Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's been mentioned a few times now, but handing Punk the Wrestlemania title match after what he did would be setting an incredibly bad example. What's to stop Bryan doing it next January if he isnt scheduled for the title match? Not saying he will, but that is the precedent that will be set if Punk goes home to cry for a few weeks and gets handed a Wrestlemania title match afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It was all a work just to give Punk some time off and build hype for 'Mania and the run-up to it.

And it's worked, Monday's Raw is one of the most anticipated in recent memory.

J. Marston wrote: »
    It was all a work just to give Punk some time off and build hype for 'Mania and the run-up to it.

And it's worked, Monday's Raw is one of the most anticipated in recent memory.

It was all a work to completely forget about Punk's previous feuds, and ignore the winner of the Rumble by handing another guy a match for no reason?

Punk went home to cry. Thats about it. It could turn into a work, but it didnt start as one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Hogan/Michaels level politics

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Who ever though Punk would ever have such clout where he could piss off in a mood and swan back into a nice spot.

I didn't.

I am a huge fan but have to admit, seeing Wyatts v Shield, Rollins increased role, Cesaro getting some spot light was more interesting than anything Punk would have been involved in last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea Punk coming back and getting into the Main Event of WM is stupid imo . As said you have Bryan who deserves it more and people like Cesaro who have been on fire over the last few weeks .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yea Punk coming back and getting into the Main Event of WM is stupid imo . As said you have Bryan who deserves it more and people like Cesaro who have been on fire over the last few weeks .

As stupid as it may be I'd rather punk in the main event than just Orton Batista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It's been mentioned a few times now, but handing Punk the Wrestlemania title match after what he did would be setting an incredibly bad example. What's to stop Bryan doing it next January if he isnt scheduled for the title match? Not saying he will, but that is the precedent that will be set if Punk goes home to cry for a few weeks and gets handed a Wrestlemania title match afterwards.

I think if they actually had something good lined up, Punk would've been out on his arse. There has never seemed to be even any intention of moving Bryan away from that match with Hunter. Were they willing to ditch that, Punk would have been completely unnecessary but, as it stands, they've put themselves into a corner.

I think Punk's a spiteful little man, but he was totally in the right if he's after sticking around for an extended period under false promises only for the position he was promised to go to something so undoubtedly awful as Batista vs Orton. WWE are only setting a bad precedent for future years if they proceed to line up such an absolutely horrendous main event again.

I'd much rather seen them go Punk Vs HHH and stick Bryan in the main event in a triple threat for the title.

Cant see it happening though cause that was the match in place for punk supposedly before he took his ball and went home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

It's been mentioned a few times now, but handing Punk the Wrestlemania title match after what he did would be setting an incredibly bad example.

Yeah his work in the months leading up to his exit was being kind very average.
    WWE Are probably desperate now to fix the main event EVERYBODY but them knew would suck before the Rumble. Yeah Batista is a heel but his matches are still terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He found his smile then

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't see it as Punk running home crying tbh, and think that's very unfair on Punk. I feel he's been very restrained; he's not done interviews, he's not moaned on social media. For the most part, he simply said to Vince he was going home, and by all accounts, Vince let him.

After that, it looks like the fans have dictated what happened next; it's the fans who have made it perfectly clear that they aren't happy with Orton vs Batista, and if the plans are in place for Bryan vs HHH, then it leaves Punk as the only available, top level guy who can "save" their main event.

Had the fans kept quiet, or played along with their role in the Orton/Batista feud, chances are Punk would stay at home cause WWE wouldn't have needed him. But that crowd reaction is going to force them to play some sort of card, and Punk is the best one they've got.

I also feel that we always talk about how poorly wrestlers are treated, and how unfair it can be that part-timers swan in and take their spots. So I personally admire that Punk, as the second hardest working guy there, took the chance and made it clear he wasn't happy with what was happening. The majority of other wrestlers don't have the power to make a change like he has. So fair play to him for using that drawing power he's worked damn hard to get to make the show a better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Who knows if his hiatus is a result of him throwing a hissy fit?

He could have agreed time off after the Rumble similar to what he had in 2013 after the Taker match.

He was very banged up, "experts" online were spouting that his matches had been poor the 3-4 months prior the Royal Rumble.

He could have easily requested time off months ago.

WWE have done an expert job with this one, Raw is now highly anticipated. And if he does come back, they'll have made marks out of all the so-called smarks who think they know it all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not saying it was a work all along but.... Were there not stories of a planned Summer of Punk part 2 type angle on the horizon before all this happened?

Who knows if his hiatus is a result of him throwing a hissy fit?

He could have agreed time off after the Rumble similar to what he had in 2013 after the Taker match.

He was smack bang in the middle of a storyline when he left. If it was planned, they would have finished it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Any shoot can turn into a work because there's money involved and all parties are carnies. Hell Shane Douglas eventually got to work with Ric Flair!

It's important to note that Punk left right before Mania, and that large payday with whatever he was doing, and didn't stick out his few months left over principal. He's also foregoing future royalties because he's in breach of contract. That's quite admirable (and stubborn) stance. His leaving also opens up a spot for someone else on the roster. So good for him.

The question is has he signed a new contract or will he still leave in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The question is has he signed a new contract or will he still leave in July?

I'm goin to go out on a limb here, and say that while Punk was on his ''sabbatical'' from the WWE, he was in secret contract negotiations with Vince & only Vince the entire time he was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It could be he took a breath and was listening to Austin about breaking his contract and lossing all the royalties he would be due from his current contract. Under his current contract he has had the most profitable period of his career and throw away that money would be crazy from T-shirts, DVD's, Video Games,Action Figures etc. Not getting paid from them over the 20 years really would be cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Come back see out contract take a long holiday and get his body back in good shape then pick and choose what he wants to do

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's important to note that Punk left right before Mania, and that large payday with whatever he was doing, and didn't stick out his few months left over principal. .

It's also worth pointing out that reports say they still havent worked out the royalties and how the Network affects it. Not saying it still wasn't going to be a big pay day but from what I read, there was fears it wasn't going to be as big a pay day as usual...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not saying it was a work all along but.... Were there not stories of a planned Summer of Punk part 2 type angle on the horizon before all this happened?

And hasn't Punk said in the past that he has a close relationship with Vince and that Vince is a night owl like he is and sends him texts in the early hours of the morning?

Honestly I think this whole thing could have been cooked up by the two of them with only a select few knowing about it so they could 'work' the boys. I think Bischoff used to do that kind a thing a lot in WCW.

I think Bischoff used to do that kind a thing a lot in WCW.
    Why don't you read up on how well all of that went...

Guys, the notion it was all a work is completely ridiculous, get over it.

I hope at least he gets rid of those stupid mutton chops before returning :P

Why don't you read up on how well all of that went...

Guys, the notion it was all a work is completely ridiculous, get over it.

Not sure what your point is on how well it went. That's irrelevant. It happened.

I don't see what's ridiculous in suggesting it's a work either. I heard Meltzer saying about a week ago that he thought it didn't start out as a work but it may turn into one. But even he seems quite sceptical about what's going on.

Here's the clip:

The thing is, only Punk and Vince and Vince's family would really know. Has Punk got a close relationship to Vince? Yes, according to Punk. So really it's entirely plausible it's a work. This is the wrestling biz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I hope at least he gets rid of those stupid mutton chops before returning :P

is it wrong that your now CM... Burns in my head

mattingly.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

They don't see Bryan as a draw so they wouldn't really care imo. sad but true.

Not sure what your point is on how well it went. That's irrelevant. It happened.

I don't see what's ridiculous in suggesting it's a work either. I heard Meltzer saying about a week ago that he thought it didn't start out as a work but it may turn into one. But even he seems quite sceptical about what's going on.

It's relevant in that it's an absolutely moronic thing to do. If it hadn't happened, you'd have a stronger argument because at least people wouldn't be aware of how badly that kind of thing can go then.

Now "didn't start out as a work but it may turn into one" does not make all of the actions which happened prior to some kind of agreement being reached a work. For it all to be a work, it has to be intentional, that would include **** like how they had to cancel his slot at Axxess and falsely advertising him for several weeks of shows. There's way too much potential for brand damage in that kind of **** for it to reap much of reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

rovert wrote: »
    Hogan/Michaels level politics

Agreed. For a guy who claimed to hate ass kissers and politicers [he called John Cena and Rock that in his "Pipebomb of all Pipebombs" segment] he's become one himself. Goes home and sulks because a solid semi-main event/ co-main event with HHH isn't good enough for him. Comes back after a month and is handed a spot on the Title match at WM. That's some Hogan level. Goes homes, cries and comes back when it benefits him. Nothing wrong with that all wrestlers should be like that but it makes Punk and every other "I can't stand those locker room ass kissers" look like a huge hypocrite.

Punk has nothing to cry about. He was champion for well over a year. Still in the main event scene and was booked in a co main event match at WM. Not a bad "spot" for the most uncoordinated and unathletic looking guy on the roster.

It's relevant in that it's an absolutely moronic thing to do. If it hadn't happened, you'd have a stronger argument because at least people wouldn't be aware of how badly that kind of thing can go then.

Now "didn't start out as a work but it may turn into one" does not make all of the actions which happened prior to some kind of agreement being reached a work. For it all to be a work, it has to be intentional, that would include **** like how they had to cancel his slot at Axxess and falsely advertising him for several weeks of shows. There's way too much potential for brand damage in that kind of **** for it to reap much of reward.

And the WWE hasn't done anything moronic over the years, no? It's been well documented that they are unhappy about big leaks being done in their storylines, finishes to matches being revealed etc. If you were going to try something like this, and didn't want it to get out as a work, then you would tell the least amount of people possible.

As for your 'brand damage' argument, that is again dependent on it being revealed as a work, and it need not be said that it was by any party. Ever. As for the reward, if he returns to an interesting storyline that makes big money then there is the reward.

I don't know if it started out as a work and tbh I don't particularly care as long as it has a good pay-off but the facts are Punk has stated he and Vince are late-night 'text buddies', Punk never spoke out against the company, Vince never spoke out against Punk, and there seems to be a growing argument that it COULD be turned into a work. This does not poo-poo the idea that it was a work all along.

Let me ask you this: do you think McMahon and Punk have not communicated with one another these last few weeks? I personally find that hard to believe.

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Punk has nothing to cry about. He was champion for well over a year. Still in the main event scene and was booked in a co main event match at WM. Not a bad "spot" for the most uncoordinated and unathletic looking guy on the roster.

Vince? Is that you?

Meanwhile, by some accounts, his HHH match had been scrapped in favour of HHH/Bryan, meaning he was likely going to be opening the show with Kane. That is nowhere near where someone who has worked so hard for WWE and who has managed to be the guy the company rested on time and again deserved.

Advertisement