Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Wow JR got nearly as many votes as Hbk and the Rock combined. :confused:
    Some people are just morons (and I so want to use another word more vulgar than that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I like that it's only since his podcast appearances that people have really turned on every dog's favourite commentator, JR.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I think he is wrong on that one. He has not been missed at all. Bar Chicago when they played into it, the chants have been minimal. WWE called his bluff and now he is sitting at home doing nothing.

Anyone who disagrees and says he is doing my wifey is getting blocked :pac:

The chants have been minimal? :confused: Do you actually watch Raw? There were louder on last weeks episode than they have been in a while and there's still a serious amount of Punk t-shirts visible in the crowd week in and week out. He's not been forgotten yet anyway. I suspect that your AJ fixation is legitimately colouring your perceptions here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The chants have been minimal? :confused: Do you actually watch Raw? There were louder on last weeks episode than they have been in a while and there's still a serious amount of Punk t-shirts visible in the crowd week in and week out. He's not been forgotten yet anyway. I suspect that your AJ fixation is legitimately colouring your perceptions here. :D

Bar the Chicago episode they have been minimal. If his value was as high as he thinks, they would be constant.

My brother is a casual fan (watches Raw and the PPV's but that's it, doesnt follow it like we do) and he didnt even notice Punk was gone until the Chicago show. That's what the vast majority of the fans are.

Bar the Chicago episode they have been minimal. If his value was as high as he thinks, they would be constant.

We will have to agree to diagree. I know what I heard multiple times on Raw this week just gone and it wasn't a 'gnfnrhead' chant. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We will have to agree to diagree. I know what I heard multiple times on Raw this week just gone and it wasn't a 'gnfnrhead' chant. :)

You need to get a hearing test. I heard the deafening gnfnrhead chants all night :pac:

You need to get a hearing test. I heard the deafening gnfnrhead chants all night :pac:

:D You only heard what you wanted to hear. Vickie wasn't offering to officiate at your marriage to AJ either (though that might explain why Ms.Lee looked so aghast I'll grant you). :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

TBF there is a lot of nWo but apart of Hall, I doubt many people want to see the antics of Nash and Hogan anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I like that it's only since his podcast appearances that people have really turned on every dog's favourite commentator, JR.
    He does come across as a fierce loser nerd in them all, doesn't he? Like, he knows his ****, but he's so cranky towards everyone he perceives to be beneath him and such an arsewipe to everyone above him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

On Steve Austin's latest podcast, he had the following to say about CM Punk and WWE:

"I'm telling you, I'm going to stick to my prediction that CM Punk is going to make his return at WrestleMania 30 in New Orleans. I made this prediction two months ago here on the show. It's been a long time, I think he's cooled his jets, he's got some rest, and I think it's time to get back to work. I don't see him participating in a match but it would be great to see him in a run-in to establish himself, to entrench himself immediately in a memorable and just a great moment, and I would say plant himself firmly in the middle of an angle, because he would be the angle, by attacking whoever he sees fit to attack or asserting his presence rather, whatever the case may be. But I see CM Punk coming back at WrestleMania 30. Who knows if it will happen. We will know in about six short days when WrestleMania actually happens."

Hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Hmmm.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I found Heyman's comments from the interview quoted in the new heyman guy thread interesting. He said the only people in the room before Punk's walkout were : Vince, HHH and Punk. Those comments and Punk's silence are somewhat intriguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I genuinely see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Bryan/Authority storyline has been great recently.

Hopefully Punk isn't shoehorned into that somehow, but what else will they do with him?

It'll be the final minutes of the triple threat (in which there's no DQ), Bryan will have Orton or Batista in the Yes Lock. Punk interferes, costs Bryan the title.

Shítstorm ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So Paul Heyman called it 2 months ago that CM Punk is going to return at Wrestlemania XXX, what are the chances he'll get involved in the Daniel Bryan/Triple H match and screw Bryan sending Hunter into the title match.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So Paul Heyman called it 2 months ago that CM Punk is going to return at Wrestlemania XXX, what are the chances he'll get involved in the Daniel Bryan/Triple H match and screw Bryan sending Hunter into the title match.......

When did Heyman say that? I doubt a WWE employee would give away something like that. If Punk was going to be at WM30 he'd be promoted into a big match.

Unless he's injured...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Comes back to join Heyman helping Lesnar break Taker's streak.

Ok, I'm slow but just realised "Taker's" and "streak" have the same letters. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Comes back to help HHH beat Bryan. hunter gives Punk the title the next night. Summer of Sell Out Punk vs Bryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Only place he fits is in the Main Event scene but it's already so crowded with a face and 3 heels. Maybe he helps Bryan win the title? What's the point in that? Surely you're not going to add a 4th heel to the title mix?

I just can't see it.

If they bring him back better off holding him until Raw the night after.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Comes back to help HHH beat Bryan. hunter gives Punk the title the next night. Summer of Sell Out Punk vs Bryan.
    I'd prefer Bryan beating HHH, then HHH interfering in the main event to almost cost Bryan, then Punk comes out to even the odds, but instead he drops the leg on Bryan and joins the authority, before getting the belt and moving on to summer of sellout

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

If he were to come back, joining the authority would be ridiculous! They already have HHH, Kane, batista, NAO and Randy Orton - what could Punk add and what would everyone else do, particularly Batista and Orton?

I would have Bryan beat HHH, then be about to win the title - hunter interferes but gets stopped by the returning Punk - Bryan wins, punk and bryan celebrate for a happy, feel good "wrestlemania moment" - then you've got a continuation of what Punk's Wrestlemania match was supposed to be vs HHH/authority - title rematches with the rest of the authority for D-Bryan, throw in a few tag team matches and whatnot and keep it going till Summerslam. Then...boom - Autumn of sell out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

JrdanB wrote: »
    If he were to come back, joining the authority would be ridiculous! They already have HHH, Kane, batista, NAO and Randy Orton - what could Punk add and what would everyone else do, particularly Batista and Orton?

I would have Bryan beat HHH, then be about to win the title - hunter interferes but gets stopped by the returning Punk - Bryan wins, punk and bryan celebrate for a happy, feel good "wrestlemania moment" - then you've got a continuation of what Punk's Wrestlemania match was supposed to be vs HHH/authority - title rematches with the rest of the authority for D-Bryan, throw in a few tag team matches and whatnot and keep it going till Summerslam. Then...boom - Autumn of sell out!

If the plan is to have Bryan walk out with the title, his win should be all about him; that story would overshadow Bryan's win completely and the focus of the ending would be Punk vs Hunter. If Bryan walking out with the title is the Mania endgame, it should be clean as a whistle, followed by him taking the focus of the spotlight entirely. Not as a second string to the real hero of the story in Punk.

Meanwhile, what would Punk offer? Instant top level heel heat; his character would instantly fit in with the one Hunter is running; the "lol smarks suckz" characters. A heel Punk saying he abandoned the fans to get a bigger paycheque and better working conditions, like he "deserves". A top guy who can drop Pipebombs on Bryan, and deliver matches on a top basis.

Orton is pretty much out of the Authority, NAO will likely disappear post-Mania, Kane is a retired muscle guy. The dynamic between a heel Punk and heel Batista, with face Bryan and face/tweener Orton would give you top level work for 6 months. Throw in Cena cutting into "Sell Out Punk", Bray getting involved, The Shield....Heel Punk in the Authority pretty much gives you a years worth of potential.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Damn you all (and Meltzer/Austin too)... just like Chicago im now letting myself get my hopes up for a big epic return... hope at the very least if it doesen't happen Bryan still wins cos then I won't care so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Throw a bet on the field in the Battle Royale, it is the as yet unnamed couple of guys, hope Punk is in this to win it, the internet will explode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I think people are getting a bit over-excited and are reading/hearing Punk rumours that aren't even there.

Run-ins, swerves and heel turns rarely ever work well at Wrestlemania.

CM-Punk-Arrives-in-New-Orleans.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I think people are getting a bit over-excited and are reading/hearing Punk rumours that aren't even there.

Run-ins, swerves and heel turns rarely ever work well at Wrestlemania.

CM-Punk-Arrives-in-New-Orleans.jpg

In recent years maybe not, but there was a run-in in every mania from 13 to 18. A handful in later years too with The Rock costing Cena to setup their feud etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Hell return as a babyface in a 3 minute backstage comedy segment with Hornswoggle, Jinny hart, farooq and dusty Rhodes at mania.

I guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I have to say, I haven't watched wrestling in years, but having seen the cena/punk Chicago match from 2011 I am astounded this guy wasn't main event for wrestlemania that year. The match was great, crowd reaction was phenomenal home town or not I can't remember many like it, ever, and not to capitalise on that is genuinely baffling. During the 2k years, that would have been the start of a new era. Why would you dump that heat for a few limp returns by the rock? And Batista? He wasn't a good draw in his heyday.

Maybe I'm missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I have to say, I haven't watched wrestling in years, but having seen the cena/punk Chicago match from 2011 I am astounded this guy wasn't main event for wrestlemania that year. The match was great, crowd reaction was phenomenal home town or not I can't remember many like it, ever, and not to capitalise on that is genuinely baffling. During the 2k years, that would have been the start of a new era. Why would you dump that heat for a few limp returns by the rock? And Batista? He wasn't a good draw in his heyday.

Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm pretty certain the reason is that Rock drew greater ratings and sold more PPVs than Punk. That 2011 Summer of Punk while generating a lot of talk and interest in the audience didn't move the numbers fast enough and that's what counts in WWE unforunately.

Batista is in a big Summer movie hence why he's around atm.

It's a shame we didn't get Punk/Cena at a Wrestlemania because I thought they were great together, their 25 minute Raw match last year was excellent but Vince was tired of seeing them wrestle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

There are a few things I noticed while watching "recent" (i.e. the last 3 years) matches, of the few I've seen:

Everything has a very hokey old-timey character to it. I can't explain it, but it just seems like wrestling has taken a step back into cheesy gimmicks (sheamus doesn't really have a leprechaun companion, does he?) and "fun for the under 5's only".
    Matches are slow, dull, and seem to be made up of long submission holds, a few special moves, broken up by very long pauses while both competitors sit around "feeling the effects". The Rock and Stone Cold were never technically great wrestlers but the matches always flowed well and had good pace and energy. When there was a pause it was always when the audience had just taken a "did we just see that?" breath. Now, it's all quiet, the audience are watching guys sit around the floor of the ring for 90% of the match, and there aren't any buildups or exchanges before a signature move is deployed. Kicking out of a Finisher used to be a big deal, now those are the only moves attempted, so they aren't finishers in any meaningful sense.
    There isn't a lot of depth of quality in the roster. There are 2 or 3 top guys and the rest are.. filler? The Shield look decent. But 10 years ago, you could see great, high paced matches all up and down the card, and even the fillers had some sort of background and purpose. That doesn't seem to be the case now.

I'd probably have to watch more, but that just seems like first impressions.

• Advertisement

Everything has a very hokey old-timey character to it. I can't explain it, but it just seems like wrestling has taken a step back into cheesy gimmicks (sheamus doesn't really have a leprechaun companion, does he?) and "fun for the under 5's only".

Sheamus doesn't have a leprechaun companion and for me the main problem with today's roster isn't cheesy gimmicks, it's that there's not enough variety or character to the gimmicks! There's waaaaay too many guys who are basically called First Name Last Name, wear dark wrestling shorts and are reasonably good or reasonably bad people. The handful of breakout success stories in the last year or two have had fairly pronounced gimmicks (The Wyatts in particular and The Shield). There's just nothing that stands out about way too much of the roster. What makes Darren Young or Titus O'Neill tick? What drives veterans like Christian or even Orton these days? Is Kofi Kingston passionate about anything? Ditto Cody Rhodes. There's some talented men (and some not so talented) listed there but it's hard to care about somebody who doesn't seem to care. Even Wade Barrett was treading water recently UNTIL he started to somehow get over with a very, very cheesy gimmick.
    Matches are slow, dull, and seem to be made up of long submission holds, a few special moves, broken up by very long pauses while both competitors sit around "feeling the effects". The Rock and Stone Cold were never technically great wrestlers but the matches always flowed well and had good pace and energy. When there was a pause it was always when the audience had just taken a "did we just see that?" breath. Now, it's all quiet, the audience are watching guys sit around the floor of the ring for 90% of the match, and there aren't any buildups or exchanges before a signature move is deployed. Kicking out of a Finisher used to be a big deal, now those are the only moves attempted, so they aren't finishers in any meaningful sense.

I think you're being a small bit unfair there, there are plenty of guys putting on matches that are decent at least. The top of the card is full of part-timers who can't really go anymore without having a match full of spots for them though and as a result there's been a shortage of quality main events for what feels like ages now. I don't agree with the implication that finishers don't matter anymore either, I think the lack of one has held Dolph Ziggler back amongst others and helped other guys get over (Orton comes to mind instantly).
    There isn't a lot of depth of quality in the roster. There are 2 or 3 top guys and the rest are.. filler? The Shield look decent. But 10 years ago, you could see great, high paced matches all up and down the card, and even the fillers had some sort of background and purpose. That doesn't seem to be the case now.

I agree 100% there's not enough credible names at the top of the card. It's still the Cena show rightly or wrongly (wrongly obviously but I'm trying to be fair here) with Orton and, for now at least, Bryan operating just under this (Punk was arguably at this level too to be fair). The talent underneath this has been repeatedly thrown at the feet of these top guys and whatever part-timer has come back and needs to be built up again. All the way down the ladder from Sheamus to Dolph to Kofi to Curt Hawkins there are talented guys who are worth some sort of a push to the next stage to see if they sink or swim. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

It's like... why job your new tag champs out to Orton/Batista? Aside from making The Usos look weak (and they hardly looked super strong in trading victories with the just out of retirement New Age Outlaws, particularly when that pair got crushed at Mania) did it really enhance Orton or Batista? Strange, strange stuff.

Advertisement