Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

One thing you can't complain about in 2014 WWE is the quality of wrestling.

Match quality on a weekly basis is better then it's been in WWE for a long, long time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Moneymaker wrote: »
    One thing you can't complain about in 2014 WWE is the quality of wrestling.

Match quality on a weekly basis is better then it's been in WWE for a long, long time imo.

Shame the vast majority of it means nothing.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Shame the vast majority of it means nothing.

It's a bunch of guys in tights fake fighting.

It doesn't have to "mean" anything. I sit for a few hours a week to be entertained and watch some wrestling.

The more I think about jaykhunters words the more I think he was 100% correct. People really will complain about anything. It's tiresome.

I'm not aiming this tirade at you ftr, I just felt like a good rant. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

It doesn't have to "mean" anything. I sit for a few hours a week to be entertained and watch some wrestling.

The more I think about jaykhunters words the more I think he was 100% correct. People really will complain about anything. It's tiresome.

The moaning is part of the fun. I get more pleasure out of reading wrestling fans rants about the current product than actually watching the wrestling itself, sad as that is.

I'd rather watch Triple H vs Daniel Bryan as it has something behind it. The alternative is matches like Rusev vs Zack Ryder with nothing behind it.

If it doesnt mean anything, dont include it on Raw. It's not like they are short of TV shows.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'd rather watch Triple H vs Daniel Bryan as it has something behind it. The alternative is matches like Rusev vs Zack Ryder with nothing behind it.

If it doesnt mean anything, dont include it on Raw. It's not like they are short of TV shows.

If every match is built up like that feud then you stop having great matches. The magic would be gone.

Filler matches have their purpose and place.

If every match is built up like that feud then you stop having great matches. The magic would be gone.

Filler matches have their purpose and place.

Doesnt have to be a huge match like that every time. No reason Big E for example cant have an actual feud with someone that includes a handful of tag matches against him and promos rather than random matches for no reason against random roster members.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I agree thee is too much nothing in 2014. It's been that way for years. What does it matter when Wrestler A beats Wrestler B in a great match when Wrestler B will beat Wrestler A in a great match a few days later, then they go their separate ways.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Matches should be at least made to look like the outcome has some importance.

Kofi Kingston can wrestle Del Rio time and time again (the matches are normally good) but with no reason to care who wins or reason for the match taking place then why are they wrestling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So, would the following guesswork about cover the summer of punk (bearing in mind I've only seen a few bits and pieces in the course of the arc):

CM Punk does the pipe bomb promo, gets a massive push from the crowd, and has a spectacular match with a normally rubbish jobber, with a great payoff and a number of ways to play the outcome.

Over the summer the midcard isn't built up, there's little happening apart from the feud, and there are only two top guys who have to carry the whole promotion across two shows because the roster isn't split anymore, edge has retired, and the others are part timers or crocked.

Creative panics, brings back the rock, and a guy who had a massive opportunity to be a headline face has to turn heel because the other guy can't/won't do it. The Rock picks up an obvious storyline that another full timer could have been built up to do.

Then everything muddles along while everyone waits for the rock to leave again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

So, would the following guesswork about cover the summer of punk (bearing in mind I've only seen a few bits and pieces in the course of the arc):

CM Punk does the pipe bomb promo, gets a massive push from the crowd, and has a spectacular match with a normally rubbish jobber, with a great payoff and a number of ways to play the outcome.

Over the summer the midcard isn't built up, there's little happening apart from the feud, and there are only two top guys who have to carry the whole promotion across two shows because the roster isn't split anymore, edge has retired, and the others are part timers or crocked.

Creative panics, brings back the rock, and a guy who had a massive opportunity to be a headline face has to turn heel because the other guy can't/won't do it. The Rock picks up an obvious storyline that another full timer could have been built up to do.

Then everything muddles along while everyone waits for the rock to leave again.

Cena for his all his faults could hardly be considered a jobber, he's been the face of the company for over a decade now and has had some pretty fantastic matches over the years, it's just the character he plays is beyond stale and is basically this generation's Hulk Hogan, always pulls through at the last minute kinda thing.

Cena is one of the best in the company and is fully deserving of his main event status. The exact opposite of a rubbish jobber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Hmm. Interesting. I've read nothing but bad things about cena the wrestler, as opposed to cena the make a wish granter/company spokesman and haven't seen many of his matches, apart from when he was starting out and quite green.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hmm. Interesting. I've read nothing but bad things about cena the wrestler, as opposed to cena the make a wish granter/company spokesman and haven't seen many of his matches, apart from when he was starting out and quite green.

His performances range from really sloppy (he's in the business over a decade and still can't throw a convincing punch) to brilliant depending on his opponent, he even managed to drag a passable match out of the Great Khali. Check out his Royal Rumble 07 match with Umaga for an example of when he can pull a great match out of the bag or his match against HBK in London. As a person Cena seems like a good guy and hes an absolute workhorse for the company both in and out of the ring, it's just his character people don't like, been doing the same thing since 2006 now and it's boring as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Johk Cena backstage seems to be alright. At Wrestlemania one year Brodus got bumped for Cena's match, Cena shows up in gorilla and asks how long Brodus needs to do his schtick to whit he says 10mins. John Cena informed them in gorilla that he was going to the jacks and would be back in 10 minutes.

The segment sucked obviously but I doubt Hogan or Austin would have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Ironic that you post that clip seen as his Wrestlemaina 29 match was bumped for Cena vs. Rock part 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I watched the Best in the World documentary again last night and his whole "I want to change things but can't change things from my couch in Chicago" seems more daft now than it did then.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I watched the Best in the World documentary again last night and his whole "I want to change things but can't change things from my couch in Chicago" seems more daft now than it did then.

To be fair to the guy it's pretty reasonable to assume that he's realised he actually can't change things at pro wrestling's top table, regardless of him being on the couch or in the ring and accordingly he has walked away/thrown toys from pram (delete as applicable).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Fact is we still don't know why he walked away as he or WWE hasn't said much since the night he took his ball home. We don't know what happened or what actually has changed since then. I like to think the WWE has done well in his absense storyline wise and slowly doing the right things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

They rarely talk about talent that leave these days.

The days of Vince coming out and burying someone who's just walked out are long gone.

WWE are smart to burn burn any bridges. I mean, look how silly HHH and others looked over the HOF weekend after the slating he gave Warrior on that DVD.

• Advertisement

They rarely talk about talent that leave these days.

The days of Vince coming out and burying someone who's just walked out are long gone.

WWE are smart to burn burn any bridges. I mean, look how silly HHH and others looked over the HOF weekend after the slating he gave Warrior on that DVD.

The odd thing to me is Punk not being vocal. We all know that he is annoyed at the upper management in WWE IRL. If he left why is he being quite?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Jester252 wrote: »
    The odd thing to me is Punk not being vocal. We all know that he is annoyed at the upper management in WWE IRL. If he left why is he being quite?

He is 35 or so now, no spring chicken supposedly engaged, maybe he just does not want to burn his bridges? What would he gain anyways by slagging off the E?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yep, If he doesn't bad mouth them, he'll probably get a cushy legends contract somewhere down the line.

That's assuming he stays gone.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    He is 35 or so now, no spring chicken supposedly engaged, maybe he just does not want to burn his bridges? What would he gain anyways by slagging off the E?

Nothing but it never stopped him before. Just seems out of character for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yep, If he doesn't bad mouth them, he'll probably get a cushy legends contract somewhere down the line.

That's assuming he stays gone.

And lets not forget AJ who he supposedly got engaged to is still their, so he is probably aware she would get some backlash if he was to tear them up in an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

AJ doesn't need anymore heat, brother. He's not been a massive loss either.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Nothing but it never stopped him before. Just seems out of character for the guy.

People grow up too though. It probably is that simple.

People grow up too though. It probably is that simple.

Because Punk walking away was a grown up thing to do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Because Punk walking away was a grown up thing to do

In a larger picture, it probably was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Don't really miss him all that much. Amazing on the mic but pretty sloppy in the ring. Fairly poor look body wise too.

Advertisement