Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It's only been a couple of months, and he was (and still is) one of the biggest names in wrestling. It's a bit soon to expect to be forgotten. I agree fans should give him space and camping outside someone's house is wrong. It is difficult to be sympathetic for a guy who said "gimmetheball gimmetheball gimmetheball gimmetheball gimmetheball" for years, and got it. I notice he's been enjoying his special treatment at various sports games, so I feels like a "woe is me, why can't I be normal when it suits me"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

He probably can't do this as he is still under contract.

Yeah Wrestlers kayfabe their entry into the company and their exit. There seems to be a confidentiality clause in operation.

Random example that I remember was the Bellas when they left for like a year. A Comic Con thing announced that they would be doing their first post-WWE signing weeks before they were going to leave. The Bellas then did the whole ahhh don't believe the dirtsheets deal. Then ended up finishing with WWE and did the Comic Con thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Well that article tells us all we need to know. No chance he's coming back now.

Retired with a whimper. What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Well that article tells us all we need to know. No chance he's coming back now.

Retired with a whimper. What a shame.

I think he'll be back, but not right now. He'll get the deal that the likes of Lesnar get. Show up every now and then, work a few matches, and go home again. He's done as a full timer but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

SUMMERSLAM 2014............. That's when CM Punk will return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

Was anybody here and I don't how to word this properly but was anybody an internet aware wrestling fan back in 2002 when Stone Cold took his ball, cause there are differences and similarities. Differences is that there is no reference to Punk on TV, yet Stone Cold was buried. Similarities burn out and unhappy with creative. My point being could you see Punk coming back like Stone Cold did or are they quietly just going to let his contract run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Was anybody here and I don't how to word this properly but was anybody an internet aware wrestling fan back in 2002 when Stone Cold took his ball, cause there are differences and similarities. Differences is that there is no reference to Punk on TV, yet Stone Cold was buried. Similarities burn out and unhappy with creative. My point being could you see Punk coming back like Stone Cold did or are they quietly just going to let his contract run out.

I read Powerslam at the time if that counts...

I think WWE and Vince regretted burying Austin like they did. There are similarities I guess in that Austin wasn't happy about being demoted but there are big differences here too as noone from either side is talking about what happened. That piece linked above is as close to info leaking out as there has been. Also, Punk is still getting royalties whereas Austin wasn't.

History shows that you should never say never in wrestling so I doubt Punk has finished with wrestling forever. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

The simple difference is that backstage WWE was very different then from what it is now. With HHH and Steph having much more control we are seeing less bridges being burned and the door being left open for returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

rovert wrote: »
    Can only imagine the crazies both Punk and AJ Lee would attract separately and individually.

AJ attracts plenty of crazies on this very forum. :p

There's still Punk chants on Raw, it's silly to suggest he's been forgotten. They've gotten on with things without him (as they should have). There is literally nobody irreplaceable on the roster right now and that is definitely a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The level of activity on this thread 4 months after he left shows just how big a name he still is in WWE, I'll be amazed if we don't see him back by Summerslam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

AJ attracts plenty of crazies on this very forum. :p
    I resent that; I'm not crazy I'm simply a dedicated fan! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Can't say I've ever got the Punk hype he's moody and his disinterest shows in his matches when he isn't feeling it,he wants the glory without the celebrity which is never going to happen and he has one of the worst elbow drops of all time too he should stop doing it,I also find it ironic that the straight edge guy looks like the guy who's on the most drugs or maybe he just needs a good sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The level of activity on this thread 4 months after he left shows just how big a name he still is in WWE, I'll be amazed if we don't see him back by Summerslam.

The level of activity is due to him still being under contract and neither side saying a word. If the situation was clarified in any way, this thread would be dead.

Punk seems to be enjoying retirement:

BnUGrbNIMAEsq1d.jpg

Doesn't seem to be in training for the Payback PPV in Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Full fat Coke, jeez what happened to straight edge man?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

i thought he was a Pepsi man ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

You can be straight edge and drink coke/Pepsi. Some strands of straight edge aren't keen on it but others don't mind. Lots of off shoots in the culture!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

You can be straight edge and drink coke/Pepsi. Some strands of straight edge aren't keen on it but others don't mind. Lots of off shoots in the culture!

1.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The level of activity is due to him still being under contract and neither side saying a word. If the situation was clarified in any way, this thread would be dead.

if orton walked out tomorrow without a word i am sure there would be as much hype online over his return

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Pentecost wrote: »
    Full fat Coke, jeez what happened to straight edge man?

Sure that time he took the pic of the WWE title in his fridge there was a bunch of red bull cans in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

rossie1977 wrote: »
    if orton walked out tomorrow without a word i am sure there would be as much hype online over his return

cm+punk+is+not+impressed+best+in+the+world+_84b12b9744207601e7b3eb88c48cd907.jpg

rovert wrote: »
    Punk seems to be enjoying retirement:

BnUGrbNIMAEsq1d.jpg

Doesn't seem to be in training for the Payback PPV in Chicago.

How much chocolate is he getting through his letter box :) , definitely not ring shape fair play to him enjoying his time off? retirement?, retirement at 35 not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

If CM Punk came back would he get a big reception?

Yes of course, massive fan favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

In that pic he reminds me a little of Fat Mac from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Yes he would. Almost everyone who was a main eventer returns to at least one big reaction. Whether or not it would be sustained over a period of time is another question. It's doubtful he would be as hot as he was in 2011 but if he was booked in a main event programme then maybe he could be. If he was given the IC title and an undercard spot then he would likely cool off and become a 'what if?' story. If he's as bitter or at the least pissed off about WWE as he seems to be then he might stay away for years and leave it too late for another hot run.

It is all moot of course as the linked article written by his friend states he has retired and she reiterated this on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If it was on some nothing Raw show someplace with a dead crowd, yes.if it was in Chicago? roof would come off.

This is still one of the best crowd reactions ever, like ever. I showed this to some non wrestling fans and they couldnt get over the reception he got, it just kept getting louder.

that bit around 3.45 when he stands up from sitting in the ring and the crowd just goes utterly bananas, most atheletes, never mind just wrestlers will go an entire career without that kind of reaction.

krudler wrote: »
    If it was on some nothing Raw show someplace with a dead crowd, yes.if it was in Chicago? roof would come off.

If Punk showed up at Raw anywhere, the place would go bananas. If CM Punk was to be brought back would be done in big fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Absolutely. I stopped being a massive WWE fan after the end of the Attitude era (maybe 2002-3 or so I think) but when I did decide to catch up CM Punk is the one who caught my attention.

Certainly a more interesting character than Cena. For some reason I imagine he would of been a perfect member of the original DX.

• Advertisement

A Hiterly looking Punk at Luke Gallows's wedding last week:
    10354331_760101534030811_681014781_n.jpg

Advertisement