Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I firmly believe crowds should be allowed chant what they want; they have bought tickets. It's up to WWE to shut them up, be it through exciting angles or closure of some form.

Of course.

Doesn't mean what they chant is intelligent.

I agree that the emphasis is on the product to keep the crowd entertained and focused on whats actually happening in front of them though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

orestes wrote: »
    Apart from at the HOF ceremony, the crowd at that needs to be more respectful imo.

Again, I feel if people have bought a ticket to a wrestling event, then that's how they are entitled to act.

I agree it gets annoying at the HOF but then I think the onus is on WWE to either keep it to invited guests only or to shrink the crowd size and enforce formal wear, etc.

But since it's advertised as a wrestling event, you can't be shocked when wrestling event crowds show up and act like wrestling crowds. A lot of the people will have spent a lot of money for a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's truly amazing how this all started 6 months ago, yet 6 MONTHS LATER it's still being talked about.

Not that i'm advocating a CM Punk return anytime soon, (He'll be back WHEN & IF he feels ready, or f his battery's are recharged enough.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I thought that particular set of chanting for Punk was more to do with fans being bored of John Cena and yet another authority segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I thought that particular set of chanting for Punk was more to do with fans being bored of John Cena and yet another authority segment.

Then chant Daniel Bryan or Roman Reigns or anybody else they want to see instead. Chanting CM Punk at this stage, outside of Chicago, is just to draw attention to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Then chant Daniel Bryan or Roman Reigns or anybody else they want to see instead. Chanting CM Punk at this stage, outside of Chicago, is just to draw attention to themselves.
    +1 to this. Like when AJ returned last week they were chanting CM Punk simply because AJ is involved with him. Kind of sad that they are chanting for a superstar that turned his back on them rather than chanting about how awesome the return was or about how good the show was. Very sad and it p1sses me off no end. It's almost as bad as the "We are awesome" chants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    +1 to this. Like when AJ returned last week they were chanting CM Punk simply because AJ is involved with him. Kind of sad that they are chanting for a superstar that turned his back on them rather than chanting about how awesome the return was or about how good the show was. Very sad and it p1sses me off no end. It's almost as bad as the "We are awesome" chants.

I think a lot of people would disagree with the idea that he turned his back on the fans. Based on what has been reported about the Punk situation, he seems to have left based on disillusionment with how he has been booked rather than anything and has had the balls to stick it to WWE by going home. This is something that a lot of people would love to be in a position to do and is something that older fans (i.e. the ones chanting for Punk every week) can understand and identify with.

The problem WWE is facing now is that in the storyline the faces are being booked to get cheered for standing up to the authority. Based on the reports of the Punk situation, his leaving looks like a stand up to the authority (slightly different to TV in that Vince is still the person with the main authority) so in a weird way WWE are glorifying Punks behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

beakerjoe wrote: »
    The fans arent chanting it to show there dismay, they are doing it because its "the cool" thing to do. Bar Chicago, no one really misses Punk that much now.

i guess all the online searches for his name every day, the thousands of comments on any online article that mentions him or the fact that he is still number 2 merch seller in the wwe only occur because "its the cool thing to do".

people do miss punk. if wwe had a strong roster of top faces punks absence wouldn't be felt as much but the top babyface in the company is hated by the majority of smarks, the next top face has only been a singles wrestler for a month and quite a number of smarks are starting to turn against him because they feel rollins and ambrose deserve just as much a push. punks the antithesis of everything cena, reigns (and sheamus if you want to throw in the number 3 face) represent.

time isn't going to make people forget in this situation. the longer this drags on the more mystic punk builds around himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i guess all the online searches for his name every day, the thousands of comments on any online article that mentions him or the fact that he is still number 2 merch seller in the wwe only occur because "its the cool thing to do".

people do miss punk. if wwe had a strong roster of top faces punks absence wouldn't be felt as much but the top babyface in the company is hated by the majority of smarks, the next top face has only been a singles wrestler for a month and quite a number of smarks are starting to turn against him because they feel rollins and ambrose deserve just as much a push. punks the antithesis of everything cena, reigns (and sheamus if you want to throw in the number 3 face) represent.

time isn't going to make people forget in this situation. the longer this drags on the more mystic punk builds around himself.

Whether you feel like you miss Punk or not, I feel fans chant his name out of boredom of whats going on in the ring and not for actually missing Punk. Ever since Raw after Mania 29, its been the cool thing to try hijack a show with chants.

I would like to see him return but Im not missing him too much either and I feel myself as a fan dont really care as much. Im sure people do miss Punk, but not as much as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

I want to see a Punk v Ambrose feud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

You just have to let it die out naturally

I know I felt the same way about "What!" chants years ago ,they had gone stale taking over every characters mike time at every Raw and Smackdown
    but when i got to go to a live event ,I joined in all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I feel fans chant his name out of boredom of whats going on in the ring and not for actually missing Punk.

Totally agreed. Whatever it might've been months ago is now a "we're bored, what you're presenting isn't good enough, let's chant for Punk" time-filler. Basically the 2014 Mexican wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

07-07-201411-30-296450_zps88ee04f5.jpg

Don't mock CM Punk's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You just have to let it die out naturally

I know I felt the same way about "What!" chants years ago ,they had gone stale taking over every characters mike time at every Raw and Smackdown
    but when i got to go to a live event ,I joined in all the same.

The What chant is easily the single worst thing to happen the WWE. A gigantic ****esmelling blotch on the Stone Cold Steve Austin copybook.

CSF wrote: »
    The What chant is easily the single worst thing to happen the WWE. A gigantic ****esmelling blotch on the Stone Cold Steve Austin copybook.

8098008.jpg

Debatable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Not sure what this is, guessing it's from a time I wisely stopped watching.

Mike Adamle : Former Raw commentator GM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I think a lot of people would disagree with the idea that he turned his back on the fans. Based on what has been reported about the Punk situation, he seems to have left based on disillusionment with how he has been booked rather than anything and has had the balls to stick it to WWE by going home. This is something that a lot of people would love to be in a position to do and is something that older fans (i.e. the ones chanting for Punk every week) can understand and identify with.

The problem WWE is facing now is that in the storyline the faces are being booked to get cheered for standing up to the authority. Based on the reports of the Punk situation, his leaving looks like a stand up to the authority (slightly different to TV in that Vince is still the person with the main authority) so in a weird way WWE are glorifying Punks behaviour.
    Are you implying I'm a teenage Cena fan? My posts on here show I am an older fan (by WWE standards). I still think that walking out before your contract is over is the ultimate sign of disrespect to everyone you work with, and if you are a sports person, your fans. I was p1ssed off when Rooney held the club to ransom and I'm p1ssed at Punk for this.

And no they are not "glorifying" Punk. The original plan was to have Punk vs Trips at WM 30, not Bryan vs HHH. It was going to be Punk taking on the Authority. And because he wasn't in the main event he got all p1ssy and took his ball and went home essentially. I have no sympathy for the man. I couldn't even care less if he came back at this stage, the product has actually gotten better since he left. But anyway, back to why it isn't glorifying Punk. This storyline (of superstars facing up to The Authority) isn't anything new in the wrestling business, never mind the WWE. It was around long before Punk was even lacing up boots and it'll be around long after fans have stopped chanting his name at events. Punk does not own storylines because of what he believed in or did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

rossie1977 wrote: »

You might have left someone out on the babyface list.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    You might have left someone out on the babyface list.

Hehe, had noticed that too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Totally agreed. Whatever it might've been months ago is now a "we're bored, what you're presenting isn't good enough, let's chant for Punk" time-filler. Basically the 2014 Mexican wave.

As somebody alluded above though it's easy stop the chants then. Stop booking rubbish. The Authority stuff with HHH and Steph is the same every week. It's boring. People don't want to watch them for a quarter hour at a time.

Likewise the AJ/Paige 'confrontation' was an absolute abortion of a segment and it wasn't much better once the bell rang.

All of this misses the point anyway, the crowd aren't as indifferent to Punk as his detractors would like to believe (there's still a lot of Punk shirts in the crowd too and it would be easy to chant "boring, boring" as crowds have done for years if that was all they wanted to convey. Nor are they heartbroken by his absence. They are in attendance at WWE shows after all. The beauty of contemporary WWE (and there's not much at times) is that, and I've said it before, no one guy is irreplaceable. Bryan's near total absence hasn't made a blind bit of difference to the average WWE fan, it's just the likes of us here who actually miss his contribution on a week to week basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Are you implying I'm a teenage Cena fan? My posts on here show I am an older fan (by WWE standards). I still think that walking out before your contract is over is the ultimate sign of disrespect to everyone you work with, and if you are a sports person, your fans. I was p1ssed off when Rooney held the club to ransom and I'm p1ssed at Punk for this.

I'm not implying anything about you, just stating facts about the Punk situation - absolutely nothing to do with you or what age you are.

I completely agree with you regarding walking out on a contract being disrespectful; I see it that way too. All I was saying is that the older fans (of which you are one) generally would love to be able to tell their boss to shove it at times and most can identify with it - That was half the appeal of Austin when he was feuding with McMahon!

A couple of years ago, Punk threatened (Kayfabe, I know) to walk out of the company with the WWE championship and got over huge as a face for it and for basically sticking it to the company in his promos. Now that he has walked away for real, it's hardly a surprise that people are chanting his name!
    And no they are not "glorifying" Punk. The original plan was to have Punk vs Trips at WM 30, not Bryan vs HHH. It was going to be Punk taking on the Authority. And because he wasn't in the main event he got all p1ssy and took his ball and went home essentially. I have no sympathy for the man. I couldn't even care less if he came back at this stage, the product has actually gotten better since he left. But anyway, back to why it isn't glorifying Punk. This storyline (of superstars facing up to The Authority) isn't anything new in the wrestling business, never mind the WWE. It was around long before Punk was even lacing up boots and it'll be around long after fans have stopped chanting his name at events. Punk does not own storylines because of what he believed in or did.

I can understand your points above and I agree with a lot of them. However, what my post was talking about was fans chanting for Punk and the reason they are doing it.

I also did not say they were glorifying Punk, I said they were glorifying his behaviour in walking away and sticking it to WWE by portraying something similar on TV (i.e. feuding with the authority) as a thing that the top faces do. Yes, the top faces have been doing that for years on TV and will be doing it for a long time to come but the nature of Pro Wrestling is that there is a blurred line between storyline and reality. It would be hard to expect the fans to say that in the storyline, feuding with your boss is cool but that for the same guy to do so in real life is not cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

I notice Bayley retweeted something he posted earlier on. Would it be frowned upon by the higher ups to be interacting with him on social media etc?

I notice Bayley retweeted something he posted earlier on. Would it be frowned upon by the higher ups to be interacting with him on social media etc?

Why would it? :confused:

What she does in her own time or who she interacts with is her business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

So no WWE superstar has ever gotten in trouble for something they have tweeted?

So no WWE superstar has ever gotten in trouble for something they have tweeted?

There is somewhat of a difference between retweeting something non-WWE from a soon to be ex-employee, and openly airing your grievances for the company you still work for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Gut feeling no she wouldn't.

CM Punk is still a WWE contracted employee until July 17th. WWE has never really buried him either. If anything WWE is trying to get him back.

So what happens to Punk after July 17th? Will he still be a WWE employee or a free agent??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So what happens to Punk after July 17th? Will he still be a WWE employee or a free agent??

Free agent.

July 17th was the date of Money in the Bank 2011. The actual date of expiry is kind of unknown.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    Free agent.

July 17th was the date of Money in the Bank 2011. The actual date of expiry is kind of unknown.

Ah ha, and could Vince do anything like extend Punk's contract for the 6 months he's missed, i was wondering why July 17th was being thrown around, then it clicked shortly before you posted.

Advertisement