Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,560 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So I wonder will KENTA be allowed to use his move set that Punk stole from him now that Punk is gone or will the WWE stop him because it will remind the fans of Punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Lord TSC wrote: »
    to start labelling him as bitter and resentful seems....

Bitter and resentful in itself?

I truly don't get why so many people here are so bent out of shape by his retirement.

Some of the same people knock him for phoning it in before he quit. Surely that is a good reason? "My enthusiasm is waning, seems a fine time to get out".

Kane is castigated for not retiring on this forum with a tiring regularity. So he's in the wrong for not retiring and Punk is in the wrong for retiring? Wrestlers are flesh and blood people like the rest of us at the end of the day. He wasn't happy with his working environment so he quit. He is under no obligation of any kind to wrestle professionally to benefit WWE, his fans or his critics.

Whatever he does, best of luck to him. He hasn't killed anybody, he hasn't even committed lesser social wrongs like plenty of other guys in around the locker room. I just find it hard to be so aggrieved at a guy for being immodest.

As it is, he's exited stage left and kept a pretty low profile since. Hope he's enjoying himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Is it today his contract is supposed to run out? Someone on Facebook just said all his merch is gone from the WWE Shop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is it today his contract is supposed to run out? Someone on Facebook just said all his merch is gone from the WWE Shop.

Was earlier in the week I think. Tuesday if I remember correctly.

And there's still stuff in the shop, though he's listed as an Alumni now...

http://shop.wwe.com/CM-Punk/cmpunk,default,sc.html

Personally keeping an eye on any clearance sales though, just in case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Do people really consider Punk 'phoning it in' before he left? He did 49 minutes in Rumble right before Batista won and he left the next day :confused:

Best of luck to him anyway. Sad to see him gone, tremendous promo & wrestler. Would've loved a top feud with Bryan, and KENTA joining makes me even sadder of what could've been. It's kinda sad that his character talked about change and whatever movement pretty much failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Do people really consider Punk 'phoning it in' before he left? He did 49 minutes in Rumble right before Batista won and he left the next day :confused:

Best of luck to him anyway. Sad to see him gone, tremendous promo & wrestler. Would've loved a top feud with Bryan, and KENTA joining makes me even sadder of what could've been. It's kinda sad that his character talked about change and whatever movement pretty much failed.

Yip, only showed a fraction of his true ability about 6 months before he left. He didn't look particularly bothered or show any fire in his promos, except that one night when he was in a bad mood and called a fan fat. He was always a bit sloppy in the ring, but he was even more so sloppy in the months leading to his departure. He did 49 minutes in the Rumble, and looked exhausted after 10, but got away with it because people wanted to **** on Batista/Bryan to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He phoned it in and didn't give a fuuck for 18 months, kept doing that awful, awful elbow drop.

for a guy who phoned it in that long he still managed to have 4 of wwes best matches of 2013 (vs cena on raw in feb, taker at mania 29, jericho at payback and lesnar at summerslam).

punk was never a guy having standout matches week in week out, he wasn't that guy in roh or in wwe between 2007-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

rossie1977 wrote: »
    for a guy who phoned it in that long he still managed to have 4 of wwes best matches of 2013 (vs cena on raw in feb, taker at mania 29, jericho at payback and lesnar at summerslam).

punk was never a guy having standout matches week in week out, he wasn't that guy in roh or in wwe between 2007-10.

I'll give you the Cena and Lesnar match, but the other two are nowhere near imo.

Good matches yes for sure but wouldn't even be in my top 10, personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

CMPunked also took his ball and went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yip, only showed a fraction of his true ability about 6 months before he left. He didn't look particularly bothered or show any fire in his promos, except that one night when he was in a bad mood and called a fan fat. He was always a bit sloppy in the ring, but he was even more so sloppy in the months leading to his departure. He did 49 minutes in the Rumble, and looked exhausted after 10, but got away with it because people wanted to **** on Batista/Bryan to win.

I disagree but thanks for the concise response!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Yip, only showed a fraction of his true ability about 6 months before he left.
    As much down to insomnia, the lack of a proper break and injuries as cripplingly low motivation.

The injuries were largely due to that godawful elbow drop he added to his repertoire, seems weird to say something that's repeatedly hurting him is an example of phoning it in. It was reckless and really hard to explain. If you wanna get laughably amateur-psychiatrist about it all (and I absolutely do), you could say he kept doing that goddamn move to consciously tell himself he still wanted to push himself and/or to subconsciously get himself to a physical breaking point where he'd have no choice but to do what he done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Or he could have just asked Shawn Michaels how it's done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Or he could have just asked Shawn Michaels how it's done?

Punk has way too much of an ego to do something that sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CM Punk is going to be a guest on the Nerdist podcast in a live show at Comic-Con.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

As much down to insomnia, the lack of a proper break and injuries as cripplingly low motivation.

The injuries were largely due to that godawful elbow drop he added to his repertoire, seems weird to say something that's repeatedly hurting him is an example of phoning it in. It was reckless and really hard to explain. If you wanna get laughably amateur-psychiatrist about it all (and I absolutely do), you could say he kept doing that goddamn move to consciously tell himself he still wanted to push himself and/or to subconsciously get himself to a physical breaking point where he'd have no choice but to do what he done.

I dunno, 60 days off seems like a pretty good break to me. To me it seems like he bit off more than he could chew, strived to be the number one guy, as soon as he became one of the number one guys in the company he caved in and couldn't take the different pressures placed on the top stars of the company. I'm a Punk fan, but he's an awfully frustrating person at times to be a fan of because from the outside looking in, he just comes across as his own worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I dunno, 60 days off seems like a pretty good break to me. To me it seems like he bit off more than he could chew, strived to be the number one guy, as soon as he became one of the number one guys in the company he caved in and couldn't take the different pressures placed on the top stars of the company. I'm a Punk fan, but he's an awfully frustrating person at times to be a fan of because from the outside looking in, he just comes across as his own worst enemy.

He was NEVER the top guy. There can't be a few "number 1" guys.

He wanted to be Cena, or at least in Cena's spot, but then realised he couldn't cope with it.

Cena is a different animal altogether compared to 99% of the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

So it is official - i got the email today:
    Roster Updates
    · Please remove CM Punk from all Superstar pages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CM Punk - I'm "never ever" going back to WWE

GFW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

AJ must have made him shave the stupid sideburns :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He'll be back for Wrestlemania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

He sounds much different in that video, or just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

The way he said he's never going back stinks of sarcasm. or maybe that's just wishful thinking ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭xpletiv

No, it does stink of sarcasm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

xpletiv wrote: »
    No, it does stink of sarcasm ;)

Does anybody still take the "I'll never wrestle again" or "I'll never wrestle for WWE again." seriously anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

He's almost in Patrick Bateman mode. I like it.

its 100% a work and he will be back in the WWE. The fact he is not saying anything speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Lads, seriously. It's fecking over. I can't imagine Punk ever come back to the WWE.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Lads, seriously. It's fecking over. I can't imagine Punk ever come back to the WWE.

Really? Given we have recently seen Warrior and Bruno in a WWE ring, Sting making an appearance in an ad, talk of Savage going into the HOF....but you can't imagine a punk, who seemed to leave amicably, ever returning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

9pz13.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Really? Given we have recently seen Warrior and Bruno in a WWE ring, Sting making an appearance in an ad, talk of Savage going into the HOF....but you can't imagine a punk, who seemed to leave amicably, ever returning?
    I don't call walking out in the middle of a contract and not fulfilling your obligations "amicable" nor do I think any part of the interview was particulary kind to the WWE. Sure, I see Punk back some day to do a Sammartino or Bruno and take his ring and go back home.

Also I'm very happy that Savage might be going into the HOF or that Sting is signed with the company in some way. But I don't think you can use that rhetoric when it comes to Punk. He is a very egotistical, resentful man and he will not forget.

Advertisement