Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think a lot could actually be dependant on how long his Wifey is in the WWE and on the road. If she is still there in a few years and always on the road perhaps he would be more likely to come back so they can be together especially if he gets to sign a nice big (perhaps short term) hypocritical contract a la Batista and co

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I think he will come back but it'll be 3 years+

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I don't call walking out in the middle of a contract and not fulfilling your obligations "amicable" nor do I think any part of the interview was particulary kind to the WWE. Sure, I see Punk back some day to do a Sammartino or Bruno and take his ring and go back home.

Also I'm very happy that Savage might be going into the HOF or that Sting is signed with the company in some way. But I don't think you can use that rhetoric when it comes to Punk. He is a very egotistical, resentful man and he will not forget.

What part wasn't kind to WWE? He pretty much laughs off the question, but doesn't seem to take any shots.

I really don't get where this image of a "resentful" man seems to be coming from or why some keep trying to use the rhetoric. By all accounts, Punk has kept very quiet about the split, dodging questions when asked, focusing on what he's doing now. Strikes me he looks happy and doesn't seem to bear any ill-feelings (or at least isn't publicizing any...).

It was an amicable split based on the fact neither side has aired dirty laundry publicly, which is stunning when you consider that WWE and Vince will usually take every opportunity to slate anyone they feel has wronged them. I compare it to the likes of Bruno, Warrior, Savage et al, because they were cases of bridges being burned and it looking like they'd never be seen again on WWE. Compared to their exits and time after their depatures, WWE and Punk are practically BFFs.

EDIT: And to cover a point touched on by BH, if the split hadn't be at least somewhat amicable, then there's no way AJ would have been so protected and so pushed once Punk went; again, WWE are spiteful at the best of times, and yet still are pushing Mrs. Punk as a key part of their show, in a way they barely even push their midcard male talents....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

So now his tattoo says he is DRUG FR-E

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Lord TSC wrote: »
    EDIT: And to cover a point touched on by BH, if the split hadn't be at least somewhat amicable, then there's no way AJ would have been so protected and so pushed once Punk went; again, WWE are spiteful at the best of times, and yet still are pushing Mrs. Punk as a key part of their show, in a way they barely even push their midcard male talents....

I don't think they had much choice in the matter. She is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else and Paige was bombing big time. They needed her back. It's often said how Punk has saved a fortune through the years so AJ didn't need to come back. She could have retired and live happily ever after.

As for being protected, from the night after the Rumble (when Punk went home crying) to the night after Wrestlemania (when She was taken off the road) she won something like 3 matches, losing something like 10. In the months leading up to the Rumble, it was the exact opposite and she was rarely pinned. It was usually Tamina. She was not protected at all once Punk left. During her time away, they realised how bad they need her. Without her, they don't have a division. It took a while, but they saw sense and decided to use her as a positive rather than punish her for others actions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CM Punk mentions nothing off the Gish album :mad:

its 100% a work and he will be back in the WWE. The fact he is not saying anything speaks volumes.

1452306_o.gif
    *sorry*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I've stayed pretty quiet on this situation since January but I though I might weigh-in on it now with the more recent events.

First point, I'm a Punk mark. Always have been and am likely to always be one. His wrestling was top notch, his promos were must see and he had the aura of a star. Not your everyday cookie cutter "superstar" but a wrestler.

Second point, I understand why he left. We've all been there right? Feeling unappreciated in work or in some organisation. You see what's wrong and want it to change.
    That's what punk wanted. He only got a tiny bit of the change he wanted. He was banging his head off a brick wall since he lost the title (and before it too.) Heyman told Jericho on his podcast that he could see it coming. That Punk was so pissed off and he had to look for the will and the passion to go the ring every day and on that day, he couldn't find it. It's terrible when you've somebody who cares about the business and has all of the good sucked out of it for him.

Third point. He's no idiot. He has his money well sorted. He had no alimony payments or habits/lifestyles to keep up. He's 35 and can retire comfortably before he was too beat up to enjoy it. He can now relax in Chicago with his beautiful wife and work on his side projects (podcast and band apparently).

Fourth point. He's NOT coming back any time soon. I would imagine it will be at least a couple of years before we see him again. He's in no hurry to rush back after leaving. Everyone saying it's a work because he hasn't said anything major. Of course he's not going to. He's hardly gonna make a "You Shoot" or meet with Feinstein. He's looking out for his and his wife's best interests. If you're waiting on him don't hold your breath you'll be a while.

I'm happy for the guy. He got out when the going was good. He's got plenty of money, a gorgeous wife and a foot in the door of entertainment to do whatever he'd like.
    Just leave the memories alone. (Insert future tribute video here)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    As for being protected, from the night after the Rumble (when Punk went home crying) to the night after Wrestlemania (when She was taken off the road) she won something like 3 matches, losing something like 10. In the months leading up to the Rumble, it was the exact opposite and she was rarely pinned. It was usually Tamina. She was not protected at all once Punk left. During her time away, they realised how bad they need her. Without her, they don't have a division. It took a while, but they saw sense and decided to use her as a positive rather than punish her for others actions.

Champions losing is standard at this stage; nearly every champion, bar Cena, suffers losses when after the titles and then losses when they win them. Sadly, that's WWE Booking 101. The fact is though she kept the title until she wanted a break, and as soon as she returned, they handed it right back to her.

Plenty of examples of acts being what WWE need or being "best for business", and WWE ignoring them to continue personal vendettas. Personally feel if WWE had been out to get her, she'd have dropped the title straight away after the Rumble and then been humiliated week in, week out, as they've done with plenty of other acts for far, far less than what Punk apparently did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I've stayed pretty quiet on this situation since January but I though I might weigh-in on it now with the more recent events.

First point, I'm a Punk mark. Always have been and am likely to always be one. His wrestling was top notch, his promos were must see and he had the aura of a star. Not your everyday cookie cutter "superstar" but a wrestler.

Second point, I understand why he left. We've all been there right? Feeling unappreciated in work or in some organisation. You see what's wrong and want it to change.
    That's what punk wanted. He only got a tiny bit of the change he wanted. He was banging his head off a brick wall since he lost the title (and before it too.) Heyman told Jericho on his podcast that he could see it coming. That Punk was so pissed off and he had to look for the will and the passion to go the ring every day and on that day, he couldn't find it. It's terrible when you've somebody who cares about the business and has all of the good sucked out of it for him.

Third point. He's no idiot. He has his money well sorted. He had no alimony payments or habits/lifestyles to keep up. He's 35 and can retire comfortably before he was too beat up to enjoy it. He can now relax in Chicago with his beautiful wife and work on his side projects (podcast and band apparently).

Fourth point. He's NOT coming back any time soon. I would imagine it will be at least a couple of years before we see him again. He's in no hurry to rush back after leaving. Everyone saying it's a work because he hasn't said anything major. Of course he's not going to. He's hardly gonna make a "You Shoot" or meet with Feinstein. He's looking out for his and his wife's best interests. If you're waiting on him don't hold your breath you'll be a while.

I'm happy for the guy. He got out when the going was good. He's got plenty of money, a gorgeous wife and a foot in the door of entertainment to do whatever he'd like.
    Just leave the memories alone. (Insert future tribute video here)

Can't argue with that. Guy has been very fortunate and deserves to enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Champions losing is standard at this stage; nearly every champion, bar Cena, suffers losses when after the titles and then losses when they win them. Sadly, that's WWE Booking 101. The fact is though she kept the title until she wanted a break, and as soon as she returned, they handed it right back to her.

Plenty of examples of acts being what WWE need or being "best for business", and WWE ignoring them to continue personal vendettas. Personally feel if WWE had been out to get her, she'd have dropped the title straight away after the Rumble and then been humiliated week in, week out, as they've done with plenty of other acts for far, far less than what Punk apparently did...

AJ was an exception. When she was champion, she almost never lost. When she did, it was nearly always a tag match with Tamina or someone else taking the fall.

Just checked the results:

From the night after the Rumble to her title loss She won 4 matches. Her wins were all title defences. She lost pretty much every other match. 4-10 overall. My 3-10 was pretty close!

Before Punk left, she had only lost 2 singles matches, one of which was a count out. The other was early October. 7-2 in singles going back almost 4 months (the early October loss). 5-7 in tags which proves my point. She pretty much only lost in tags and almost never lost in singles. Two of those tag losses were the Survivor Series matches which was only a means to promote Total Divas and had nothing to do with her.

She was an exception to the rule prior to Punk leaving. Once he left, her win-loss ratio became awful. Since her return, she is 8-0. She is the exception to the rule unless they are punishing her for Punk's action, like they obviously were.

rovert wrote: »
    1452306_o.gif
    *sorry*

I am not a CM Punk fan but i am right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I am not a CM Punk fan but i am right :)

Its not a work!!!

bth_bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So definitely doing a run in at Summerslam?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

It is a relevant point about Bret Hart, Ultumate Warrior, Bruno etc. eventually going back but the big fallouts by the most headstrong people were only resolved many years later like 10+ years. Punk back in WWE in 15 years is a different game than 15 months. Never say never in wrestling of course

The other day Dave Meltzer intimated that the issue is not resolved and seemed to hint at there being legal action taken against Punk. Meltzer mentioned it in that roundabout-careful-with-words kinda way so take it for whatever you feel it may be worth.

The other day Dave Meltzer intimated that the issue is not resolved and seemed to hint at there being legal action taken against Punk. Meltzer mentioned it in that roundabout-careful-with-words kinda way so take it for whatever you feel it may be worth.

The WWE-Rey Mysterio relationship outwardly seems to be contentious/possibly litigious too. There's precedent in terms of what Meltzer is implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

CM Punk mentions nothing off the Gish album :mad:

Jesus he spends an awful lot of time talking about himself there.

The WWE-Rey Mysterio relationship outwardly seems to be contentious/possibly litigious too. There's precedent in terms of what Meltzer is implying.

In terms of the above this is what is in the Observer this week:
    There is nothing official new on Mysterio. As noted before, he is still under contract. There is no date set for a return, and there is some question if there will be a return. Reportedly he has stopped cashing any of the checks the company has sent him, which is usually a prelude to action being taken to get out of the deal. As noted, his contract expired months ago, but the company renewed it for another year based on the idea that he owed them a year from the previous contract based on time off due to injury. That is part of the standard wrestling contract everyone signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Konnan is desperate to get his hands on Mysterio for AAA.

On their podcast, John Pollock and Court Bauer discussed a possible court case vis-a-vis Punk and they made the point that it would be long and drawn out and since you would have discovery, there would be tonnes of info released publicly a la the Warrior case.

Konnan is desperate to get his hands on Mysterio for AAA.

On thwir podcast, John Pollock and Court Bauer discussed a possible court case vis-a-vis Punk and they made the point that it could long and drawn out and since you would have discovery, there would be tonnes of info released publicly a la the Warrior case.

I heard that too equally Punk (and/or Rey Mysterio) could challenge WWE talent's independent contractor status in Court.

• Advertisement

It'd be a bit of a laugh anyway. Well, given how long it would take in the US courts it would be a very tortured and drawn-out laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭xpletiv

• Registered Users Posts: 60,561 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Right now if there was ever a chance for wrestlers to challenge the WWE's talent's independent contractor status in court it's right now with two main event talents in Punk and Mysterio.

If they wait a year or two to do anything then they could/will be seen a bitter ex talent.

Punk and Mysterio would have better chance at getting it to a court hearing than likes of Raven, Kanyon and Mike Sanders as both Punk and Mysterio are former World Champions and faces of the company.

That being said I can't see it happening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s216/wwe/news/a586257/batista-cm-punk-belongs-in-the-wwe-im-really-not-sure-why-he-left.html

Dave on Punk - "I think eventually he'll come back. I think he belongs there. I think the fans really love him and miss him.
    "I think he loves it and misses it just as much. I'm really not sure why he left.
    "He'll be back, I would think that he would be back. I think it would be kind of crazy if he didn't go back."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

If Punk comes back in a few years and walks into a main event spot would that not make him a bit of a hypocrite? Not trolling or trying to p!ss anyone off, but what's the difference between him doing it and Batista doing it?

And before anyone says he's a better wrestler, more over with the fans, yada yada yada, that's details that aren't relevant to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

orestes wrote: »
    If Punk comes back in a few years and walks into a main event spot would that not make him a bit of a hypocrite? Not trolling or trying to p!ss anyone off, but what's the difference between him doing it and Batista doing it?

And before anyone says he's a better wrestler, more over with the fans, yada yada yada, that's details that aren't relevant to the point.

Yes, he would be a huge hypocrite. Especially if he comes back with a limited dates contracts the likes he used to bash Rock, Lesanar and Batista over.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,561 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wrestlers are hypocrites!

Wrestling fans are hypocrites!

I say it now lets all stop the Hypocrisy :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It would if he was only coming back to do a few appearances and for only a few months.

If it was full time for a few years then it wouldn't be so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Well hes already a hyprocite in a way since hes moaned about part timers but im sure he didnt moan about matches with brock and rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Just watched the Nerdist News on Xbox there's and amid the 'Marvel Rumours' bit, Punk appears in a blue wig, beside an obese Thor claiming that its his new dad. He seems happy.

Advertisement