Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,561 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Source?

I'm on my phone now so I can't link. But it's on loads of copy paste sites all quoting the Observer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,165 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The work begins, it was just a slow burner.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

So it looks like Punk is taking legal action against the WWE for royalties and image rights for using his likeness on WWE 2k15.

This could get fun! :D

This is mostly what was in the Observer:

The roster for the game was put together before Punk walked. WWE had been sending him royalties but have since stopped. Punk sent them a 22 page letter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

NOT a lawsuit by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Is it just me or is it weird to see someone walk out on their job months before their contract ended, and then ask for unpaid royalties for a product that isn't even out yet?

Has he been getting paid since January?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is it just me or is it weird to see someone walk out on their job months before their contract ended, and then ask for unpaid royalties for a product that isn't even out yet?

Has he been getting paid since January?

Guessing the idea is he doesn't mind not getting paid for his missed dates which breeched contracts, but that the game would be seperate to that. Isn't it unusual for people not to get paid royalties for the games; I swear I've read many a departed wrestler say they love that even once they aren't in WWE, they still manage to get decent cheques every now and again cause of the game....

Guessing the idea is he doesn't mind not getting paid for his missed dates which breeched contracts, but that the game would be seperate to that. Isn't it unusual for people not to get paid royalties for the games; I swear I've read many a departed wrestler say they love that even once they aren't in WWE, they still manage to get decent cheques every now and again cause of the game....

It is unusual, but tbh what most people think of it would depend on whether or not he was still paid for the remainder of his contract.

On one hand, he is well entitled to royalties regardless of whether or not he is still under contract, on the other hand he walked out on his job and existing contract.

rovert wrote: »
    NOT a lawsuit by the way

Not yet anyway.

I would say its more along the lines of a cease and desist letter about using his image and name on new products that were not named in his old contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Guessing the idea is he doesn't mind not getting paid for his missed dates which breached contracts
    I've asked this a heap of times all over the place, but did he actually breach his contract by missing those dates? The whole independent contractor thing specifies a minimum number of dates but he had surely gone way over that by that stage.

Do they have tons of individual contracts for each appearance beyond that or something?

• Advertisement

I always got the impression they let him miss a bunch of time by assuming he just needed some rest after being burned out.

Then when he didn't come back they got worried.

Then when the contract ran out, and he still wasn't back, and didn't renew, they got really pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

If he did breach his contract then I would think there might possibly be a clause in it about waiving his right to all future royalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

If he did breach his contract then I would think there might possibly be a clause in it about waiving his right to all future royalties.

Heard Dave Meltzer talk on this recently. He made the point that there have been times when wrestlers have taken them to court and had contracts overruled.

One key element to this is that Brooks owns the name CM Punk as he had prior use. Afaik WWE trademarked it for the purpose of merch but the idea that a judge would rule in favour of WWE using it and not paying him royalties doesn't seem likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

afaik cm punk would be seen as his intellectual property as he created it

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Something I was wondering actually, did Punk sign over all trademarks of his name to WWE? It's just anywhere he has appeared since he is referred to as "Phil Brooks (formerly known as C.M Punk)"

Something I was wondering actually, did Punk sign over all trademarks of his name to WWE? It's just anywhere he has appeared since he is referred to as "Phil Brooks (formerly known as C.M Punk)"

He is back to C.M Punk now as far as I can see. He worked for the Nerdist while still under contract for the WWE and they used Phil Brooks. Since his contract ended any work he has done for them he has used the C.M Punk name.

It could be a way for him to go all Prince and be...

The Artist Formerly Known As....(insert Pepsi symbol here)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Isn't it unusual for people not to get paid royalties for the games; I swear I've read many a departed wrestler say they love that even once they aren't in WWE, they still manage to get decent cheques every now and again cause of the game....

video game royalties are entirely at the discretion of the company and for years wwe were rewarding people who appeared in games handsomely for little to no work. the problem with that was like their dividend payoffs eventually the money will dry up and once the thq bankruptcy happened wwe were out of pocket for $45-55 million thus their video game money is a fraction of what it was and royalties have been slashed angering wrestlers that expected a cheque of $75k or whatever it was in the door every quarter.

i did laugh at the story about wwe talent bitching and moaning about game payoffs a few months ago to ufc talent and being told they should be happy because the ufc guys get very little and sometimes nothing at all for their likeness appearing in games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Why haven't they sued him for not showing up? You'd imagine that's something they would have looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The fact is no one knows what their agreement was when he left so there's zero point in speculating.

It might come out eventually.

The fact is no one knows what their agreement was when he left so there's zero point in speculating.

It might come out eventually.

Isn't that part of the reason most people come on boards to speculate and discuss about thing like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Isn't that part of the reason most people come on boards to speculate and discuss about thing like this?

Dunno. That sounds a bit like speculation to me

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Dunno. That sounds a bit like speculation to me

Well we could speculate and discuss till we got a general consensus if speculation was part of and ok to do on Boards.

My point is it's been 8 months later now and guys are still wondering if he fulfilled his dates or why WWE didn't sue. They obviously came to some agreement that a select few know about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Don't they normally slash DVDs after the initial run fizzles out?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Don't they normally slash DVDs after the initial run fizzles out?

Yes, and they also showed this on the Network a few weeks back and is available on-demand. They even promoted it on RAW.

But no, the shop guys are doing this as part of the work / they're sticking the knife in / they're getting "one-up" on Punk.

Yes, and they also showed this on the Network a few weeks back and is available on-demand. They even promoted it on RAW.

But no, the shop guys are doing this as part of the work / they're sticking the knife in / they're getting "one-up" on Punk.

WWE is having a fire sale on all CM Punk merchandise.

WWE is having a fire sale on all CM Punk merchandise.

As they should. He's been gone for over 8 months. Almost forgotten about by the casual WWE fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

12524_730563490330385_7593041320182685561_n.jpg?oh=3c52d6b2675b1d8f052bb6bb2387c4f8&oe=5485DE25&__gda__=1419157848_6d9d5f9bc3478efc25f1e812a87311b5

• Advertisement

It is Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame season. Rich Kraetsch wrote an excellent cynical article about CM Punk's candidacy. This is Punk's first year on the ballot:
    http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/09/11/is-cm-punk-a-hall-of-famer/

What he looks over is:
    The criteria for the Hall of Fame is a combination of drawing power, being a great in-ring performer or excelling in one’s field in pro wrestling, as well as having historical significance in a positive manner. A candidate should either have something to offer in all three categories, or be someone so outstanding in one or two of those categories that they deserve inclusion.

Advertisement