Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

In fairness, the WWE couldn't have known it was his wedding day, no one knew that did they?

I thought he said he had an email or text from HHH if he was free to talk and he sent a voicemail saying he was getting married and going pn his honeymoon and then right after that he would call HHH.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭CSF

RoadDogg came across well. Fascinating interview from Punk that I reckon runs a balance between fact and exaggeration.

Realistically id still think the main reason for him leaving is the Wrestlemania main event thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I thought he said he had an email or text from HHH if he was free to talk and he sent a voicemail saying he was getting married and going pn his honeymoon and then right after that he would call HHH.

Sorry guys, I did actually listen to the whole thing and forgot about this detail. I am inclined to agree with CM Punk on this thing, but, what should they have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

I'm not Punks biggest fan but those areas about health need to be looked into. Those are very serious points raised by Punk.

Definitely. I'd imagine that the WWE doctor is under unnatural pressure from management though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

My thoughts on it.

2 main points

* Health
    * Not main eventing wrestlmania

Perhaps the call to Punk from HHH was a call to tell Punk your gone?.

I did find his rumble thing i about confusing. He had a concussion and went on. Then during the match he tells the doctor he has a concussion, he continues. They send kane to get him out early but he doesn't want to leave. Anyway that's none story as the health reasons and being overworked and other points had made the decision to leave anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sorry guys, I did actually listen to the whole thing and forgot about this detail. I am inclined to agree with CM Punk on this thing, but, what should they have done?

Waited till after his Honeymoon and give him the dignity of a face to face meeting, explaining their stance. Given all the money he would have made them, given how big a player he was on TV for them, they could have chosen not to fire him via a letter on what should be the happiest day of his life....

I am sure what really happened is probably somewhere in the middle of what was reported and what Punk said in the thing yesterday. At the time weren't there all sorts of reports coming out saying that Triple H and Stephanie were raging with him, but Vince remained hopeful that some sort of resolution would be reached? Maybe I am remembering that incorrectly, but that is the idea that I had in my head all along. Anyway, if Triple H was contacting him, I would think that the tone of the conversation may have been slightly different to it Vince was calling him. I'd say the call was a "bye now."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

In fairness, the WWE couldn't have known it was his wedding day, no one knew that did they?

I agree crappy thing to happen but no one knew so how was WWE supposed to

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

He was marrying AJ, WWEs top diva. Of course they knew.

If he was marrying some random you might have a point.
    CSF wrote: »

Realistically id still think the main reason for him leaving is the Wrestlemania main event thing.

The fact he kept going back to this would suggest so. I got the impression he felt like he was spinning his wheels and wasting time.

Read something earlier made me giggle - yesterdays podcast was sponsored by WWE 2K15 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Aye forgot that Mercury got a bit of an outing as a grass. Especially considering Punk bought his house and paid his bills to Irish Water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Aye forgot that Mercury got a bit of an outing as a grass. Especially considering Punk bought his house and paid his bills to Irish Water.

Huh??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Who'd he grass on previously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nah when Punk was going to FCW he only told Mercury and yet Vince found out somehow some way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Huh??
    Punk bought out his gaff when it was being repossessed.

Can't to hear the Vince's response in the interview on Monday when Austin goes off on one about WCW firing him via Fedex while he was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭colmufc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Waited till after his Honeymoon and give him the dignity of a face to face meeting, explaining their stance. Given all the money he would have made them, given how big a player he was on TV for them, they could have chosen not to fire him via a letter on what should be the happiest day of his life....

I get the feeling that getting that letter only made the day better for him in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Feed me Seymour

According to the latest podcast charts that interview is doing well around the world. (see itunes charts.net, cant post link cos i'm still a 'new user')

Surely, Austin has to bring it up with Vince when they have their own podcast monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

according to reports punk got married on june 13th

wwe moved punk to their alumni section on july 15th (they usually do this immediately upon letting someone go)...punk comments on twitter that day
    Nope, thank YOU.Thanks for all the help and support through the years. Health and happiness above all.Don't ever take any **** from anybody.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    according to reports punk got married on june 13th

wwe moved punk to their alumni section on july 15th (they usually do this immediately upon letting someone go)...punk comments on twitter that day
    I'm gonna stop short of accusing CM Punk of making up details myself, because there isn't sufficient basis to do so.

He definitely had **** things happen to him by the hand of the WWE, but I think he has made a lot more of them because it softens the blow rather than a straight admission that he had realised (or assumed, based on your personal opinion of his future) his chance at what he valued most had passed him by.

It's alot easier to admit it but act like it was a side reason.

The timing of it all is too coincidental to be anything else IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm gonna stop short of accusing CM Punk of making up details myself, because there isn't sufficient basis to do so.

He definitely had **** things happen to him by the hand of the WWE, but I think he has made a lot more of them because it softens the blow rather than a straight admission that he had realised (or assumed, based on your personal opinion of his future) his chance at what he valued most had passed him by.

It's alot easier to admit it but act like it was a side reason.

The timing of it all is too coincidental to be anything else IMO.

He had a Staph infection that should have killed him and that was lazily mis-diagnosed by the WWE's doctors. That's not simply a **** thing - it's very serious. Maybe it was stupid of CM Punk not to go and get a second opinion right away, but maybe also Punk was of the naive opinion that the doctors at WWE were competent and had his interests at heart, rather than simply being there to facilitate the WWE machine. Punk's shot at the main event didn't just pass him by, but he was doing all he could to convince the WWE to put him in it and they just wouldn't. They didn't see him in that spot for whatever reason that only makes sense to them. It was mounting layers of disrespect that get to a point where he couldn't lie down and take it any more.

The most disturbing revelation of Punk's testimony is that the WWE still appears not to be an organisation that truly cares about the well-being, or indeed the very lives, of their performers so much as they care about damage control.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    He had a Staph infection that should have killed him and that was lazily mis-diagnosed by the WWE's doctors. That's not simply a **** thing - it's very serious. Maybe it was stupid of CM Punk not to go and get a second opinion right away, but maybe also Punk was of the naive opinion that the doctors at WWE were competent and had his interests at heart, rather than simply being there to facilitate the WWE machine. Punk's shot at the main event didn't just pass him by, but he was doing all he could to convince the WWE to put him in it and they just wouldn't. They didn't see him in that spot for whatever reason that only makes sense to them. It was mounting layers of disrespect that get to a point where he couldn't lie down and take it any more.

The most disturbing revelation of Punk's testimony is that the WWE still appears not to be an organisation that truly cares about the well-being, or indeed the very lives, of their performers so much as they care about damage control.
    Your post reads entirely like it was posted from CM Punk's point of view.

Realistically we've no genuine idea of the extent of any infection and any measures that WWE did take or were asked to take other than Punk's take on it probably with a bit of exaggeration along the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Who'd he grass on previously?

Mentioned his reputation on here loads of times.

Also mank:
    https://twitter.com/DeathToAllMarks/status/538395084635791360

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

Your post reads entirely like it was posted from CM Punk's point of view.

Realistically we've no genuine idea of the extent of any infection and any measures that WWE did take or were asked to take other than Punk's take on it probably with a bit of exaggeration along the way.

I was speaking against the idea that Punk's big reason for quitting there and then was because he was once again being passed over for the main event and that while that was a reason, as Punk admits, there was a long road that took him to that point, according to his story. Whether Punk's story is a gross exaggeration, we can never really know because we have what he says and what WWE and some of it's employees say. On the other hand, WWE has more vested interest in making itself look good, as they're very careful not to p*ss off sponsers etc., and keeping any potential controversy off their backs and employees who go to bat will have a vested interest in keeping their job. Punk, on the other hand, has probably garnered as much hate as love for what he did and now for the story he's told. He's not looking to turn his story into a book or even tell it for pay on Colt's podcast. He's out of wrestling and doing well in other ventures so it's not like what he did is actively hurting him as his life goes on, apart from twitter-hate and the odd disgruntled fan giving him lip. So I would say that at this point in time, Punk has less reason to twist the truth to his benefit.

briany wrote: »
    I was speaking against the idea that Punk's big reason for quitting there and then was because he was once again being passed over for the main event and that while that was a reason, as Punk admits, there was a long road that took him to that point, according to his story. Whether Punk's story is a gross exaggeration, we can never really know because we have what he says and what WWE and some of it's employees say. On the other hand, WWE has more vested interest in making itself look good, as they're very careful not to p*ss off sponsers etc., and keeping any potential controversy off their backs and employees who go to bat will have a vested interest in keeping their job. Punk, on the other hand, has probably garnered as much hate as love for what he did and now for the story he's told. He's not looking to turn his story into a book or even tell it for pay on Colt's podcast. He's out of wrestling and doing well in other ventures so it's not like what he did is actively hurting him as his life goes on, apart from twitter-hate and the odd disgruntled fan giving him lip. So I would say that at this point in time, Punk has less reason to twist the truth to his benefit.
    He is a man with an ego that he wants to protect. He has just as much reason to twist the truth. I'm not saying I know which parts of what are completely true, which parts are exaggerated, and which parts perhaps may be fabricated. I'm just saying not to believe everything you hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

If the details of what Punk said about the doctor not diagnosing him or ignoring his infection were untrue you'd expect that the doctor and/or WWE would sue. The US being a decidedly litigious country and all. The man has a professional reputation that I'm sure he wants to uphold.

Pentecost wrote: »
    If the details of what Punk said about the doctor not diagnosing him or ignoring his infection were untrue you'd expect that the doctor and/or WWE would sue. The US being a decidedly litigious country and all. The man has a professional reputation that I'm sure he wants to uphold.
    Wouldn't you imagine the same about CM Punk with a doctor and gross mispractice that could have led to his death?

Wouldn't you imagine the same about CM Punk with a doctor and gross mispractice that could have led to his death?

It seems CM Punk's right to do this was signed away in the settlement agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

RYpknqg.gif

The podcast with Colt is all over the place. Washington Post has picked up the story on their website blog.

I'd be curious to see if this has increased interest in the network, if people are going back and watching these matches where he gets injured, craps himself etc.

WWE released this statement to Yahoo:
    “WWE takes the health and wellness of its talent very seriously and has a comprehensive Talent Wellness Program that is led by one of the most well-respected physicians in the country, Dr. Joseph Maroon.”

• Advertisement

LOL

B3jUI_wCAAA4ahj.jpg

Advertisement