Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

I listened to the entire podcast with cobana last night, fasinating stuff.Gives great insight into the running of the company.
    Just curious though, how much of a gap is there usually pay wise between main event and rest of the card for ppv's.Also any salary figures around the place as to what Punk and other wrestlers made yearly along with ppv cheques?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

More credence to what Punk said about Ryback:
    tumblr_mv1v20lBEV1s81l8fo9_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭CSF

rovert wrote: »
    More credence to what Punk said about Ryback:
    tumblr_mv1v20lBEV1s81l8fo9_1280.jpg
    I don't see anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Big E did.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭CSF

rovert wrote: »
    Big E did.
    Ah I dunno about that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm guessing that Vince didn't say much last night given the lack of discussion today...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm guessing that Vince didn't say much last night given the lack of discussion today...

The general gist is:
    -They didn't mean to sack him on his wedding day.
    -He's sorry for how bad things were between the two
    -He hasn't actually listened but knows its laced with expletives
    -He thinks Punk will regret some of what he's said
    -He says he's a loner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

In addition to what HH posted above, Vince said he'd be open to doing business with Punk again and he seemed a bit sorry about how things went down. Even if the apology for the firing on his wedding day was rubbish and even if it's absurd to suggest that on one hand the reason things in WWE with the wrestlers are the way they is because noone wants the brass ring when Punk was desperate for it and he was probably strung along (with the Mania main event/"I'll owe you" stuff).

The MRSA and concussion wasn't mentioned at all by Austin.

It also seemed a bit weird to suggest there were communication issues and then go on about talking to Austin at 2am. Punk has that both he and Vince had trouble sleeping and would text/talk at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

To be expected, but it was sad to see Austin not poking, prodding or contesting any of Vince's corporate answers, especially when it's a flat-out lie and if it's got something to do with current wrestlers. The Punk stuff must've been done in 20 seconds flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Lord TSC wrote: »

The video posted in the network thread is done, here is another one.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bktfr_wwe-stone-cold-podcast-2014-12-01-with-vince-mcmahon-720p-hd_tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I was impressed with the podcast last night. Vince talked more about things that I ever expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Wait I gathered from Vince regarding Punk is that he's seen it all before, with Austin, with Hogan, with Bret etc. and that when everything calms down the two warring parties always find a way to do business again together. I reckon Vince fully believes that somewhere down the road WWE and Punk will work together again. And he's probably right. The only difference with Punk is that he's around at a time when everyone's going on podcasts spilling the beans and slinging mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Everyone comes back. Bruno Sammartino. Hulk Hogan. Ultimate Warrior. Bret Hart. Steve Austin. I doubt Vince is beside himself with worry over the whole situation. He has no choice but to play the whole thing down. I think he addressed it as directly as he could have on the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Monokne

I thought they addressed about as much as they could have.

Anyone who hoped or thought Steve Austin was going to go on WWE's OWN NETWORK and ask Vince about Phil's claims about concussions or working with staph thanks to a dodgy doctor is very naive. Austin is political when discussing WWE on his own show, he was never going to go on their territory and burn bridges just to satisfy a few thousand fans on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Isn't Austin teasing a follow up interview via Podcast One, on his own show? Maybe then he will probe a little deeper with Vince

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

Chris Jericho was supposed to be talking about the CM Punk matter today on his podcast but right now his podcast keeps ending at 2 mins 58 sec. That's barely enough time to even pimp the cereal grain crunchy bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Everyone comes back. Bruno Sammartino. Hulk Hogan. Ultimate Warrior. Bret Hart. Steve Austin. I doubt Vince is beside himself with worry over the whole situation. He has no choice but to play the whole thing down. I think he addressed it as directly as he could have on the podcast.

There is no need for him to worry though. He holds all the cards here as if Punk wants to come back to wrestle in any meaningful way it will be for him. And he has done the worst he can to try hurt the company. I think if there is a time when he comes back it will be fully on their terms and quite the humbling experience for him.

Also trying to claim Big E has seen anything in that pic is clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Wait I gathered from Vince regarding Punk is that he's seen it all before, with Austin, with Hogan, with Bret etc. and that when everything calms down the two warring parties always find a way to do business again together. I reckon Vince fully believes that somewhere down the road WWE and Punk will work together again. And he's probably right. The only difference with Punk is that he's around at a time when everyone's going on podcasts spilling the beans and slinging mud.

Spilled more beans than a clumsy chef

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Also made to wrestle in Bedrock, I imagine Barney Rubble is pretty "hurty"...

Doubt the treatment for staph infections back then was up to much either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

Turtyturd wrote: »
    There is no need for him to worry though. He holds all the cards here as if Punk wants to come back to wrestle in any meaningful way it will be for him. And he has done the worst he can to try hurt the company. I think if there is a time when he comes back it will be fully on their terms and quite the humbling experience for him.

That really depends on where Punk is when/if that process is ever begun. The more success Punk has outside of wrestling, the more leverage he would have in any sort of future negotiation because he wouldn't have to accept terms he felt favoured the WWE more than him.

But it's all ifs and buts because I think WWE is probably the last wrestling organisation Punk would go to if he were to come back to wrestling. People forget that the bigger names can command a reasonably hefty pay packet on the indy scene as well, and then of course there's also TNA, Japan, Mexico etc. The idea that the WWE is the only place to go to is something of an exaggeration, I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I think one thing to take into account is, how big is CM Punk in Vince's eyes. Don't get me wrong punk was a big draw for a bit and a decent wrestler but people are comparing him to some of the biggest draws in wrestling ever. Hogan, pretty much made the business. Bret, carried the business for a good time. Warrior, again same as bret. Austin, any point in going into details on what he did for the business?

But CM Punk i feel is nothing compared to these wrestlers, will Punk be majorly remembered 20 years from now? His initial return (if ever) will obviously get a lot of interest and a bit of money, but after the initial heat wears off I reckon he'd be very quickly back to upper midcards, lower main event status.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

I'd say his merch sales would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

briany wrote: »

But it's all ifs and buts because I think WWE is probably the last wrestling organisation Punk would go to if he were to come back to wrestling. People forget that the bigger names can command a reasonably hefty pay packet on the indy scene as well, and then of course there's also TNA, Japan, Mexico etc. The idea that the WWE is the only place to go to is something of an exaggeration, I feel.

The key words were 'meaningful way'. Yes he could go to those places and might get some personal fulfillment from it but would it satisfy his ego? He complained about not being top guy in WWE, he could be top guy in TNA but it's not the same level, and if people like Hogan, Angle, Bischoff couldn't bring about any positive lasting change in TNA's position I doubt he will.

Someone else mentioned his legacy and I think this is it. He will be the guy linked to every surprise comeback, or a MachoMan-esque 'will he ever go into the HOF?'.....better than being remembered as the guy who could have been the next big thing but dropped the ball I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Someone else mentioned his legacy and I think this is it. He will be the guy linked to every surprise comeback, or a MachoMan-esque 'will he ever go into the HOF?'.....better than being remembered as the guy who could have been the next big thing but dropped the ball I suppose.

I think his legacy, even if he never wrestles again, isn't a million miles from the Ultimate Warrior. He was the main man for a short time before walking away and has definitely carved out his little piece in the annals. His Pipe Bomb promo will go down as an all time major moment in wrestling history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

From after Summerslam to Survivor Series was a complete shambles in '11 in terms of where they put Punk.Money in the bank was fantastic and to a lesser extent Summerslam but that angle afterwards was a farce.That storyline culminated in a HHH vs Nash match that had absolutely nothing to do with Punk even though that whole angle was meant to revolve around him.At least he was able to make the most of his own burial by burying others every night on the mic.

His promos are the only memorable moments for me from back then because I never watched the few ppvs after Summerslam the booking was that bad.It's actually impressive how badly they mismanaged his run when he re-signed!
    The period when he was at his most marketable as the new main guy was completely driven into the ground,it only really recovered when him and Jericho started feuding.

I think he'll come back for a couple of marquee matches down the line,when a couple of younger guys get over I think he'd enjoy getting involved again,so maybe in another 10 years when the top of the card isn't filled with the same guys that are there now that have already occupied it for the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Christ, that Kevin Nash stuff.....my mind had actually blanked all that crap out and now it's all come flooding back.

What have you done, bradlente?!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Only good part of that was "omg wtf, thought he was dead."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Colt Cabana has anticipated the problem, and like the legend we already knew he was, stuck part 2 up on Youtube straight-out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkROZ-vJYTE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

10 minutes of adverts at the start - good god! I know he has to cause his sponsors are the reason the podcast can exist and all podcasts do it but my god!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

10 minutes of adverts at the start - good god! I know he has to cause his sponsors are the reason the podcast can exist and all podcasts do it but my god!

Yet he slagged off Jericho for making money off the punk issue. He said he just wanted to give his friend a safe platform to vent. But he still wants to get the check. Hypocrite.

Advertisement