Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

From punks interview;

CM Punk goes into depth of how he feels about the end of his AEW career:

-CM Punk calls it very irresponsible of the company (AEW) to leave talent stranded at the airport, referring to nobody picking him up in London for All In, leaving him to take the subway.

-CM Punk says when he arrived in London for AEW All In, there was nobody there to pick him up, but he got on the tube and thought it was an adventure and fun. But it was irresponsible of AEW to leave him stranded.

-Punk says he politely asked Jack Perry not to use real glass. But Perry had an issue because he went on to make the comment at All In.

-Punk says Jack Perry came to the back and asked Punk what he's going to do about it. Punk says he did not punch anyone. He just choked someone a little

-CM Punk said Tony Khan’s big idea was a separate show (Collision) and separate everybody

He says he said it would never work and to just release him, Tony refused.

-Punk feels AEW is trying to slander him and ruin his reputation. Says Tony Khan is not a real boss. But a nice guy.

Surprisingly seems fair and not as bitter as people would have expected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"He just choked someone a little"

lol, only a light assault.

I say this as someone who relatively likes Punk; he made his career on doing a lot worse stuff than what Perry did, and the fact he was so sensitive over such a "slight" doesn't make him look great. That's not saying Khan handled it brilliantly (though this is only one side), but Punk always just comes across as a lightweight snowflake when his side of the story is told…

(EDIT: AND this appears to contradicts Punk's previous version of events, where Perry shoved him first).

Cabana tried to sort things out backstage to avoid a bad atmosphere. Punk refused.

In the same interview, he's moaning that The Bucks wont talk to him and try and settle their beef 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

To be fair Tony seems to be more angry at Jack Perry more over the event so I imagine he had more of a part to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It was very interesting almost 2 hour long interview. He's easy to listen to, very engaging but whether or not you believe him as a reliable narrator is another thing.

I thought the NDA would make a lot of stuff off limits but it was only what went on in the locker room during Brawl Out that he couldn't really talk about. He went in-depth on his return, the reaction to him visiting WWE last year (someone in AEW called it a "betrayal" according to him), London and Jungle Boy, Collision and how he never really believed in it working, Tony Khan, the media scrum, Adam Page, Vince and plenty of other stuff.

The Jungle Boy stuff was revealing. Schiavone asked Punk to help deal with him because he was being a prick to people backstage concerning the spot he wanted to do with glass. Punk asked Tony Khan to deal with it and according to him, Khan's reaction was "What do you want me to do about it?" He painted Jungle Boy as an immature little dickhead.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, Perry doesn't come off great either.

But Punk is basically saying here "I tried to tell someone not to do something stupid, when he responded poorly, I assaulted him to show him how mad I was!".

Punk's not the hero in that situation like he's trying to portray. He's an idiot who escalated the situation massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Multi-millionaire wrestler Phil Brooks say guaranteed money has ruined pro wrestling!

Wrestling was better when wrestlers were paid by the house numbers they drew.

WOW this coming from the guy who say he fights for workers rights.

There was whole load of Walter Mitty in the interview, Interesting to listen too however a worker got to work.

Overall I think it shows what most knew that Phil Brooks the man behind he character is a small petty man who has a wrestling character who is one of the greatest wrestling characters of all time.

CM Punk said he paid for his own surgery after Brawl Out. Punk said he had no help and no professional athlete should be treated that way. He said how WWE has handled his triceps injury is "night and day" because they're professional and have structure.

I thought AEW had serious healthcare for all their wrestlers?

That screams, “only half the story”.

Tony seemed to adore Punk to the point of creating an entire second show for him….but wouldn’t pay for the surgery? Doesn’t make any sense.

• Advertisement

Funny how things change. He went to court with WWE for shíte medical care 10 years ago, now complains about AEW's medical care while back at WWE and praising their medical care.

As for paying for the surgery, he's not an EVP, so maybe he's not on that coveted health insurance that's reserved for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Tony Khan has paid for surgeries for wrestlers who weren’t even under contract to AEW and those wrestlers have all spoken out about how that saved their Financial lives it’s pretty clear Punk isn’t telling the full story on lots in that interview.

Regards,

P.

“He ruined his life ruining other people’s lives.”

• CM Punk on Vince

Some line by Punk

Same shít with all billionaires. Vince put some people through rehab, Dana White gives special bonuses to the odd fighter and Tony Khan pays for the odd surgery.

When the actual proper thing to do is look after all their employees but fúck that, that affects the bottom line too much. The occasional spot of charity will keep the goodwill among the gullible fanboys and is far cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Injury aside, I've really enjoyed Punk's WWE return so far, but I wish they entered a clause in his contract for him not to do interviews 😅 Was genuinely surprised how openly he spoke about Perry, Kahn & AEW in general…but I do worry for him whether this'll end up being another lawsuit 🙈

Also it was refreshing to hear him say those post-event media scrum things are cringey. Always thought they were odd.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah I'm not sure dredging all the nastiness at AEW back up is beneficial to anyone at this stage… apart from Helwani, of course.

Doing it Mania weekend….using his AEW drama to sell Mania is quite a choice 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Well he's injured for Mania he had to make it about himself some how

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I enjoyed the interview for what it was but you just can't buy everything Punk comes out with and cannot find him to be a sympathetic individual. I would love to hear the other side of the story interviews with Tony, Perry, Bucs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

For a man who keeps tell us all he doesn’t like drama he sure creates lots and is surrounded by it. There was never really any leaks out of AEW before he joined and there has been very few since he left. The man is a walking drama queen.

I still love the CM Punk wrestling though.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It is destined to end in tears but the Ariel H interview is fantastic. Punk would have me fooled but he genuinely seems to have matured.

He used to have a full chip shop on his shoulders but he seems to have mellowed big style.

I’m salivating at the potential of a feud with Drew (and/or Rollins) so much great stuff to work with. Hopefully Punk keeps on track and doesn’t get above himself as he does.

I believe him on the Perry stuff for the simple reason that he named names and established some kind of timeline. Schiavone, those backstage producers and a doctor. There was 4 people named who could easily claim he was lying if they wanted to.

On Tony Khan, Bucks, Omega. That's a grey area of he said/they said because no-one can talk about it.

LOL Meltzer saying Punk spoke to him alot when he joined AEW,

To be fair Punk is right AEW cares more about 5 star ratings than making money.

They give away unbelievable dream matches on tv for free where they should be building towards them for a future PPV match.

I genuinely do think Tony Khan is one of the nice guys in wrestling but a wrestling promoter he ain’t. He’s the ultimate dream match booker. It’s like he’s playing a wrestling simulator game with the cheat mode set at unlimited money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Heard from a few that Perry can be a bit of a prick and experienced it first hand once myself so I can see it being accurate. People tend to forget Perry grew up in a millionaire family himself and probably used to getting his way all the time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yeah everything Punk stated regarding the build up to both Perry incidents I believe and checks out with other info on what was reported but then he downplays the seriousness of the actual assault flippantly taking no responsibility for what was under his own control, that's why even as a Punk fan I can't fully trust everything he articulates particularly when it comes to talking about his own overreactions and questionable decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

An all time great of the pro-wrestling business. There'll never be another CM Punk. Hopefully he gets healthy and stays on a good run as the man is just pure fire & money. He has so many people on strings today it's actually comical.

• Advertisement

Bully Ray on Jungle Boy / Jack Perry

“This is not a Punk problem. This is a Jack Perry problem. This is a snot-nosed kid problem. This is a punk-ass kid problem. And I believe every single last word that Punk is saying about Jack Perry. Because I had my own incident with Jack Perry in England a year ago. And there wasn't really an incident, because if there was an incident, Jack Perry wouldn't be around anymore. Jack Perry came off to me as a very disrespectful young wrestler."

Advertisement