Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What degrees are likely to leave someone with a very high paid job?

Options
  • 29-01-2014 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I've decided I'd like to go to college, however, I know that many college courses either have so many applicants that there's now much more supply of the skills in that area than demand for the skills, therefore, many people are unemployed and many who are employed are on low wages. I'm not quite sure what course I want to aim for, I consider myself a genius(when I want to be, anyway), so, entry qualifications should not be an issue, as if I work towards something I always achieve it. Ideally, I'd like a job where I'd be earning in excess of 100,000 grand a year, of course, I know I'd have to work much lower paid jobs for years beforehand even with a degree. And put in a lot of work. But are there any degrees which would be suited for what I want? Or are we in a day and age where no matter what job you have, you'd be lucky to make 50k?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If you are good at maths then check out actuary.

However I think you are looking at it the wrong way. You spend way too much of your life at work for money to be the sole/or even main reward from work. Check out Maslows needs for starters.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I'd like a job where I'd be earning in excess of 100,000 grand a year

Wouldn't we all?

I'm just finishing up 4 years at college, and as already said, you're looking at this all wrong.

3 or 4, or even 7 years of your life is a huge committment to make to education. Over the last 4 years I've seen loads of students, bright, intelligent people, who've dropped out of course, because it wasn't the right course for them!

I know job prospects at the end of your degree is important, but honestly, if you don't pick the course that genuinely interests you, you probably won't make it, or at least, you'll drag yourself through it but hate doing it - not good.

If you're serious about college - decide what interests you, and choose a course that matches those interests - it'll make the years far more enjoyable.

To quote - "But choose wisely, for while the true Grail will bring you life, the false Grail will take it from you." :cool:

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

this is the way to go to make 100k a year.

http://www.norwaypost.no/index.php/news/latest-news/27195

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There is little point in doing a degree that does not lead to proficiency in a skill that people will pay for. In this regard health care can be rewarding at the higher levels but only after a long period of training and education at a very intense level. If you like your sleep and comforts I would avoid it but you will never be out of work.

It seems simplistic but money and finance related jobs seem well paid, only if for the fact that people who are interested in finance and money will look after their own interests first and will make sure that they are paid well for each job or task that they do. Also it is not considered rude to mention pay, conditions and rewards frequently and assertively as can be the case in some other jobs.

As a temporary measure doing shift work or jobs requiring a lot of overtime and irregular hours can be very rewarding but family and health can suffer in the long term.

Jobs requiring one to get dirty and in hard to reach areas etc tend to pay more than sit-down office jobs, steeplejacks and oil riggers come to mind as do miners and construction plant repair people.

The physically easier and more comfortable a job the less pay it will attract as more people will be interested in doing it and this makes more competition and drives down wages. Glamorous jobs such as models and public relations reps etc can be notoriously badly paid and long hours and little or no routine as everyone seems to want to do this type of work and the bosses know it.

Try and get a unique set of skills which can make it hard for bosses to replace you with cheaper labour or compare you with harder working and cheaper labour. People who have skills unique to this country, such as Irish language teachers, legal workers etc do not suffer as much from outside competition as those with more internationally available skillsets. If at all possible avoid areas with a large non-national workforce as these have driven down pay in many sectors and this will take decades to recover if at all.

It would appear from recent news that the spotlight is now on public service pay and conditions and things such as working hours, holidays, pensions etc, these can only go down relative to the private sector as public outcry and protest force these sectors into line with the badly paid private sector. The trick is to find a sector that is not in the public eye, that is not conspicously overpaid but has enough to be going on with. It may be a lot less hassle to earn 85k pa as a second in command of something than breach through the 100k pa level and attract more envy and adverse attention and responsibility. The extra effort required to get the extra 15k may be more trouble than its worth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement