Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

water leak from toilet handle

• 29-01-2014 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭

I had the siphon replaced within my toilet about 6 weeks ago and over the last 2 weeks I noticed it may have been happening longer that water is leaking from the handle due to the water level within the tank rising to that level and obviously overflowing out. I have one of those round ball floats. I was wondering how do I adjust it so the water only goes to the normal level which I was told is an inch below the overflow pipe. I tried to search for an answer on the internet but any answer i finds mentions that I should try and physically bend the rod that the ball is attached to down. Would this not break it? Or could this be a problem that is only fixed by replacing a part? Another answer I found was to turn a screw attached to the valve anti clockwise but I cant see a screw that it refers to? Can anyone offer any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

A picure would help us direct you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

if its a ball you hold the metal near the handle,and push down on the metal near the ball,dont pushdown o the ball it might break

some you ajust a screw,look on youtube for videos

the overflow should go down the toilet not out the handle.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=adjust%20toilet%20flow&sm=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

The screw you refer to is usually a plastic one located on the lever mechanism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

jeepers101 wrote: »
    The screw you refer to is usually a plastic one located on the lever mechanism.

Unfortunately I cant post a picture. Is the screw at the end of the plastic rod that is attached to the Ball float?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Just bend the bar on the ballcock

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

billyhead wrote: »
    Unfortunately I cant post a picture. Is the screw at the end of the plastic rod that is attached to the Ball float?

Is it a plastic or metal rod that the ball float is attached to?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Is it a plastic or metal rod that the ball float is attached to?

plastic

plastic

If its like this then I have highlighted the screw to turn.

291307.jpg

Wearb wrote: »
    If its like this then I have highlighted the screw to turn.

291307.jpg

cheers. That's exactly what the rod looks like. Also I presume its the screw on the far left of where you have it circled and is it anticlockwise to turn it in order to reduce the water level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

is it anticlockwise to turn it in order to reduce the water level

Its very obvious when you're looking at it. The screw is just there to set the level of the ball at which the water will stop filling.

• Advertisement

cheers. That's exactly what the rod looks like. Also I presume its the screw on the far left of where you have it circled and is it anticlockwise to turn it in order to reduce the water level

Not "on the far left" of where I have circled. Exactly where I have circled.

Ok. Thanks everyone for their helpful advice and comments. Just one more question do I turn the screw towards me to lower the water level (float) or the opposite way to increase the level of water. As mentioned I need to decrease the level as it is causing the leaks

Ok. Thanks everyone for their helpful advice and comments. Just one more question do I turn the screw towards me to lower the water level (float) or the opposite way to increase the level of water. As mentioned I need to decrease the level as it is causing the leaks

291336.jpg

Loosen the lock nut Blue. Then with a flat screwdriver, screw the Green arrowed area so that while you are turning it, the plastic screw moves to the left away from the ball float. I forget which way it needs to be turned and that is why I explain it that way.
    It will be easier to turn that plastic screw if you flush the toilet immediately before you start turning it.
    When finished, re-tighten the lock nut.

Cheers:D

Advertisement