Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Settle

Options
  • 29-01-2014 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm aiming this question at Irish expats who've been abroad for a while in a country that they don't want to stay in forever, for example, in my own case, Dubai.

Ultimately, I will want to leave Dubai. But after living abroad and getting accustomed to a higher standard of living and sunny climes, the thought of moving back to Ireland is unappealing.

So, to other expats who may be in a similar situation, what factors influence you in deciding where you ultimately want to settle?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

austalia or new Zealand it hot,it depnds ere you can get a work visa

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

For me the main issue is how my son will be raised. I don't want him knacker drinking in a field before a teenage disco which is sadly all too common in Ireland (been there, done that!). I find our continental cousins have a healthier attitude to alcohol and by extent drugs than we do and the kids here seem more mature at a younger age than I and my friends were in Ireland. My son is being raised bilingually as his mother is German. She would move to Ireland (Germans love Ireland more often than not) but I try to explain to her that while on the surface things look fine, it's different growing up there. Here in Berlin we can avail of state funded bilingual schools (free of charge!) but a bilingual education in Ireland or the UK etc. would cost a small fortune at some private school.

So given all these things we are settling down in Berlin for the long haul and preparing to build a nice house in Brandenburg next year. That's another reason I prefer it here: the houses are just so much better and more energy efficient. Germany is just years ahead of other places in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

i was thinking of moving to dubai!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

I've been moving around in Europe for pretty much the last 10 years. Now with kids in primary school, I feel the need to give them stability, and hope to settle down for the long haul by the time the first starts secondary school (about 5 years). Similar to other posters, I am struggling to decide where to live. While Ireland is my first choice, like murphaph I do worry about some of the aspects of growing up in Ireland and I don't see the UK as any better. I've lived quite happily in Holland and think the kids are in general well-adjusted, but not sure I could stay forever.
    I think it is important that at least one of the parents is a native of the country you settle in. Otherwise it can be difficult to ever feel like the family "belongs".
    I guess I have a few years to figure it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

A sense of rootedness or nationality isn't required IMO. I've never really had it, even though I was born in Ireland and lived there for 29 years.

My wife is Filipino, I'm Irish, and our child will be born in Dubai and have Irish and Filipino citizenship.

I think there's no problem with being raised internationally. In theory, we could send our child to his or her grandparents for a month or two every summer for holidays, providing a bit of immersion in that way.

The main things for me regarding where to live would be:
    • Climate
    • Low Tax
    • Cleanliness
    • Range of things to do
    • Social attitudes should be progressive.

Dubai ticks all of those boxes bar the last one. That said, it is a fairly liberal place (which surprises a lot of people when they actually stay here for a few days). It's potentially a great place for kids - it's got deserts, a very eclectic mix of people, huge water parks and amusement rides, and it's safe. But at the same time, it's an unequal society and I think it would be difficult to inculcate a sense of the value of money and doing things for yourself there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

I live and work in Dubai, work wise excellent. Can't and wouldn't settle here, personally i need green! We live in an apt here, as we are here to save, get experience and see some of the world, its given us opportunities not available at home and surprisingly for me as a woman opportunities i would struggle to get elsewhere. The down side is lack of social security, I don't pay for it so cant expect it. Will move home in a few years, while the idea of raising a well rounded international kid sounds good Dubai is not the place to do it. I loved growing up in the countryside and growing up with my cousins and would want the same things for my kids.

What part of Dubai do you live in?

Biz bay

We're in Silicon Oasis. Was a bit of wilderness when I moved here first, but it's got a lot going for it now. Also only 5 mins from Mirdif and 15 from Dubai Mall. Rents are a climbing, though it's still more affordable than many other places. For a 2-bedroom apartment, the rate was 45k AED in 2012 and 2013, but renewing in 2014 will cost 60k AED. My company has a 50% discount, so I only pay 30k. Very lucky.

I was also raised and the country but I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It depends on where you were I suppose. I was in the middle of nowhere in deepest, darkest Tipp.

That is seriously cheap rent! Been out there its nice, our LL has missed the window to jack ours up so hopefully can stay where we are, it used to be that cheap in biz bay before the roads lol! I grew up by the sea in Cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement