Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New flood warning for this weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

My MetroGroup app forecasts inches of rain:
    .169in Thurs
    .664in Fri (which in fairness is pretty wet)
    .137in Sat

Spike on Friday but otherwise doesn't look too bad. But there are lots of places still pretty saturated and they've probably learned to be cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

newkie wrote: »
    .169in Thurs
    .137in Sat

Spike on Friday but otherwise doesn't look too bad. But there are lots of places still pretty saturated and they've probably learned to be cautious.

strong winds and a high tide this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

.169in Thurs
    .137in Sat

It's not the rain that's the problem. It's the high tide, low atmospheric pressure and strong onshore winds that will cause the flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

As ronnie said rain not the problem, this weekend sees the highest tides of the year and with low pressure and high winds expect a lot of coastal flooding again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Storm 10 wrote: »
    As ronnie said rain not the problem, this weekend sees the highest tides of the year and with low pressure and high winds expect a lot of coastal flooding again
    I thought the highest tides occurred at the equinox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

snubbleste wrote: »
    I thought the highest tides occurred at the equinox?

Well these are predicted to be some of the highest tides of the year as this storm exactly coincides with the astronomical high tide. Even if they aren't the highest of the year some forecasters are predicting this weekend could prove as bad or worse than the last storm that caused so much damage in terms of flooding.

It's the weekend and sometimes people leave their car in Salthill and head off on the train etc for the weekend. This time there is fair warning so it's worth spreading the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mental note, tie down the bin lids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Winds are predicted to be westerly which will add to the sea-surge, therefore causing worse flooding. Gale Force 11 winds also predicted...basically hurricane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

6am Saturday Feb 1 will be very very wild down at the prom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

jasus, highest tide + intense low just northwest of the coast, it sure don't look good. is there a direct flood warning system in the city for areas / dwellings / businesses likely to be affected, apart from the Council's tweets?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

Checking other weather forums this storm appears to be worse than the last one as it arrives Friday night before high tide and will last all day Saturday, with very low pressure , spring tide and storm force winds it will cause a lot of flooding. Dont be surprised if its not upgraded to a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This is the predicted storm sitting close to us 9am saturday morning as modeled on the live wind map : http://earth.nullschool.net/#2014/02/01/0900Z/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=3.74,42.10,512

This is the weather now on it : http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=3.74,42.10,512

If you click "earth" you can change the days etc and watch predicted weather for up to 4 or 5 days.
    It's actually pretty cool when it's stormy out to take a look. It's worth a bookmark.

Here she comes, time to start taking precautions like sandbagging premises that are likely to be affected by this storm it could be vey bad given the tide height.

From Met Eireann

On Friday night, heavy showers of rain, hail and sleet will continue and will fall as snow in places. It will become increasingly windy overnight. Lowest temperatures of -2 to +2 degrees.

Saturday will be very windy or stormy with widespread heavy showers of rain, hail and sleet. Westerly winds will be strong to gale force with severe gusts of between 90 and 130 km/hr. The winds will be strongest in coastal counties of the southwest, west and north. The strong winds along with very high waves and high tides may cause coastal flooding. Highest temperatures of 5 to 7 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

At least the council have electronic signs on the prom warning of flooding. No excuses this time for any one who parks in the car parks this weekend.

Met Eireann have just upgraded the storm to orange, watch it go to Red before it hits.

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal

An Atlantic storm depression will track to the northwet of the country later Friday night and Saturday.
    Southwest winds gusting 100 to 130 km/h, strongest across the Atlantic counties.
    Frequent heavy showers, some thundery with sleet and snow for a time mainly on higher ground.

High coastal flood risk too due to the combination of very high spring tides, extremely high waves (greater than 10 m), low pressure and onshore winds - southwest, west and northwest margins most at threat.
    Issued:
    Thursday 30 January 2014 10:00

Valid:
    Saturday 01 February 2014 00:01 to Sunday 02 February 2014 01:00

10m waves!??? Holy crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Dammit and I only just fixed my fence.

Make sure you bring a camera to the diving tower in Blackrock during height of the storm. There's always someone diving off it no matter how bad the weather. They can use your video at the inquest.

But seriously this has the potential to undue all the repairs put in place since the last one. Plus the fact that there has to be weakening of some of the beach defences at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Sandbags won't stop water seeping through. They are porous. They will slow the flow down but that is all. There are plenty of different brands/types of flood barriers that will stop water ingress though...for businesses and premises I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

At least the council have electronic signs on the prom warning of flooding. No excuses this time for any one who parks in the car parks this weekend.

Makes little difference. There will still be plenty of idiots who will ignore the signs and warnings, park in one of the flood areas and then act all surprised :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

zarquon wrote: »
    Makes little difference. There will still be plenty of idiots who will ignore the signs and warnings, park in one of the flood areas and then act all surprised :mad:

And they are the ones that mighty Neptune will smite with his trident of doom. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This is shaping up to be another very serious weather event guys and gals. If I were living by the sea I'd be buying some sandbags tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

zarquon wrote: »

7 cars parked down by that car park in Salthill this morning :rolleyes:. Wind seems to have eased off now. Must be the calm before the storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

7 cars parked down by that car park in Salthill this morning :rolleyes:.

High tide isn't until 5:30pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

High tide isn't until 5:30pm!

They're getting in early in case there's a rush from all the other people who want insurance write-offs.

Looks rather nice out.

Now I feel like a tool for not riding my bike today.

Looks rather nice out.

Now I feel like a tool for not riding my bike today.

The storm is not here yet, it was never due until after midnight tonight, two big Dutch trawlers in the bay taking shelter according to Galway Harbour

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yeay, snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Godammit snow, where were you at Christmas :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

This will be very serious for people who are in flood risk areas in Galway, particularly Salthill and around the docks/Spanish Arch. Met Eireann seem to for some reason be downplaying the seriousness of this weather event because it isn't extreme winds.

I expect there to be much damage by this time tomorrow around the town. :(
    I'm going to help sandbag a friends house now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

My God the snow was mental driving around Knockers (damn you Biko) and Barna.

Keep safe out there lads and lassies.

Advertisement