Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Road Signage Letterkenny

Options
  • 29-01-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Seen some new signage in Letterkenny yesterday and have little idea of what they could refer to.

A wavy symbol on a blue background. Approaching the DC from the Lifford side the same symbol followed by (n) pointing towards Derry, and (s) poiting towards Letterkenny. The same (s) then directing you down towards the town after coming off the DC.

At a guess anything to do with the Swilly River?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's for the Wild Atlantic Way. Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

CJC999 wrote: »
    It's for the Wild Atlantic Way. Google it.

Have heard of the route before, but would have expected the Brown Tourist/Scenic Signage saying Wild Atlantic Way, rather than the Blue and White symbol I seen. Looked up the route, and have never seen them before (the symbol) on the other listed roads in the NW that I would use often.

Have seen no marketing for this at all, other than the signs I seen yesterday. I would assume the tourism board are considering one especially if there is un expained signs going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Highland reporting toay that said signs cost €400,000 - this seems to be the cost for Donegal only (route runs from Kinsale to Inishowen).

Hopefully they deliver!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There's a sign as soon as you cross the border at Bridgend that has the symbol and 'Wild Atlantic Way' below it. When you get to the roundabout there's one pointing towards Buncrana with an (N) on it and one pointing towards Letterkenny with a (S) on it.

It's going to be launched in March apparently - http://www.failteireland.ie/wildatlanticway

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Here's a map - WAW_NationalMap_5.jpg

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

€400k on road signs. The crazy times are back.

It's great to see the route promoted. You'd really wonder why it's taken so long - it's been there all along to the best of my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

A ****ing wavy line on a sign post. What twat in Doheny and Nesbitts dreamt that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Banjoxed wrote: »
    A ****ing wavy line on a sign post. What twat in Doheny and Nesbitts dreamt that up?

It's the biggest tourist campaign ever promoted in Ireland.

Tourists = money

Whatever they cost, it's a small price to pay

It makes sense to me.

Wild Atlantic Way
    WAW
    \/\/ /\ \/\/
    \/\/\/\/
    WildAtlanticWay200.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kevwoody wrote: »
    It's the biggest tourist campaign ever promoted in Ireland.

Tourists = money

I drove to Lettlerkenny via Derry last night and thought it was directions to the local swimming pool :D

Stheno wrote: »
    I drove to Lettlerkenny via Derry last night and thought it was directions to the local swimming pool :D

You must've been heading to the (S) pool rather than the (N) pool then :D

I particularly enjoy the sign at Muff coming from the Burnfoot direction, showing Wavy Line (S) going North and Wavy Line (N) going South.

The Wild Atlantic Way was 'launched' today

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0227/506879-tourism/

Hopefully it generates interest.
    Kevwoody wrote:

Ah here, steady on....

Dramatic and impressive footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNjsFzyKJOI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Even more dramatic narration....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Dramatic and impressive footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNjsFzyKJOI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Even more dramatic narration....

A bit OTT alright and it makes the 'natives' sound like we are objects of curiosity but the footage is impressive and lots of Donegal scenes there.
    A strategy to get foreign visitors out of Dublin was badly needed and this idea has a lot of potential. There is no reason why it shouldn't be at the top of 'must see' lists.

The Wild Atlantic Way was 'launched' today

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0227/506879-tourism/

Hopefully it generates interest.

Ah here, steady on....

This needs the theme from Captain Pugwash to celebrate:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hpIlLqfd_xI

I particularly enjoy the sign at Muff coming from the Burnfoot direction, showing Wavy Line (S) going North and Wavy Line (N) going South.

I can see the sense in that though. If you're following it from the starting point in the South heading North, you're following the (N) until it finishes in Derry, so in Muff you're still following (N) even though you're actually travelling South.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It will take a while for the promotion/word to get out there but it will have a huge impact when it does. As long as we continue to grasp the potential of tourism, something we weren't very good at during the boom years, and receive overseas visitors with open arms it will be a success.

I see more signage was erected on the Derry-Buncrana road today :)

• Advertisement

Actually, the more I see of this the more I like the idea. It also hooks directly at Derry with the round-the-coast A2 to continue around to Newry. Now that would be a pretty spectacular road trip around the North and West coasts, and could spin quite a bit of cash for tourism. Gone from being agnostic about it to being supportive.

Actually, the more I see of this the more I like the idea. It also hooks directly at Derry with the round-the-coast A2 to continue around to Newry. Now that would be a pretty spectacular road trip around the North and West coasts, and could spin quite a bit of cash for tourism. Gone from being agnostic about it to being supportive.

That north coast road is actually pretty impressive, was a passenger in a car on it many years ago, would love to drive it my self sometime.

As for the signs in Donegal, I'm yet to see them south of Letterkenny towards Donegal Town yet, nor have I seen them between Donegal Town and Sligo. I know I raised this in the Donegal Forum, but have also yet to see them in Sligo, despite an article on the campaign in the week in some of the Sligo Papers.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    That north coast road is actually pretty impressive, was a passenger in a car on it many years ago, would love to drive it my self sometime.

As for the signs in Donegal, I'm yet to see them south of Letterkenny towards Donegal Town yet, nor have I seen them between Donegal Town and Sligo. I know I raised this in the Donegal Forum, but have also yet to see them in Sligo, despite an article on the campaign in the week in some of the Sligo Papers.

You won't see them between letterkenny and Donegal town as that's not the route it takes.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    You won't see them between letterkenny and Donegal town as that's not the route it takes.

My apologies, but it does pass through Donegal Town, to/from Killybegs, and on towards Ballyshannon and Bundoran, via Murvagh and Rosnowlagh, and I am yet to see signs along there, atleast up untill a couple of weeks ago.

My apologies, but it does pass through Donegal Town, to/from Killybegs, and on towards Ballyshannon and Bundoran, via Murvagh and Rosnowlagh, and I am yet to see signs along there, atleast up untill a couple of weeks ago.

Part of the reason is just the amount of signs to be erected, it's the NRA responsible for the national routes, ie N56 & N15, and it's the local council erecting the signs on the local and regional roads

I am yet to see signs along there, atleast up untill a couple of weeks ago.

They're only in the process of putting the signs up.

Highland reporting toay that said signs cost €400,000 - this seems to be the cost for Donegal only

400K and they still can't get it right!

1912481_841390795878515_24449062_n.jpg

1891185_841391045878490_812543109_n.jpg

Some more promotion for the Wild Atlantic Way in Donegal, courtesy of Ireland's favorite astronaut.

Some more promotion for the Wild Atlantic Way in Donegal, courtesy of Ireland's favorite astronaut.

I'd bet he could spell Carndonagh properly! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement