Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first mod??

Options
  • 29-01-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Been vaping just shy of three weeks and i think im going to treat myself to a mod. I currently have a 650mah and 900mah ego t and c, and a 1000mah twist. Ive got a couple of kanger t2's and a couple of aspire bdc minis and an evod.
    At first i was contemplating getting a cheap mech clone and a dripping atty but after some thought i realised i would need a device for ohm reading too. So at the moment im thinking of picking up a telescoping sigelei zmax v5 from fasttech. I seems to do just about everything from what i can see and is very versitile. The price is very keen too, at around 50/60euro all in, batteries, the lot.
    So my thoughts now are maybe i will get the zmax, i can pick up a cheap mech mod then in a few weeks to play around with and will be able to read ohms from the sigelei for the time being untill i pick up the actual device specificly for this (Whose name i cant remember)

Id like to hear peoples thoughts and wise words. Also maybe someone could suggest some good toppers for the sigelei too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

The zmax v5 is a good choice but personally I would go for the vamo v5 in stainless steel. Its cheaper and its got a cool oled screen :-)

Dont get the kit though, that charger is crap. The zmax kit doesn't even come with a battery and the vamo v5 doesnt come with a kit.

If you can afford it get some Panasonic ncr18650b 3400mah batteries and a nitecore I2 or nitecore I4 with EU plug and an adaptor.

As for toppers the choice is endless, trident, patriot, etc. for drippers or kayfun 3.1, kayfun lite, taifun gt, fogger v3 etc. for tanks.

I cant advise you on clearos because I dont use them and know nothing about them:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eirewhite

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    The zmax v5 is a good choice but personally I would go for the vamo v5 in stainless steel. Its cheaper and its got a cool oled screen :-)

Dont get the kit though, that charger is crap. The zmax kit doesn't even come with a battery and the vamo v5 doesnt come with a kit.

If you can afford it get some Panasonic ncr18650b 3400mah batteries and a nitecore I2 or nitecore I4 with EU plug and an adaptor.

As for toppers the choice is endless, trident, patriot, etc. for drippers or kayfun 3.1, kayfun lite, taifun gt, fogger v3 etc. for tanks.

I cant advise you on clearos because I dont use them and know nothing about them:-)

Excellent, that gives me food for thought. Thanks for the advise on the batteries especially, thats the one part i really dont have a scoobie about.
    I would like to pick up a combination of 2 or 3 batteries or what ever i need to give me the option of a small mod, or one with long battery life for when im going out for the day. What would you reccomend??

Finally im looking to change from clearos anyway (just to try something else) definitly want to get a rebuildable dripping atty thats top of the list. I would like something then for on the go maybe a tank or something that holds a good drop of juice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Grab yourself an itaste vv3, it's a very handy battery to have and will tell you the resistance of your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Efest or AW IMR 18350s for small mode.

The 18650s Mr Chrome pointed towards are good if you know you're staying with regulated/protected mods but not ideal if you switch to mech mods. Not enough headroom for building experiments and any possible mistakes that might happen.
    AW 18490 IMRs fairly powerful for the size, 16.6A limit.
    AW 18650 1600mAh IMRs (not the 2000mAh ones) have a 24A limit.
    Then the Sony VTC3s from Vaporium.eu have a 30A limit. Very unlikely you'll reach those limits but it's nice to know that the battery can handle almost anything you could throw at it.

For drippers, if you're staying cheap then for single coils the iGO-L, for dual coils the iGO-W (both those atties will probably need their airholes widened with a needle file).
    If you don't mind spending in the €40-50 range for a dripper ESI will be getting the Origen dripper clone in the next week. Looks gorgeous on the Nemesis and it's clones (which is the mech that'd be most recommended).
    2_5_2013-12-13%2021.50.22.jpg

The Panasonic 18650's will give long life but if you want small you'll need 18350 batteries. The zmax is telescopic so it can take 18500 batteries aswell.

Personally I would buy 18350 batteries local because I dont fancy the brands fasttech stock. Efest and AW are good brands that most good vendors stock here.

18650....,18 is the width of the battery and 65.0 is the length in mm. Mah means milli amp hours and the higher the mah the longer the battery will last.

The trident is supposed to be a good dripper and the kayfun 3.1 or lite are good tanks. Then you have to buy wick, wire, cotton, etc. and learn how to rebuild which is a whole other ball game.
    Check out loads of utube vids on rebuilding tridents, kayfuns, etc. to give you an idea of whats involved.

• Advertisement

Yeah, what Grindle said :-)

The Panasonic 18650's will give long life but if you want small you'll need 18350 batteries. The zmax is telescopic so it can take 18500 batteries aswell.

Personally I would buy 18350 batteries local because I dont fancy the brands fasttech stock. Efest and AW are good brands that most good vendors stock here.

18650....,18 is the width of the battery and 65.0 is the length in mm. Mah means milli amp hours and the higher the mah the longer the battery will last.

The trident is supposed to be a good dripper and the kayfun 3.1 or lite are good tanks. Then you have to buy wick, wire, cotton, etc. and learn how to rebuild which is a whole other ball game.
    Check out loads of utube vids on rebuilding tridents, kayfuns, etc. to give you an idea of whats involved.

Ive been doing nout else the last 3 weeks but reading reviews awmd watching youtube vids about all aspects of vaping. To be fair the rebuildables that you wick with cotton dont look to be "too" difficult. Im dying to give it a go though. I took apart an unursed ce4 i had last week and took the wick from it. I took an evod apart and rebuilt it then (just for practice) i got it to fire up first time which was great, but more importantly it gave me a way of learning what wicks and coils and everything else actually are, and what they do.
    By the way you mentioned the kayfun, going on what i have read and watched these are supposed to be great? Are they expensive?

grindle wrote: »
    Efest or AW IMR 18350s for small mode.

The 18650s Mr Chrome pointed towards are good if you know you're staying with regulated/protected mods but not ideal if you switch to mech mods. Not enough headroom for building experiments and any possible mistakes that might happen.
    AW 18490 IMRs fairly powerful for the size, 16.6A limit.
    AW 18650 1600mAh IMRs (not the 2000mAh ones) have a 24A limit.
    Then the Sony VTC3s from Vaporium.eu have a 30A limit. Very unlikely you'll reach those limits but it's nice to know that the battery can handle almost anything you could throw at it.

For drippers, if you're staying cheap then for single coils the iGO-L, for dual coils the iGO-W (both those atties will probably need their airholes widened with a needle file).
    If you don't mind spending in the €40-50 range for a dripper ESI will be getting the Origen dripper clone in the next week. Looks gorgeous on the Nemesis and it's clones (which is the mech that'd be most recommended).
    2_5_2013-12-13%2021.50.22.jpg

Would you reccomend a newbie like myself should wait a couple of months before getting into mech mods, and just start with a vamo or what have you? Sounds like theres a fair chance you could make mistakes if you wernt fairly well up? And to be fair, i usually dive into things head first, break something and learn the hard way lol

Grab yourself an itaste vv3, it's a very handy battery to have and will tell you the resistance of your head.

Although i hear great things everywhere i look, im just not a fan of innokens mods. I know people swear by them but personally im not into their styling at all

The kayfuns are dirt cheap at fasttech, check out the reviews there.
    If you're getting a regulated device like the vamo the Panasonic batteries are the best but for low ohm madness on a mech mod the sonys(available also at FT) are good. The efest or AW are a good compromise between the two.

You are going to need an ohm meter so you might aswell get a vamo or zmax to start with.

• Advertisement

The kayfuns are dirt cheap at fasttech, check out the reviews there.
    If you're getting a regulated device like the vamo the Panasonic batteries are the best but for low ohm madness on a mech mod the sonys(available also at FT) are good. The efest or AW are a good compromise between the two.

You are going to need an ohm meter so you might aswell get a vamo or zmax to start with.

Ah ok. Thats a straightforward way of putting it thanks. Eh someone said earlier that the vamo would be better to go for than the sigelei.im not sure why but I was kind of under the impression that the sigelei would be of a better build quality. Would i be right or what do you think yourself mate?

Im only going on my experience, I have a vamo v2 and I love it, so Im probably a bit biased:-)

eirewhite wrote: »
    Although i hear great things everywhere i look, im just not a fan of innokens mods. I know people swear by them but personally im not into their styling at all

You're not confusing the itaste vv3 with the MVP are you?

This little baby http://www.vaperus.ie/innokin/331-itaste-vv-v30.html is a good way to get in to variable wattage vaping and is brilliant for out and about.

Im only going on my experience, I have a vamo v2 and I love it, so Im probably a bit biased:-)

On offer at thebestshop at the moment as well, only €29.99

I saw that but its the v5 I have my eye on, but I really want a flat top version:-) or I might wait for the v6 20watt!!!!!

Lol there seems to be quite a few vamo fans about!

That might swing me :-o

You're not confusing the itaste vv3 with the MVP are you?

This little baby http://www.vaperus.ie/innokin/331-itaste-vv-v30.html is a good way to get in to variable wattage vaping and is brilliant for out and about.

Nope im not. I will say though that is a sleek looking device, and although im not a fan of innokens stuff looks wise, i did sort of ear mark that mod at something to look at down the line. I could see that being what i bring to work every day. For the moment though, i kinda have my heart set of a "conventional mod" if i could call it that. Lava tube, vamo, zmax type mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

three week newb here and naturally im curious about mods too,
    can i piggyback and fire a few questions off?

im using ego twists and aspire bdc and quite happy with it
    (i got ce4's with my kit, the aspire is way better as you all know)

i dont vape over 4.2 on my twists and i can rotate my two batteries
    easily to have all day vaping, no charging panics, all fine!

so with that in mind, is a mod any use to me?
    its a power source at the end of the day, thats all?
    i dont want to vape at 6v so does it have any advantage over egos
    apart from cosmetics and the shorter form factor?

is there a "mods for dummies" vid or article link that would be useful?

thanks

The good ones are sturdier, power is a little more stable and accurate, but if you don't tend to bump past 12 watts there isn't too much point.
    If you're happy with what you have, stay happy with it - there's nothing most APV owners would love more than having their power provided by something eGo-sized, but batteries just haven't come that far yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yep. I always liked the twist but the mAh vs length was always a bit of an issue. Think they come in 1300mAh but wider as opposed to longer now. That's pretty good. 1300mAh should last a day without requiring a recharge really.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Eff Four

If you buy one of those uber-fancy-looking mods, do you have to use all the fiddley bits with them (aka rebuildable, wicking etc.) ? I looove the look of some of the shorter, shiney mods but I'm not quite ready for DIY, and by that I mean cba.

Eff Four wrote: »
    If you buy one of those uber-fancy-looking mods, do you have to use all the fiddley bits with them (aka rebuildable, wicking etc.) ? I looove the look of some of the shorter, shiney mods but I'm not quite ready for DIY, and by that I mean cba.

I use a protank with mine, works a treat.

Whatever device you want to put onto a fancy mech will work much better if you get a Kick or one of it's clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Get a nautilius tank. It'll fit nicely on a 22mm mod and it takes dual coil heads you can buy for €2.50 a go.

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/nautilus.htm

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/nautilushead.htm

Brilliant, thanks for the info. The "vape pr0n" thread has me in love with the nemesis, so once I have a few months off the analogs under my belt I'll be treating myself. What's a kick, something to give it a bit of extra oomph I'm guessing?

Brilliant, thanks for the info. The "vape pr0n" thread has me in love with the nemesis, so once I have a few months off the analogs under my belt I'll be treating myself. What's a kick, something to give it a bit of extra oomph I'm guessing?

Small circuit board that you can plonk on top of the battery that regulates the voltage/wattage. Mech mods without it will suffer voltage sag as they'll be delivering whatever voltage the battery's delivering, a regulator does what it says on the tin. Keeps it steady.

grindle wrote: »
    Small circuit board that you can plonk on top of the battery that regulates the voltage/wattage. Mech mods without it will suffer voltage sag as they'll be delivering whatever voltage the battery's delivering, a regulator does what it says on the tin. Keeps it steady.

So it makes sure you get a consistantly good vape from the start of battery life to when it dies, like with the likes of the provari? Or am I completely off the mark here?

You're so on the mark you practically are the mark.

• Advertisement

Well I took a spin up to dublin today and picked up my first mod. I got an innoken itaste svd and I am finding it absolutly great! I know I had said on here before that I wasnt a fan of innokens styling but when I seen the svd in person I really thought it looked great. I looked at some cheaper mods yesterday in a shop closer to home and wasnt impressed with the display or build quality on any of them. I oopped into the little place on mary street also and got two bottles of dea. Hazlenut and nemesi. Really nice liquid in my opinion. So having a lovely vape now with my cup of tea here. Good day and well worth the spin :)

Advertisement