Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yosemite in April

Options
  • 29-01-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi! I'm off to south California (south of LA) in April for work... :cool: I intend to stay 3-4 days after the work is done. I am strongly inclined to ignore the Hollywood sign and similar things, rent a car and hit Yosemite. In fact, I have almost made up my mind (but would hear other suggestions).

Any suggestions for reasonable car rental (public transport seems to be worse than Dublin!) and accommodation (no hostel, no luxury 5*), near restaurants/shops so that I don't have to drive but that are handy for trails?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

http://www.yosemitepark.com/lodging.aspx is your best bet to see what is available for accommodation. There are 6 or 7 located around "Curry Village" with loads of budgets in mind. We stayed at the Ahwahnee, but it was a treat.

As for car rental, any of the big ones will be fine. Just remember that in April some of the access roads and trails will still be closed. Also, with car rental - you'll need to rent snow chains just in case. I was in Tahoe last weekend and even though there was little or no snow, we were still inspected to see we had them.

From LA you're looking at a 6 hour drive minimum to where the hotels are in Yosemite - more if you're going on a weekend - the valley on the main access to Yosemite can get packed with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Consider Joshua Tree National Park instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Here are links to the opening dates of some of the roads in the park

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Excellent, thanks!

It looks like some roads wil be closed when I'm there, but I would only have to get to the camp/hotel by car. Surely I could drive to the village, right?

Joshua Tree National Park is my backup plan if flying back from SF is too expensive, as I will have to pay the difference. But I'd rather see the bears and mountail lions. :D

BTW I'm also posting here as I was also looking for more specific advise on running the trails.

Advertisement