Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alltech Brews and Food, 6-8 February

Options
  • 29-01-2014 12:55pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got the producer list for this. There are a few breweries whose beer will be in Ireland for the first time, I think.

DRINK
    Trouble Brewing - Ireland
    Mountain Man Brewing - Ireland
    Rascals Brewing - Ireland
    Blacks of Kinsale - Ireland
    N17 - Ireland
    Kinnegar - Ireland
    Redwell - UK
    Independent Brewing - Ireland
    Bru Brewery - Ireland
    Birra e Blues - Spain
    Carlow Brewing Company - Ireland
    Rye River Brewery – Ireland
    Kentucky Beers - United States
    White Gypsy – Ireland
    Independent craft brewers of Ireland – Ireland
    Galway Hooker – Ireland
    Hardknott – UK
    Espiga – Spain
    Coisbo Beer - Denmark
    Hunters - UK
    Windsor and Eton Brewery - UK
    Elgoods - UK
    Hilden - Ireland
    Dingle Distillery/ Porterhouse - Ireland
    Irish Whiskey Museum - Ireland
    Franciscan Well – Ireland
    Black Paw - UK
    Stone Barrel – Ireland
    Grand Cru - Ireland
    Molta Birra - Spain
    Welsh Beer Alliance (Group) - Wales

FOOD:
    Ballymaloe Relish
    Bretzel bakery
    Brodericks
    Burren Smokehouse
    Carrigaline Cheese
    Cashel Blue
    Connemara Pies
    Ed Hick Butchers
    Keogh’s Crisps
    Kinsale Gourmet
    Man of Aran Fudge
    Sheridan’s Cheese
    Wrights of Howth
    Little Milk Company
    De Mad Food Company
    Gilligans Meats
    Seymours Biscuits

Official site is here. Kinda bizarre the way admission to both sessions are the same price even though the Friday one is much shorter than Saturday.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Any free tickets going?;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Probably. They usually give out loads to pubs, offies, newspapers and radio stations to give away in competitions.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Work with people from Alltech and Trouble, so hoping to get a freebie myself :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

No discount for Beoir members? Not good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

No discount for Beoir members? Not good ;)

Nope - asked on the Twitter Machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

goign myself. looking forward to it. 4 free drinks? knowing ireland probably not pint glasses but taster glasses! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there one happening, somebody told me there was but I can't find it anywhere?

Found it, http://www.alltechbrewsandfood.com/breweries/ €15 in and 4 free drinks. Anyone been to the convention center before?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

An article in the Irish Times (poorly written I might add) about Alltech, the event this weekend and their future plans.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/changing-tastes-the-rise-and-rise-of-craft-beers-1.1675386?page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Anyone going today?

Be nice to see how it is before deciding to go on Sat.

I'll be heading along this evening. From the pictures I've seen, the set-up looks great - individual bars, some staffed by the brewers themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'll be heading along this evening. From the pictures I've seen, the set-up looks great - individual bars, some staffed by the brewers themselves.

The bars won't be open until tomorrow though, will they?

Alltech wrote:
    We're open Thurs 5pm-8pm, Fri 5pm-9pm and Sat 12pm-9pm
    Link

I don't see a way to buy tickets for today online, so presumably it's pay-at-the-door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Thanks, the website is awful (on the phone).
    5-8pm unfortunately. Pity it isn't until midnight or 11. I'll only be able to make it into town by 8 at the earliest. :(

Didn't get very far round the stalls this evening, but found some absolute gems. N17 Oatmeal stout, of which there's only one keg, is utterly amazing. Easily one of the best Irish stouts I've ever tasted. Windsor & Eton have Conqueror Black IPA on cask, which is excellent, and they have the stronger Conqueror 1075 bottled which is a lovely strong liqueurish stout. On the hoppy end, Redwell have a simply beautiful keg IPA, just roaring with super-fresh west coast hops.

I'm also a new convert to sweet chilli white pudding.

Worth going along to, though the CCD staff are pretty strict about closing times, so if you're going, go early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

How much is the beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Seen on twitter that it's €10 for 3 200ml plastic glasses (water cooler style glasses to boot).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Seen on twitter that it's €10 for 3 200ml plastic glasses (water cooler style glasses to boot).

Do they not give you a glass when you enter that you can clean out as you go around?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Do they not give you a glass when you enter that you can clean out as you go around?
    I'm not sure I haven't been so just commenting on what I saw on twitter.

I know the Irish Craft beer/cider festival that is run at the RDS will give you a pint glass that you can clean as you go around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

a tenner a pint!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

bloody hell. how do they justify those prices!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

physioman wrote: »

Yes, it's a complete rip off. Went last night. Set up v impressive with loads of variety. At least the food is free (bretzel bakery take a bow).

Quite a few English cask ales there. If you go, make sure to try the Hunters stand. Fabulous ales from Devon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

physioman wrote: »
    Hence the term 'rip off Ireland' :mad:

The stands (I've found) will give you a taster if you don't want to commit a ticket. I bought a couple of bottles from one of the stands and it worked out more economical than buying a sample.

There's a fair bit of free whiskey floating around, if you're there for the units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

The stands (I've found) will give you a taster if you don't want to commit a ticket. I bought a couple of bottles from one of the stands and it worked out more economical than buying a sample.

There's a fair bit of free whiskey floating around, if you're there for the units.

Yeah thats the thing. 15 quid gets you in covers the cost of food etc and four tokens and your glass. The 3 for 10 is a bit on the high side but as beernut says most stands will give you a sample if you don't want to commit a token.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Didn't get very far round the stalls this evening, but found some absolute gems. N17 Oatmeal stout, of which there's only one keg, is utterly amazing. Easily one of the best Irish stouts I've ever tasted.
    You steered me in the direction of this one when I said hello near their stand and am glad you did, its fantastic.

Did you get to try the English lambic? One of the most interesting things for me there yesterday.

Picked up one each of the Tiny Rebel beers to take away, been wanting to try Dirty Stop Out for yonks.

Despite the inevitable whingeing about prices, this is a must visit for beer lovers.

Didn't see the English lambic! Where was that?

Crowd called Elgoods, down near where Carlow were.

I had a fascinating chat with the brewer, he showed me pictures of the coolships and the lot.

Actually Beernut, if you are heading back in could you grab the name and ABV of the Lambic, I seem to have lost it in my notes, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

The Elgoods Lambic was definitely worth it. At 6.7 ABV it is a bit higher than Belgian lambics though but it did share it's flatness an sour taste. It had some nice fruity aftertastes. The brewer told me his brewery is in a region of apple orchards which may explain this extra taste. Quite remarkable to have a lambic type beer from the UK which still kept it's uniqueness.

Overall, I really disliked the event. However thought it was a good idea to have a rugby game on a big screen with all overwhelming noise should be sacked. It spoiled the whole event for me. You were barely able to speak be to the brewers because of the noise from the sound system and the venue was split in two because of crowd watching the screen. Very badly organised and I will not be returning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Was there last night. A total joke.

Felt like i'd crashed a Mormon wedding.

3 shot glasses of beer for €10????

We were gone within the hour.

Advertisement