Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaretta D'Arcy

Options
  • 29-01-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

I'm listening to an interview on RTE 1 at the moment with members of Margaretta D'Arcy's family. It struck me that there were no threads about her imprisonment, discussed on the Galway forum (either condemning it OR saying it is justified).
    I'm just curious, if one was moved or not (to politics)? Not sure how to back check like that. I know there's often huge disagreement on here with the GAAW people, so maybe it's that>

Mods, was anything moved?

A lot of attention in the media re a Galway resident recently.

Irish Times

Guardian

Examiner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nope, she hasn't come up here before, except an old thread from 2011.
    Seems the long thread in AH has been enough for discussion purposes.
    Is this thread to discuss her case, or to ask why there is no previous thread? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'm just curious, if one was moved or not (to politics)? Not sure how to back check like that.

Google it.

"Margaretta D'Arcy'" site:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=475

Even if a thread wasn't in this forum for long, it's likely to have been cached by Google very quickly.

Of coruse by now you'll get this thread in your search results.

(NB I'm fairly GAAW-sympathetic, compared to many here. But even I think that if she's not willing to sign the behaviour bond, then consequences need to apply, irrespective of factors that we're not allowed to discriminate based on.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

biko wrote: »
    Nope, she hasn't come up here before, except an old thread from 2011.
    Seems the long thread in AH has been enough for discussion purposes.
    Is this thread to discuss her case, or to ask why there is no previous thread? :P

More wondering why there wasn't a thread (yes, I could have started one, but I am slow off the mark this week! :P).

I'm discussing it on other fora myself anyway.

Google it.

"Margaretta D'Arcy'" site:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=475

Even if a thread wasn't in this forum for long, it's likely to have been cached by Google very quickly.

Of coruse by now you'll get this thread in your search results.

(NB I'm fairly GAAW-sympathetic, compared to many here. But even I think that if she's not willing to sign the behaviour bond, then consequences need to apply, irrespective of factors that we're not allowed to discriminate based on.)

Yep, when I hit your link I get this thread. I was asking if it was always possible to see if a thread was moved from this forum ("moved" beside it) or if that went after a while/wasn't always there.

She has said she is willing to sign a behaviour bond that doesn't mention Shannon as she feels that the usage of the airport for criminal reasons counteracts that.

Yep, when I hit your link I get this thread. I was asking if it was always possible to see if a thread was moved from this forum ("moved" beside it) or if that went after a while/wasn't always there.

She has said she is willing to sign a behaviour bond that doesn't mention Shannon as she feels that the usage of the airport for criminal reasons counteracts that.

No ... don't hit the link!

Google the entire phrase.

Sorry, there's no way I can show you what to do (LMGTFY doesn't work at work!).

• Advertisement

No ... don't hit the link!

Google the entire phrase.

Sorry, there's no way I can show you what to do (LMGTFY doesn't work at work!).

I wasn't asking if I could google it and see if it was elsewhere on boards! I was asking if there was always a way to see if something was moved between fora or merged. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

She didn't sign the bond, so she was rightly imprisoned. Age, illness, whatever. She was well enough to get on the runway so she's well enough to serve her sentence. No more than a petty criminal putting lives at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This is going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    She didn't sign the bond, so she was rightly imprisoned. Age, illness, whatever. She was well enough to get on the runway so she's well enough to serve her sentence. No more than a petty criminal putting lives at risk.

agree! i cant stand people in this country who makes stupid excuses for others.
    "oh she's to old". "its only a poor old lady".
    then there is uproar when others get some sentence and others are let of.
    a murder gets 6 years (not enough), but an old lady that put peoples lives at risk, should be left of (ah let her go).

let me ask you this, if that was a 30 year old Muslim, sneaking on an airport, would you want him to be freed too? everyone should be treated the same, age shouldnt come into it

I wasn't asking if I could google it and see if it was elsewhere on boards! I was asking if there was always a way to see if something was moved between fora or merged. :rolleyes:

And I wasn't telling you how to see if it was elsewhere on boards! :eek:

I was telling you how to see if it was in the Galway City forum at some time when Google indexed the forum. That's what the php?f=475 at the end of the link is about. If you get a result from that search, but when you click on it the result isn't in boards any more, or re-directs to another thread, then you know that it was in Galway City, but has been moved or deleted.

After Google indexes something, even if the original something is moved or deleted the index entry isn't deleted for a lot longer.

• Advertisement

And I wasn't telling you how to see if it was elsewhere on boards! :eek:

I was telling you how to see if it was in the Galway City forum at some time when Google indexed the forum. That's what the php?f=475 at the end of the link is about. If you get a result from that search, but when you click on it the result isn't in boards any more, or re-directs to another thread, then you know that it was in Galway City, but has been moved or deleted.

After Google indexes something, even if the original something is moved or deleted the index entry isn't deleted for a lot longer.

Ah I see. Thanks for that. That does help, but what I was asking is re an actual internal Boards indication if something had moved or not. In other words, if I look on a thread in after hours, and a thread was merged in from say Galway, is there always a way to see that. Or if a thread *was* on here (and biko did confirm there wasn't in this case) will there always be a 'trace' left.

Perhaps I need to go off and swot the techy section!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

As a nation we should be making the most of our position on the Atlantic to create jobs by servicing all available sea and Air traffic to the war zones especially if allowed by the UN, which most of the US traffic is.

I heard on the radio tha 2,500,000 military people have passed through Shannon on their way to various wars and missions from the US to places like Iraq, Afghanistan and the Horn of Africa.

If we wholeheartedly supported and backed this effort, sanctioned by the UN, instead of sticking to some out of date adherence to neutrality ( ie. anti British sentiment) we could reduce unemployment somewhat.

The unemployed will never get the chance to air their preferences in the face of objectors in cushy jobs pushing neutrality at all costs.

My dream would be to allow EU countries such as Holland, Belgium, Germany etc to base Ocean Patrol ships and Aircraft in Ireland to allow the EU to control the Atlantic more effectively from potential enemies and smugglers etc. Maybe even the UK but they already have great access through Scotland and the South west of England.

If we used all our west coast Airports as bases for an EU wide, integrated defence system we could generate lots of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My take on her - she epitomise civil disobedience. She did was she believed is right, stood by her convictions and took the jail time. She is not trying to flee her responsibilities as she perceives them.
    Now I don't agree with blocking a runway like that which could possibly be a danger to herself or the lives of passengers (I don't know if they know landing times etc) but at least she managed to get the topic of Ireland's involvement with the US war for oil on terrorism.

I'm sure this discussion will spread from just her into GAAW and war in general which is fine as long as a very civil tone is held.

Advertisement