Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of people can't cook.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

If you've about 4 hours in the evening between the time you get home from work and the time you go to bed, why would you want to spend a chunk of that preparing a meal if you don't have to? I mean, fair enough if you're an enthusiast, but otherwise it's like asking why everyone goes to a mechanic instead of changing their own oil.

Hi,

For someone not into food it's a very fair question. (not saying you're not into food btw :)). It's the same with most things. I play golf and one morning when out very early we noticed a small fishing boat going by. I said to my partner, "Jees, that some hour to be going out fishing" and he replied, "He's probably thinking the same about us!" :p

The attractions for me regarding cooking and food are:
    • I know exactly what I am eating. This is the top priority for me as I prepare all my kids' meals. They'll eat sausages and fish fingers the odd time, but by and large, nothing prepared/processed.

• Food tastes so much better than what you can buy prepared. Sure, it takes a while to get the hang of it, but starting small and building confidence is the way to go. Even only last week I made a side I hadn't done in ages - stick slivers of garlic into halved tomatoes, pop into an oven for 20 mins and you have something amazingly good. Prep time - 1 minute.

• Cost. Preparing food yourself is so much cheaper. I made pulled pork yesterday (sorry beer!) using a joint I bought in Tesco for a fiver. It feed 4 adults and 2 kids. Made it in my 23 euro slow cooker that used the same electricity as a light bulb turned on for 9 hours.

• It's a life skill. There are others to be sure, but I can't think of any (well maybe one ;)) that provides such an instant return on investment than cooking.

Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Many people suffer from flavour blindness!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Many people suffer from flavour blindness!

That's true - and there are people with little interest in food. They eat simply to survive :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Great thread! I learned to cook naturally by helping my parents. I totally took it for granted as a kid but I now realise how lucky I am. I really enjoy cooking as an enthusiastic amateur and would be happy to tackle most recipes.

I changed careers five years ago so I found myself with more free time to cook. I decided to broaden my skills by trying a bit of baking to see if I could do it. I don't really have a sweet tooth so I started bringing the results to work. Nothing fancy: a few scones, soda bread, all-in-one cakes and so on. My colleagues were delighted and a few of them started asking me about cooking.

I've since given 3-4 of them a few basic and highly informal cooking lessons. It was an eye opener as they're all intelligent and highly qualified people, mostly in their 30s. Even with a recipe they had no idea what to actually do. We started with dishes they liked and wanted to make themselves e.g. steak and oven chips, curry and pasta without using jars or packets etc. It was great fun and once they had the basics they were away on a hack.

It made me realise that if you haven't grown up cooking it tends to leave you without the basic skills and confidence to buy the ingredients and make something. It can also be hard enough for an adult to go out and find someone to actually stand beside them and say "hold on, the pan is too hot, the onions are browning too fast so we'll turn it down a bit now" etc.

I can totally appreciate that if you don't have an interest in cooking then it's just another chore and many people just want to get it over with as fast as possible, or they prefer to eat convenience foods, as they are now so widely available compared to a few decades ago. That said, I think everyone benefits from having a grasp of basic cooking skills. Then you have a choice: you can decide to cook or not based on your preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I completely get that people see spending a lot of time cooking as a waste if they are not enjoying it, and if they don't really taste or value the difference you get with more effort.

What baffles me is that some people don't realise that recipes can take time and the work that is put into them. A friend of mine once told me she cooked lasagne from scratch - meaning a Dolmio kit, rather than buying a ready-made lasagne. fair enough, this was a good effort from her as she normally cook nothing, but she actually didn't understand how it could get any more "from scratch" than that :confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Loire wrote: »
    Hi,

For someone not into food it's a very fair question. (not saying you're not into food btw :)). It's the same with most things. I play golf and one morning when out very early we noticed a small fishing boat going by. I said to my partner, "Jees, that some hour to be going out fishing" and he replied, "He's probably thinking the same about us!" :p

• I know exactly what I am eating. This is the top priority for me as I prepare all my kids' meals. They'll eat sausages and fish fingers the odd time, but by and large, nothing prepared/processed.

• Food tastes so much better than what you can buy prepared. Sure, it takes a while to get the hang of it, but starting small and building confidence is the way to go. Even only last week I made a side I hadn't done in ages - stick slivers of garlic into halved tomatoes, pop into an oven for 20 mins and you have something amazingly good. Prep time - 1 minute.

• Cost. Preparing food yourself is so much cheaper. I made pulled pork yesterday (sorry beer!) using a joint I bought in Tesco for a fiver. It feed 4 adults and 2 kids. Made it in my 23 euro slow cooker that used the same electricity as a light bulb turned on for 9 hours.

• It's a life skill. There are others to be sure, but I can't think of any (well maybe one ;)) that provides such an instant return on investment than cooking.

Loire.

Nice post and that all makes total sense to me. I actually get why people are into cooking, I can see the value in it, it just doesn't do anything for me personally. In my own life where I tend to have too much to do (or that I want to do) and not enough hours in the day, it's just not important enough to me to put the time in.

Oddly enough, the other side of that is that I love food. I'm just more inclined to eat out from time to time to satisfy that craving. I'm also fortunate enough that I work in a place that has really good catering, so I tend to essentially have restaurant quality meals for lunch and am happy enough with something small for dinner, like a bit of pasta with pesto, a caesar salad, some soup and a baguette, or a quick stir fry. I wouldn't really call that cooking though!

I don't think it's fair to imply, as a poster below you did, that people who don't cook are flavour blind. I recognise and adore good food, I'm just not that into cooking it. To use the motoring analogy again - I like nice cars but I don't build them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't think it's fair to imply, as a poster below you did, that people who don't cook are flavour blind.

Some people who love to cook are flavour blind!
    I didn't see anyone implied what you are saying.

Some people who love to cook are flavour blind!
    I didn't see anyone implied what you are saying.

Post #33 in the context of the OP and without context of any quoted posts would certainly appear to imply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Post #33 in the context of the OP and without context of any quoted posts would certainly appear to imply it.

It just says 'many people'. I know plenty of people who love to cook but aren't great at identifying or combining flavours.

dee_mc wrote: »
    It just says 'many people'. I know plenty of people who love to cook but aren't great at identifying or combining flavours.

Fair enough, I'm not looking to get into an argument about it or ruffle any feathers. Just observing that posts in isolation are usually construed as responses to the OP, and that as a response to the OP would appear to refer to people who can't cook. Otherwise it's a non-sequitur. It's not that big a deal.

• Advertisement

Nice post and that all makes total sense to me. I actually get why people are into cooking, I can see the value in it, it just doesn't do anything for me personally. In my own life where I tend to have too much to do (or that I want to do) and not enough hours in the day, it's just not important enough to me to put the time in.

Thanks Maximus,

That's the crux of it really and the reason why any of us do anything.
    I'm also fortunate enough that I work in a place that has really good catering, so I tend to essentially have restaurant quality meals for lunch

Lucky you! I tend to move around with work at the moment and whilst the cateens are OK, they aren't great and are all a bit "samey" - the same frozen carrots everywhere!
    and am happy enough with something small for dinner, like a bit of pasta with pesto, a caesar salad, some soup and a baguette, or a quick stir fry. I wouldn't really call that cooking though!

I would! Not too bad there Bosco!
    I recognise and adore good food, I'm just not that into cooking it. To use the motoring analogy again - I like nice cars but I don't build them!

I was thinking about that analogy and although I know where you are coming from I don't think it's accurate. It's practically impossible to build a car that meats safety regulations, is reliable & comfortable to drive. Ditto with servicing...this made sense years ago when cars were easy to fix and always broke down. These days, cars are so complex (electricals etc) and reliable that unless you are really into it or service other cars for a living, then it really doesn't make sense to do it yourself. Eating on the other hand is something we must do every day. Obvioulsy the market has ensured we have a range of options here, from meals that go "bing" to raw meat & veg to make yourself. Given the small effort it takes to get up and running compared with the return (cost, health, taste etc) it's a better use of time IMO.

Having said ALL that....I'd murder a mackers right now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

It's practically impossible to build a car that meats safety regulations,

Is dinner on your mind Loire? :pac:

Animord wrote: »
    Is dinner on your mind Loire? :pac:

LOL.

We're actually having salmon tonight. Fresh from the fishmongers with extra creamy and extra buttery mash. nom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Apropos of nothing, I read ages ago that many New Yorkers are only 7 days from starvation. The point being that a large section of the population are so reliant on outside catering, that any disruption to that outlet for nourishment would leave this population with no means to feed themselves. They can't cook, don't shop for groceries and in extreme cases, have no access to cooking facilities. Cue searches for NEw York apartments with no functioning kitchens...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Minder wrote: »
    Apropos of nothing, I read ages ago that many New Yorkers are only 7 days from starvation. The point being that a large section of the population are so reliant on outside catering, that any disruption to that outlet for nourishment would leave this population with no means to feed themselves. They can't cook, don't shop for groceries and in extreme cases, have no access to cooking facilities. Cue searches for NEw York apartments with no functioning kitchens...

I think that theory refers more to the fragility of our just-in-time supply chain than cooking ability.

Knowing how to cook is no use if Tesco is empty because their trucks run out of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi,

Loire.

Cracking post!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

Malari wrote: »
    I completely get that people see spending a lot of time cooking as a waste if they are not enjoying it, and if they don't really taste or value the difference you get with more effort.

What baffles me is that some people don't realise that recipes can take time and the work that is put into them. A friend of mine once told me she cooked lasagne from scratch - meaning a Dolmio kit, rather than buying a ready-made lasagne. fair enough, this was a good effort from her as she normally cook nothing, but she actually didn't understand how it could get any more "from scratch" than that :confused::eek:

My mother did a hospitality course once where one of the women really impressed them all by saying she knew how to make pasta.

The people running the course said that maybe she could bring in the ingredients and show them all how to make it. So she brought in a bag of normal dried pasta from Tesco :P

My mother did a hospitality course once where one of the women really impressed them all by saying she knew how to make pasta.

The people running the course said that maybe she could bring in the ingredients and show them all how to make it. So she brought in a bag of normal dried pasta from Tesco :P

I did a cookery course once and the first day we were taken round the farm and shown the hen house and where to collect the eggs. During the course of the talk she referred to the hens as chickens and one guy said in absolutely horrified tones "you mean these are the things we eat?" He has absolutely no idea that meat called chicken was the same thing that produced eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

hardCopy wrote: »
    I think it's a combination of fear and laziness.

Some people have never learned to cook and the first steps into cooking can be quite daunting, especially if a recipe calls for something you've never seen before and are afraid to ask for in the supermarket/butcher. You have to just take the plunge and keep practising, and use google when you read about an ingredient you don't know. It doesn't take long to get to the point where you can cook better than a ready meal.

Others are just plain lazy, once you know how to cook the time excuse doesn't really wash, it's just a matter of being organised. Last night it took my girlfriend 2 hours to batch cook 14 dinners for us. That included 6 portions of cottage pie, 4 of lasagne and 4 chicken and veg curries. They're now frozen in take away style boxes, ready for the microwave any time we're stuck.

Personally I won't eat food that's been reheated in the microwave. Makes it taste awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Personally I won't eat food that's been reheated in the microwave. Makes it taste awful.

Huh?

• Advertisement

They'll never catch on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Huh?

Good input.

Microwaves have their place, some things don't reheat well in them, in fact some things don't reheat well in an oven either. But there are plenty of things that do fine in a microwave, soup for instance.

I usually find things that don't reheat well and be vastly improved with a dollop of butter, but maybe that is just me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Like any teenage males, my sons could eat all day. My wife used to make a substantial dinner each evening, but a couple of hours later, they would be 'starving'. Fair play to my wife, she never gave in and made them anything extra. Instead, they would mooch out to the kitchen and return with the oddest concoctions you could imagine

By time they left home for college, both could happily cook a variety of meals for themselves and they never went hungry. More importantly, they knew how to shop well for ingredients.

When they come home, they often cook the family meal and we all hang around the kitchen, chopping, mixing and peeling. A great way to catch up. As for me, I enjoy cooking. Now that I'm not working at the minute, I probably make 1 out of 3 meals for myself and Mrs Oldyouth

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I can cook as can most of my friends, in fact, in my experience it is the women who are more into cooking. We are interested to varying degrees, I have about three hours after I get home from work, so an awful lot of the time we either eat something fast, or we have to reheat something that was batch cooked at the weekend. My freezer is full of curry, pasta sauces, pies, etc. I prefer to eat freshly cooked stuff, but honestly, between normal housework, ironing, shopping, etc there just are not enough hours in the day, especially in winter.

One of my friends cannot understand this, but she is a teacher and has a significantly shorter day that I do so she happily spends hours in the kitchen every evening. I get my time at the weekend when we eat well on fresh food.

When I met my boyfriend, he could boil pasta and that was it. He can now cook anything from the most basic pasta sauce to a full roast dinner, he doesn't bake, but he has come so far and I don't expect miracles. :)

The big difference was that as a child/ teenager, I was in the kitchen when dinner was being made, I peeled, chopped, stirred and tasted from a very young age. He never saw his mother cooking and as a result, his three adult siblings think that a stressful dinner involves oven chips, bisto, tinned peas and maybe a piece of Donegal Catch or a frozen burger. They live off ready meals, take aways, sandwiches and cereal as far as I can see.

The thought of grating nutmeg, crushing garlic, ricing potatoes and searing steak are as alien to them as walking on the moon. They wouldn't ever think of buying a recipe book, none of them own a wok, if you handed them a butternut squash they couldn't identify it.

I really do think that the key to getting people to think that cooking is normal is showing kids how to do it from a young age. An active interest in food may or may not follow but self sufficiency (within reason) and confidence to try something new should be instilled in everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I only got into cooking about 3 or 4 years ago, before that I had no interest in it and saw it as a waste of time. I did know the basics and could cook a few decent meals, but I didn't enjoy doing it. We lived on lots of ready meals. My mum is a great cook and did show me a few things while I still lived at home, but she kind of owned the kitchen and I never really got to cook a meal by myself back then. Once I started cooking properly a few years ago, I realized that it can be fun and that it's a lot more satisfying than just putting something in the oven. My boyfriend also very much prefers my home-cooked meals to the stuff we ate before.

I also know lots of people of all ages that can't really cook anything and have no interest in it. They might make a sunday roast or something, but for the rest of the week they just eat ready meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I find food cools down very fast when heated in the mcrowave but its great for scrambled eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I find food cools down very fast when heated in the mcrowave
    Right, it must be a special kind of heat that disappears more quickly, I guess :rolleyes:
    but its great for scrambled eggs.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! The work of the devil, scrambled eggs must be made in a pan with butter, no other way.

Alun wrote: »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! The work of the devil, scrambled eggs must be made in a pan with butter, no other way.

Dead handy for breakfast in work. Knob of butter, two eggs, drop of milk and a heap of Tex-Mex seasoning. Beat, nuke, beat, nuke, eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Alun wrote: »
    Right, it must be a special kind of heat that disappears more quickly, I guess :rolleyes:

Always make scramblers in the microwave, saves a lot of bother (except for cleaning up the container afterwards). Likewise most veg are easier and better to nuke instead of boil....

Advertisement