Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of people can't cook.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Saves what bother? Melt butter in pan, add eggs, stir around until done, serve. Microwaved scrambled eggs always have the wrong texture, probably because they're cooked throughout rather than having parts that are more cooked and others more runny. They always seem to end up a bit watery for some reason too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

My mother was a terrible cook, she overcooked everything and as we used a range even pizzas would be over or under cooked.
    I thought myself mostly or picked up from warching others. Its all timing, you dont need to stand over a cooker for hours to makes a meal. You can even stick the meat and veg in together for a roast then its just timing.

For many people their parents done all the cooking and they never learned but if they even watched they should have some idea. Many of the girls I know cant cook due to their diet. Lots of low fat ready meals and salads where as for many of the guys I know that can its a case of wanting a decent meal in the evening and having to cook it themselves.

Alun wrote: »
    Right, it must be a special kind of heat that disappears more quickly, I guess :rolleyes:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! The work of the devil, scrambled eggs must be made in a pan with butter, no other way.

You microwave them at a low heat setting, stop and mash them a few times to get them fluffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I spent five years recently, living alone - and unless I was being cooked for, or going out for a meal, I cooked for myself almost every day.

After a commute home, pottering about in the kitchen preparing supper was a great way to relax and de-stress.

The other benefit of cooking, as I discovered during those five years, is that women love to be cooked for! I think one of the main reasons I don't live alone now is that I wowed her in the kitchen!

I read this in the last couple of days - no 8 on the list sums it up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/27/the-11-most-attractive-things-men-do_n_4673122.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

nompere wrote: »
    The other benefit of cooking, as I discovered during those five years, is that women love to be cooked for! I think one of the main reasons I don't live alone now is that I wowed her in the kitchen!

I read this in the last couple of days - no 8 on the list sums it up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/27/the-11-most-attractive-things-men-do_n_4673122.html
    I don't know about any of the other things on the list, but one out of eleven isn't bad I suppose :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

What scares people about cooking is

1) how to cut
    2) how to measure
    3) How to taste, or time

Its amazing how many beginner cook books assume all of this. Tell people how to dice etc. Insist on having some measuring equipment. In terms of timing I don't mean 20 minutes, but how to tell if the scrambled eggs ( for example) are cooked. You can't just say 2 minutes, because all stoves have different measures, but tell people what to expect when things are cooked.

Alun wrote: »
    I don't know about any of the other things on the list, but one out of eleven isn't bad I suppose :D

As long as its not a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

hardCopy wrote: »
    I think that theory refers more to the fragility of our just-in-time supply chain than cooking ability.

Knowing how to cook is no use if Tesco is empty because their trucks run out of fuel.

Except that most people who cook on a regular basis have store cupboard ingredients that will sustain them in the event of the supply chain failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Minder wrote: »
    Except that most people who cook on a regular basis have store cupboard ingredients that will sustain them in the event of the supply chain failing.

People who don't cook have a freezer full of ready meals and a cupboard full of tinned soup, beans and so forth to sustain them in the event of the supply chain failing. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

People who don't cook have a freezer full of ready meals and a cupboard full of tinned soup, beans and so forth to sustain them in the event of the supply chain failing. :P

ah but when the apocalypse comes those of us that can cook will be able to cook over the fire from our store cupboards. You will just have a big freezer full of melted, gone off food. You will wish you were us then. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Animord wrote: »
    ah but when the apocalypse comes those of us that can cook will be able to cook over the fire from our store cupboards. You will just have a big freezer full of melted, gone off food. You will wish you were us then. :P

Oddly enough, for someone who doesn't cook, my cupboard looks a lot like this:

Michele-Platman-1024x768.jpg

That would keep me going for a while, and then I'm sure you responsible cook types will be nice enough to share. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Oddly enough, for someone who doesn't cook, my cupboard looks a lot like this:

That would keep me going for a while, and then I'm sure you responsible cook types will be nice enough to share. :D

Of course we will - call me when you run out of pasta and I'll make you some more...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

What scares people about cooking is

1) how to cut
    2) how to measure
    3) How to taste, or time

Its amazing how many beginner cook books assume all of this. Tell people how to dice etc. Insist on having some measuring equipment. In terms of timing I don't mean 20 minutes, but how to tell if the scrambled eggs ( for example) are cooked. You can't just say 2 minutes, because all stoves have different measures, but tell people what to expect when things are cooked.

I will add more to this thread after but I had the luck to work in a busy hotel from 13-18 (I'm far from that now) Dishwasher/Preparer but you never forget what you learn and see in such an environment.

Advertisement