Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox 360 live - help please :)

Options
  • 29-01-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi, my son got an xbox 360 for xmas, all games play fine...everyone is happy except when we tried to connect to xbox live - it will connect to broadband but once it goes to the last connect to xbox live test the screen just freezes. Got on to the xbox support, spent the best part of a night and no luck so in the end we returned it to xbox support and they sent it back yesterday with nothing to say what was fixed if anything. So tried it again last night...and the same thing again, freezes at the last thing.

That online support did my head in :mad:

Advice / help for a desperate mammy!? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

what do you mean by freezing? Does it just lock up and not responded and you have to restart it or it just sits on the testing part and doesn't finish?

You don't say how you are connecting, is it wifi or with a cable?

If it's with wifi might be good if it's an option to connect to the broadband with a cable just to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

tracey1098 wrote: »
    Hi, my son got an xbox 360 for xmas, all games play fine...everyone is happy except when we tried to connect to xbox live - it will connect to broadband but once it goes to the last connect to xbox live test the screen just freezes. Got on to the xbox support, spent the best part of a night and no luck so in the end we returned it to xbox support and they sent it back yesterday with nothing to say what was fixed if anything. So tried it again last night...and the same thing again, freezes at the last thing.

That online support did my head in :mad:

Advice / help for a desperate mammy!? :D

Just throwing it out there it might be a stupid question but have you bought a xbox live pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

colmufc wrote: »
    Just throwing it out there it might be a stupid question but have you bought a xbox live pass

I don't think that's needed to connect to Live...as you can buy a pass by the console if you don't have one so it'd need basic access to Live anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

calex71 wrote: »
    what do you mean by freezing? Does it just lock up and not responded and you have to restart it or it just sits on the testing part and doesn't finish?

You don't say how you are connecting, is it wifi or with a cable?

If it's with wifi might be good if it's an option to connect to the broadband with a cable just to test it.

Yes it locks on the the second circle and just sits there. If restarted it just happens again. Connected via wifi, the router is in a different room so cable is not an option.

tracey1098 wrote: »
    Yes it locks on the the second circle and just sits there. If restarted it just happens again. Connected via wifi, the router is in a different room so cable is not an option.

Strange one that, maybe the security type on the router or something? Don't rule out a wired connection, check out those powerline adapters :)

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Strange one that, maybe the security type on the router or something? Don't rule out a wired connection, check out those powerline adapters :)

+1 for those little guys, just out of curiosity OP what make is the broadband router, they only similar problem I saw when i did a search was an issue with a certain make of router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Have you got an Eircom Netopia modem? If so you need to log in and lower the firewall. Low setting should be ok to leave it on but you will have to do it for every update if you raise it back up.

To lower it just open a browser on any computer and put 192.168.1.254 in the address bar. You will see an option for the firewall on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

Myrddin wrote: »
    I don't think that's needed to connect to Live...as you can buy a pass by the console if you don't have one so it'd need basic access to Live anyway.

Ya I forgot that it's been years since I was a silver member , it's definitely the firewall if it's an eircom router I had to get a 15m cable and run it around a door and up the side of the stairs ,the girlfriend is still giving out about it

colmufc wrote: »
    Ya I forgot that it's been years since I was a silver member , it's definitely the firewall if it's an eircom router I had to get a 15m cable and run it around a door and up the side of the stairs ,the girlfriend is still giving out about it

Again check out those powerline adapters, might cheer your gf up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Have you got an Eircom Netopia modem? If so you need to log in and lower the firewall. Low setting should be ok to leave it on but you will have to do it for every update if you raise it back up.

To lower it just open a browser on any computer and put 192.168.1.254 in the address bar. You will see an option for the firewall on the left.

Thanks so much - this worked! Why didnt I post here in first place... much appreciated! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 scubastevelyne

there is also a setting on the router, cant rememer it exactly but if you dont increse the timer one it it will kick you out after a short period of time so increase to 9999 think its re-authentication, feel free to correct me anyone, i'm new to boards

there is also a setting on the router, cant rememer it exactly but if you dont increse the timer one it it will kick you out after a short period of time so increase to 9999 think its re-authentication, feel free to correct me anyone, i'm new to boards

Sounds like DHCP lease

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Hi any that could help me out.
    Every so often I keep getting disconnected from xbox live. Could be every 5 mins or every half hour it varys. But then I can sign in straight away no problem.
    What could this be thanks

steven087 wrote: »
    Every so often I keep getting disconnected from xbox live. Could be every 5 mins or every half hour it varys. But then I can sign in straight away no problem.

Yeah used to get this all the time on the old 8mb vodafone router, (white one) since switching to the fibre one it hasn't happened at all, but I resolved it with homeplug adapters like Myrddin mentioned while I was on the older type broadband. It was also cheaper than buying a new router.

There could be an other issue with a simple fix you are having, but I was pulling my hair out and am experienced enough with networks, in the end the €35 I paid for the plugs was a steal, took longer to get them out of the box than to set up :pac:

Edit: How far away from the actual wireless router are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 scubastevelyne

steven087 wrote: »

check the settings on your router if its an eircom router think its re-authentication increase the number to 9999

Advertisement