Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyrighting a game

• 29-01-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Have been doing a little research into this recently, so figured I'd share what I found incase it's of any use to the next guy/girl.

According to the Irish Patent Office (here), copyright is automatically granted on creation of an original work.

“...the act of creating a work also creates the copyright, which then subsists in the physical expression of the work."

This leads to the question of how you can prove you are the creator. They recommend the following:

"One way of doing this is to deposit a copy of the work with an acknowledged representative who may be a bank or solicitor in such a way as to allow the date and time of the deposit to be recorded or notarised. Alternatively, one may send a copy of the work to oneself by registered post (ensuring a clear date stamp on the envelope), retaining the original receipt of posting and leaving the envelope containing the copyright work unopened thus establishing that the work existed at that date and time."

Last, there appear to be 3 components of a game which can be copyrighted:

1) The characters and situation (plot)
    2) The look and feel
    3) The code

I'm guessing that only the very specifics of these components can be copyrighted, or these components as a whole.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

For a start your game dev posts relating to your project are already logged here on an Irish forum. Theres some dates on the basic idea already maybe.

The above advice sounds good though. I wonder if using a notary is an affordable/sensible option too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Never actually thought of that, but makes sense. Yeah, think plan B (passworded USB through registered post) makes more sense for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The registered post route is well documented as having legal significance for the film industry if that helps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

RedXIV wrote: »
    The registered post route is well documented as having legal significance for the film industry if that helps?
    Yep, that is the one and main stop for dating a patent on an idea, at least when I first heard about patents.

Advertisement