Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Express

Options
  • 29-01-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭

Just an observation I made, possibly everyone else knew this except me, but anyway :-)

Recently a tesco express opened up quite close to me. I kept noticing that items I always buy in my shopping are more expensive in tesco express than a 'normal' tesco. I put it down to prices changing weekly or whatever, but I did a small little price comparison on a number of items, and it seems tesco charge us for the privilage of shopping in a smaller store than they do in their bigger stores. One example is a particular brand of wine I always buy, in tesco express its 88cent more expensive.

Its just something to keep in mind, its not huge differences, but still all the same, for some reason I feel I am being ripped off :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This is the way forward. Tesco growth has stopped so they are now opening lots of small express stores. They are now shutting down small local stores in their pursuit of growth. But you will end up paying more.

They are a multinational mammoth. Get used to it. They will turn Ireland into another uk where there are no small stores left. Then they will lash up the prices and you will be stuck.

I know, I own a small store....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

doesn't surprise me. A Tesco express is like a convenience store and as such you are paying for the convenience of it like any Centre, Spar etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The express stores are also not be included in the price promise <SNIP> obviously because they charge so much more.

In my hometown, on Merseyside, they are buying up pubs, clubs, anything at all and putting in these shops.

The only shops left there now are little local stores where you can see an old man behind the counter watching tv. Thats whats coming here. Tescotown comes to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

Yeah superscouse, thats exactly what they have done, bought up an old pub.
    The local corner shop has already closed down, and Id say even the spar next door to it is struggling at this stage.
    I know they are convienence stores and not supermarkets, but the price difference still surprised me none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭cml387

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Been in the small Tesco in Fairview a few times - didn't buy much and noticed prices were higher than a normal Tesco. Can't say exactly which ones as it was a good while ago and I don't shop in the ordinary Tescos nowadays so can't compare current prices. It's a convenience store so you probably pay a premium for that. I shop a fair bit in Aldi - always have offers on their fruit and veg and not on all the c rap stuff. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I work within 8 minutes walk of two regular Tesco shops. The prices vary between both almost all the time, bar the advertised specials. It's funny how the one with the more upmarket address is more expensive....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

All other Tesco have the same prices, its only Express that have their own prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    All other Tesco have the same prices, its only Express that have their own prices.

That's not true! I've seen it first hand within an hour of each other. Tesco prices vary from store to store except where there are advertised special offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Tesco rush is far more expensive than tesco clarehall. The tesco branded stuff is muck and choice is poor in both.

It based on the area and competition. Once all other shops have gone, prices will shoot up and you will have no choice.

This has been played out a thousand times across the water, and now its starting here. Get used to it folks.

I can remember an ejit on here complaining about the prices in their local stores and how he was hoping tesco would come in, wipe them out and give him "value", his words were "BRING IT ON", Ha, hope that dope is watching now. He will end up paying even more again.

Tried to use search to find him but cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I completely agree about the effect that these express shops have done in england. They are everywhere, 2 per long street and then a sainsbury down a side road. No independants.

It is true that when there is nowhere else, the chains will put up prices.

But as far as I know there are 2 price files in Ireland, the Tesco Express and the normal Tesco stores. Thats it.

If thats not the case, buy a load of stuff in the expensive store and swap it for stock in the cheaper store and make a killing.

Unless some stores are way behind changing the SEL price signs and thats why the prices are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

So basically its better to shop at other small stores in order to keep them in business.

If they go, prices will go up as competition decreases.

Advertisement