Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for babysitting work - Where to advertise?

Options
  • 29-01-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello everyone,

My name is Chloe, I'm 21 and I am currently in college.

I want to start doing some babysitting as I did it when I was younger and enjoyed it.

But I'm not sure where I should look?

When I was younger I used to hang up flyers in the local post office and it worked just fine, but that doesn't seem to be working anymore.

I would appreciate some advice :)

Thanks,

Chloe

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,972 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think nowadays people are more likely to ask someone they know, or know of, rather than a stranger from a flyer in the shop or post office.

Do you know many parents? You could let them know you were available to babysit, and to tell their friends...

Personally, I'd either look for a younger teenager, or an older family member/friend. I'd be inclined to think that a 21 year old was more likely than me to be going out on a Saturday night ;)

There's no harm in putting up flyers, but meeting people face to face is probably more likely to get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChloeBabysit

Yes, I completely agree with you. I know most people would be asking friends and family to mind their kids, I'd do the same if I had kids.

Trust me, I'm not the type to be towning type at all, that's another reason why I want to do babysitting, it would give me something to do on a Friday/Saturday night! Otherwise I would be looking for babysitting work.....

I will definitely tell people to tell other people that I'm looking for babysitting work.

Thanks very much for the reply :-)

• Administrators Posts: 13,972 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'm not suggesting that you would/should be out every weekend! I just mean that it wouldn't even occur to me to ask a 21 year old I knew, to babysit.. because I'd feel there would be no point, because they wouldn't be interested!

Whereas if a 21 year old approached me and told me they'd be interested, I'd be delighted!!

Oh I completely understand you, I know most people my age would be out most weekends. I know where you're coming from :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would put an ad up in the college,some mature students might be interested.

You don't happen to be in NUIM?

• Advertisement

No, I'm not in NUIM, I go to college in Waterford :-)

That's a good idea, thank you, I'll do that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I would make out some business cards,put them in doors that look like they have kids-toys-small bikes outside-look for cars with car seats outside your local supermarket put it under the wiper,put matue responsible on the card ,try and get a first aid course,put that on your card

word of mouth is the best way,

put a card up in your local supermarket,put an ad in your church paper they give out sunday,go to your local playground hand out cards,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Any way you can make it to a local mum and toddler morning if you've a free morning? Lots of people there looking for babysitting. See Cuidiu for details of ones near you.

As an aside, I'd prefer a 21 year old babysitter. I babysat myself in college and it was a great way to earn a few bob. I wasn't a mad party animal and it was a good way to get a few hours study in when the kids were in bed. At 21 you've more level headedness than a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

No, I'm not in NUIM, I go to college in Waterford :-)

That's a good idea, thank you, I'll do that!

I'm in Waterford City and there are parents that would prefer an adult babysitter over a teenager. Put up notices on the college noticeboards and if you're living near the college put notices up in the local shops and supermarkets. I've seen notices in Superquinn looking for babysittters over the years.

If you're near the Dunmore Road then Ardkeen Stores, noticeboard behind the tuc shop in WRH and other local shops.

Put notices up in the libraries as I think all the libraries hold parent and baby/toddler mornings, doctors surgeries, Post Offices, churches, parent and toddler/baby groups would be good places to advertise.

Contact hotels and ask if you can leave your details for any guests that may require a babysitter.

Contact your HSE Community Centre opposite Morris's and ask for the Public Health Nurse for your area as well as putting notices up on a couple of their noticeboards in the main area and at the different clinics.

Contact the Waterford City Childcare Committee and leave your details as there are parents who need childcare outside the regular hours as there are a lot of people working shiftwork in the Industrial Estates beside the college.

If you know anyone working in the factories ask them to leave notices on the staff noticeboards.

Advertisement