Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID sensors removed from window frame

Options
  • 29-01-2014 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi,

wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

We just had the windows at the front of the house replaced yesterday.
    There is a HKC alarm in place with ID sensors on the windows.
    The installers took them off the windows and left them hanging there but now the alarm panel will not allow me to set the alarm at all. It reports there are 2 open zones
    Now I can manually disable them one by one if we are leaving the house, as it will then set the countdown timer in motion, but obviously this wont work for night time

my question, eventually, is this....do I need to get an installer out to replace the ID sensors or is it something I can do myself to reset them ?

I thought the window guys were gonna take care of all it this but it appears not :mad::mad:

many thanks

MrT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

MrTrebus wrote: »
    Hi,

wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

We just had the windows at the front of the house replaced yesterday.
    There is a HKC alarm in place with ID sensors on the windows.
    The installers took them off the windows and left them hanging there but now the alarm panel will not allow me to set the alarm at all. It reports there are 2 open zones
    Now I can manually disable them one by one if we are leaving the house, as it will then set the countdown timer in motion, but obviously this wont work for night time

my question, eventually, is this....do I need to get an installer out to replace the ID sensors or is it something I can do myself to reset them ?

I thought the window guys were gonna take care of all it this but it appears not :mad::mad:

many thanks

MrT

Hi MrT,
    That name has a familiar ring to it :D, anyway window installers are very good at removing alarm sensors from windows but not good at re installing them.
    So you have new windows, most installers know how to fish cables on PVC windows (sorry just assuming), therefore it is a neater job. I think the worst thing anyone could do to the look of a new window is to run an alarm cable across it.
    You can of course have a crack off it yourself and I will assist you here if necessary but as you have spent a few bob on new windows why not just get an installer out to do it for you. Might as well be shot for a sheep than a lamb as they say.
    In the mean time did you try and inhibit those sensors?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

how/why is that name familiar :confused::confused::confused::confused:

they just took the sensor off the window frame and left them hangin down inside the house :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

seems like to inhibit them, it must be done every time you leave the house :confused:

so I have 3 new windows with a sensor hanging down behind them stilll attached to the cables and an alarm that wont set on !

I thought there might be something I could do with the sensor that would allow me to "reset" them so they work as normal or at least permanently disable them so I can set the alarm at night and when leaving etc etc

As for paying for a installer, we thought we had everything budgeted into the cost of the windows, there no money left now :rolleyes:
    kub wrote: »
    Hi MrT,
    That name has a familiar ring to it :D, anyway window installers are very good at removing alarm sensors from windows but not good at re installing them.
    So you have new windows, most installers know how to fish cables on PVC windows (sorry just assuming), therefore it is a neater job. I think the worst thing anyone could do to the look of a new window is to run an alarm cable across it.
    You can of course have a crack off it yourself and I will assist you here if necessary but as you have spent a few bob on new windows why not just get an installer out to do it for you. Might as well be shot for a sheep than a lamb as they say.
    In the mean time did you try and inhibit those sensors?

Mr T from the A Team ;).

But on a more serious point, did your window installers actually say to you that they would organise to get them refitted?

Infairness I think they should have at least mentioned the fact that the alarm system may be affected by this.

Was there also magnets on the openings sections and did they leave them there?
    If the sensors were the conventional type then yes you could disconnect them but as they are Point ID, then if they are removed your system will notice and have a little melt down.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

ha ha ha long day ;);)

it now appears they only agreed to leave whatever was there, there !!

there were no magnets elsewheres on the frame apparently !!

so now it looks like I have no option but to get a pro in :mad::mad::mad:
    more fecking money

kub wrote: »
    Mr T from the A Team ;).

But on a more serious point, did your window installers actually say to you that they would organise to get them refitted?

Infairness I think they should have at least mentioned the fact that the alarm system may be affected by this.

Was there also magnets on the openings sections and did they leave them there?
    If the sensors were the conventional type then yes you could disconnect them but as they are Point ID, then if they are removed your system will notice and have a little melt down.

MrTrebus wrote: »
    ha ha ha long day ;);)

it now appears they only agreed to leave whatever was there, there !!

there were no magnets elsewheres on the frame apparently !!

so now it looks like I have no option but to get a pro in :mad::mad::mad:
    more fecking money

It seems to me that this is typical of window companies though, i get calls regularly from my own customers, sometimes they ring before the event so we get a chance to disconnect the sensors properly but mostly they are left in a situation just like yourself.

Apologies now that I cannot be of better assistance to you but as they are Point ID we are snookered.
    I suppose the only advice I can give you is to ring your current alarm company and get a price off them first and ask them to throw in a maintenance check over while they are there. If you think that they are expensive you can always ring around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Alarm companies aren't all crazy money call a few for a quote and sorted. You could pick up the magnets you need in a alarm or electrical store and fit yourself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

To be honest you got off lightly. Window installers & builders attitudes of late is too hell with what's there sure you can get wireless now.:eek:

Advertisement