Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAN cabling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

Cat5e cable should be twisted.
    Its Cat 5e UTP (unshielded Twisted Pair). I would say you definitely didn't get Cat 5e Cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

Mockba wrote: »
    Cat5e cable should be twisted.
    Its Cat 5e UTP (unshielded Twisted Pair). I would say you definitely didn't get Cat 5e Cable

so what colours go into what positions on the RJ45 joiner ?

does it matter so long as I maintain consistency at both ends ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If the pairs aren't twisted, then it's not Cat 5e, or Cat anything for that matter, and not suitable for network cabling at all, so you'd be wasting your time.

If you mean that there's only a single, solid conductor in each wire, then that's OK, again as long as the pairs are twisted together. In that case just treat the light coloured wire the same as the colour/white wire in the wiring diagrams you have.

Well, the site looks kosher enough, but again, are the pairs of wires, e.g. green/light green twisted together? Peel back a good length of the grey sleeving and look.

This is what it should look like ...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/i5hdd3w26mj0hl5/XX6nPeYDpz

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Well, the site looks kosher enough, but again, are the pairs of wires, e.g. green/light green twisted together? Peel back a good length of the grey sleeving and look.

This is what it should look like ...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/i5hdd3w26mj0hl5/XX6nPeYDpz

no definately not twisted together

wires are like insulated guitar strings surrounded by outer cover

it doesn't have the string going through it either that is usually in a LAN cable to assist with pulling back the cover

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Green/White would be light green equivalent etc....

aidanki wrote: »
    no definately not twisted together

wires are like insulated guitar strings surrounded by outer cover
    Definitely not network grade cable of any sort then. Send it back and ask for a refund.

I note that a couple of the recent negative feedback reports he has says the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Looks like you've been sold something other than CAT cable.

Sure the colours are irrelevant once they are matched correctly at either end but if the pairs within the outer sleeving are not twisted then you are wasting your time. While nobody wants to see a$$holes like that seller getting away with it? I would report the item as not being as described or even contact Paypal (if that's how you paid?) but with the buyer having to bare the return postage charges I would use it as bell wire or something and chalk it down to experience.

If varying lengths are all you were after? why not use somebody reliable like Kenable and save yourself a whole heap of frustration.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

It does not sound like its Cat 5e. If you are looking to make specific length patch leads then you will probably not get them manufactured to Cat 5e standard with a hand held crimp tool.

Most of the cheap Cat 5e patch leads sold online do not meet the Cat 5e performance standard.

If you are looking for leads buy from a reputable supplier in Ireland and state that you do not want unbranded leads as these will be cheap imports from the far east.

Look for factory terminated leads from a leading manufacturer. They will be more expensive but will meet the standards and work to the correct speeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement