Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft office free download

Options
  • 29-01-2014 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi I've recently bought a new laptop and want to download Microsoft office but I don't want to buy it as I won't be using it very often and all I need it for is to update my CV and type up the odd letter. Can anyone point me in the right direction when I can download the above or even better give me a link?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

martineire wrote: »
    Hi I've recently bought a new laptop and want to download Microsoft office but I don't want to buy it as I won't be using it very often and all I need it for is to update my CV and type up the odd letter. Can anyone point me in the right direction when I can download the above or even better give me a link?

Thanks

Does the same thing and is free
    http://www.libreoffice.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You should be able to get a thirty day trial, that should cover yiu for your cv. Alernatively try out open office or libre office.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Microsoft Office is not free, although alternatives like LibreOffice mentioned above are which may be suitable.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

if you are , or know a student, you can get it for 25 euro from software4students.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

martineire wrote: »

Thanks

Not for free, but if as you say all you want to do is update your CV then you can avail of a month's use for free. (Don't forget to sign off / disable before end of month to avoid post month one charges).

However, for a CV and such documents there is little reason in avoiding ongoing payment or a once off purchase cost that you wouldn't use libreoffice.

Another alternative is pick yourself up a free skydrive account - this will give you a basic (but quite functional) version of some office apps (word included). That should more than suit your needs of basic document editing.

A final alternative is a gmail/google account with access to google docs. Same as above only a google flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Doesn't the free month trial also come with a watermark across the page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

If you have a Gmail account Google Drive has a workable word processor and spreadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

How compatible are documents created in openoffice etc with microsoft office, do you have to install a file converter to open then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

danjo-xx wrote: »
    How compatible are documents created in openoffice etc with microsoft office, do you have to install a file converter to open then.

Just Save As docx.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pingpipe

Another one that's similar and free is OpenOffice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

pingpipe wrote: »
    Another one that's similar and free is OpenOffice.

The OpenOffice team quit and setup their own LibreOffice, so OpenOffice is an old version of LibreOffice, LibreOffice gets continuous support and updates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd be surprised if most people's needs for CVs weren't adequately served by Wordpad.

Advertisement