Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place for computer repairs and upgrades

Options
  • 29-01-2014 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

PC World has now been subsumed into Currys, and they no longer do computer repairs and upgrades on-site.

Does anyone know of a local business offering reliable (and preferably affordable) computer services such as hard drive repair/replacement, software upgrades etc?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The one on Dock Rd, TechStar i think it's called.

Some of the guys there used to work for PC World.

I went there for a 2nd opinion, and got it at better price than a certain well known local shop - and they founded/fixe a problem that the others missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Laptek, but depending on issue you can also learn to do it yourself with a bit of research and help from one of the tech forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

If you know anybody going out as far as loughrea (quite a distance i know) there is a guy all my workmates around galway use, can't remember his name, but it is called loughrea computers. he is unusual in that he is very honest.

My wife got a quote of 200 to fix her laptop in galway, the shop wanted her to trade it in & offered her 100euro against whatever she wanted to buy......

She brought it to that guy in loughrea & 30euro later it was perfect.

After that its the only place myself, my family & friends go to!

I won't mention the place in galway that tried to scam my wife for 200euro but amazingly they have been mentioned here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

http://www.xlcomp.com/

Ask for a quote first.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

http://www.sortit.ie/

He is very good and reasonably priced and he even collected your computer and brings it back to ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

The one on Dock Rd, TechStar

+1 for Techstar.
    I've used them a few times on a troublesome laptop and was very happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

buzz11 wrote: »
    +1 for Techstar.
    I've used them a few times on a troublesome laptop and was very happy with the service.

+2. Theres also a guy up on Prospect Hill now too, ITM Solutions its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

this must asked once a week... is there a reasonable call for a sticky explaining how to use the search on the forum?

anyhow, try pcgp.ie, found him decent in the past

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Don't have any recommendations but I recommend you stay away from <snip>. Absolute scam.

mod edit: can't very well have a random person on the internet say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

jkforde wrote: »
    this must asked once a week... is there a reasonable call for a sticky explaining how to use the search on the forum?

anyhow, try pcgp.ie, found him decent in the past

I did a quick check, but didn't find anything relevant.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=475&title=1&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Daledge wrote: »
    Don't have any recommendations but I recommend you stay away from <snip>. Absolute scam.

mod edit: can't very well have a random person on the internet say that.

Apologies, didn't realize I was breaking the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No worries, have a read of the charter (bullet #8) and PM a forum mod if anything is unclear.
    You'll find us at the bottom of the forum page.

I won't mention the place in galway that tried to scam my wife for 200euro but amazingly they have been mentioned here.

I've had a very bad experience with a one mentioned here too ... located near where the top of the water used to be. (Sez she trying to be vague yet informative!)

The lowlight was when I got my laptop home, went to turn it on and realised that they hadn't even screwed it back together right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Quicktec out in Ballybrit

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

'Megabytes' on Market street.It used to be called something else and was ran by someone else before - its the place beside Ryans Homestore. Did a great job recovering all my files (nothing backed up) when old laptop crashed last summer,and got the laptop working again.Good price and good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 starship

i used click in eyre square shopping centre just before christmas. i was very happy with the service. friendly staff and job done quickly, i be happy to go back if i ever had a problem again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    PC World has now been subsumed into Currys, and they no longer do computer repairs and upgrades on-site.

Does anyone know of a local business offering reliable (and preferably affordable) computer services such as hard drive repair/replacement, software upgrades etc?

Thanks in advance.

The fellows on Dock Road (Techstar?). Very pleasant, very professional, very obliging and very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

bobbyss wrote: »
    The fellows on Dock Road (Techstar?). Very pleasant, very professional, very obliging and very good.

.......and very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

bobbyss wrote: »

I fully agree, had a good experience with these lads too.

scart wrote: »
    .......and very expensive

I went to the for a 2nd opinion after being unhappy with the work of another well-established local operator listed here.

They found the problem, and only charged 70% of what the first guys did.

YMMV.

(That said, when I eventually needed a buy a new laptop, Amazon + Parcel Motel won out ...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

YMMV . ..??

Am I missing something :confused:

Westy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

westgolf wrote: »
    YMMV . ..??

Westy

Your mileage may vary

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

westgolf wrote: »
    YMMV . ..??

Westy

Yer man mighty Vinnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Would avoid going to woodquay anyways. Place there "repaired" my old laptop, less than a month later same problem reared its head, charged me a "discounted " 70 euro fee to fix the same problem because "i was a regular" I wouldn't be if they did it righ the first time ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

galway laptop surgery - I used these guys just before xmas to fix a laptop. very happy with price and service

Advertisement