Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Gmail on my Mac with 2 different accounts query

Options
  • 29-01-2014 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Firstly I hoping I have this in the correct place, if not could the moderators please move it to the right place.

So I bought my first iMac just under a year ago and I set up mine and my wife's Gmail account in the Mail program on the Mac and all was going well. Then after a while I discovered that I started to miss replies to mails I had sent out from my account. I discovered that when I sent an email from my account and the receiver replied to it. The reply was been sent into my wife's account instead. Now I'm not sure if the mail is showing up in the receivers inbox as been sent from me or my wife.

I double checked that I had everything set up correctly and that I was sending my mail from my account. I even went as far as completely deleted my wives account from the mac but we are still seeing the same thing happen. I'm not sure if this is a Mac or Gmail thing. I can't see anything oblivious when I look at my gmail account settings and the problem only started when I began using the Mac.

Any advise would be great, thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

It's a problem with the outgoing mail server I think. It has happened me in the past where I tried to send the email on one account but there was a server problem so it switched it to another outgoing server. The email then sent from that email address.

If you google something like "mac mail gmail outgoing mail server" you should find a solution.

I think I had to delete all my accounts and set them up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Do you and your wife have separate computer accounts on the iMac ? If you've configured Mail with both of ye're accounts on the one login to the computer then you will have issues like this. When you write an email in Mail you get the option to select which account will be used to send it, if the two accounts are there then it may be sent with the wrong one.

Always a better idea to create separate computer user accounts in the case of a shared computer. Here's why !

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭BIRDCAGE1

Thanks for the replies guys.
    @zener yeah I had mail configured with both our gmail accounts so deleted my wifes account thinking it would fix the issue. . . . . but it didn't.
    @jamc - I got some good hits on your search suggestion. I think I'll go with the deleting my account and starting over again. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It might be worth your time checking in Applications\Utilities\Keychain Access for remnants of the other account - passwords, certificates etc.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭BIRDCAGE1

I'll check it out as soon s I get in from work this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

With multiple Gmail accounts in the same email app, you need to enter a copy of the Gmail SMTP server for each separate account, using that account's username and password (and with the "Use only this server" boxes ticked), otherwise an email sent from account 1, but using the SMTP entry for account 2, the email will appear to the recipient to have been sent from account 2.

Advertisement