Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suit jackets with wide lapels

• 29-01-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭

This is a very specific question, so not expecting a huge result: I'm looking to get a suit with wide lapels on the jacket, something like this:

L9995461.jpg

And this:

GB-Wide-Peak-Chalk.jpg

I know I can get them online at places like Suit Supply, but I would really like to try before I buy, so does anywhere know any shop in Ireland that does them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

You'll see a lot more of these coming into high street suit stores in the coming year- the 1920's- 1940's tailoring has been huge in the shows the last month.

As for now, your best bet is probably somewhere that has a wide range of higher end brands- somewhere like Louis Copeland, etc.

An obvius route to take would be scouring the vintage stores around Dublin and other cities, you'd be surprised how much they'll carry, but it's all about getting lucky with your size in those places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

An obvius route to take would be scouring the vintage stores around Dublin and other cities, you'd be surprised how much they'll carry, but it's all about getting lucky with your size in those places.

That's the problem - I'd love if there were stores that had a range of vintage ties and suits, but I don't know where they are. Unless you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

The Harlequin in Dublin always seems to have a selection of men's blazers. I've never had a look at their stuff though so don't know what they would have. You could always ask on their fb page and see if they have any in stock or if they would have any ideas of where might have one.

I've never had much luck in those vintage stores - they never have stuff large enough (I'm 6'5") nor do they have anything I'm looking for!

TBH I'd rather buy something new. However my budget doesn't really extend to Louis Copeland prices right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've never had much luck in those vintage stores - they never have stuff large enough (I'm 6'5") nor do they have anything I'm looking for!

TBH I'd rather buy something new. However my budget doesn't really extend to Louis Copeland prices right now.

Yeah, at 6'5" I can see you having lots of problems alright! I can't really think of anywhere that might have them- like I said you'll see them coming in more and more in the coming months as stuff filters through from the shows.

At 6'5" you'll cut an impressive figure in a wide lapel suit- it's not for the faint hearted!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

I totally get you, I never get anything in those shops either. I just assumed you were looking to try some on one first before buying so thought they might be a lucky shot! Found some (I think) on asos, and their return policy is reasonable.
    Best of luck with your search :) that style suit reminds me of Harvey Specter from 'Suits'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Have a look at double breasted jackets. They tend to have a peaked lapel rather than a notch on lapel which gives the illusion of a broader lapel.
    Other that that you options are limited until manufactures get tired of using minimal amounts of material in their designs.

Keep checking the second hand outlets or bite the bullet and order online.

I've had 5 or 6 sits made up for me and only ever been disappointed by one of them. I found a couple of online tailors that would make suits to my design but before ordering something expensive I will order the cheapest jacket they have on offer in my size to see how it fits. It's not the perfect solution but as I said above it works for me most of the time.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

For your height you will not look well in RTW or vintage clothing. To get the cut and proportioning that will suit your figure you'll have to get something made for yourself. What is your budget?

OldGoat wrote: »
    Keep checking the second hand outlets or bite the bullet and order online.

I'm considering ordering something from Suit Supply. Great feedback about them. would be a risk with the fit but they do describe their fits very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I'm considering ordering something from Suit Supply. Great feedback about them. would be a risk with the fit but they do describe their fits very well.

Aye well, they show up as E299 and remember to allow for VAT and duty. If you want pointers on how to go bespoke and save a few pound let me know. If you supply cloth yourself you can save a good deal by buying stuff through jobbers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement