If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BI-wire and 7.1 recievers

Options
  • 29-01-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi Lads

After what seems like months of researching, I have finally narrowed down a choice of recievers to either a Denon AVR-X2000 or Yamaha RXV675, which will either have the yamaha NSP400 or HTS101 surround speaker set up dependant on the female fund holder loosing the card for a while :)

My question is that if I add a set of floor standers at a later date will I still be able to bi wire the floor standers and maintain the 7.1 set up of the reciever or does it make it a 5.1 system by doing this option. I see the yamaha has a zone 2 set of terminals with F presence on them, can these be used for either bi wire or the extra pair of speakers to maintain 7.1 at all and does the denon have this capability 

I will primarily be using it for music and TV with an occasional blu ray watch when I can get to the store to buy one as I see on .com site that you dont deliver the budget priced 3d/blu ray players

Any help appreciated

Warren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Warren,

The Yamaha has a second zone option which can only be used as second zone so you would have to use the 7.1 terminals to use for biwiring. You can bi-wire using the second zone terminals if you wish as long as the second zone is always playing the same content but the amplifier will not recognise the second pair as a bi-wired pair.

The Denon does not have this option at all. The Denon can only be run as a 5.1 if you want to bi-wire.

I would have to say that Yamaha are not great at making speakers, so I would not recommend the NSP400. 

The HTS101 is a good package although not brilliant for music.

How much are you likely to use the system for music ?

Many thanks

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply and the answer was as I suspected.

The surround sound 7.1 or 5.1 is not the be all & end all for the system but I do want to be able to have my cake and eat it, in respect of music and surround through 1 amp, even though I really should look at 2 dedicated amps/systems Funds are a major factor unfortunately so at this time
    Music will be on at a guess 60% with TV/Blu-ray the rest of the time.

I think I would be relatively happy with a 2.0 system initially and then expand it later with a pair of stand mounts for surround, and poss a sub & centre dependant on how the system performs.

How do the the Tannoy V4 compare against the V4i in your honest opinion, as I see what hi-fi gave the v4i only 4 stars and v4 got 5 stars the year before. Are the V4i worth the extra money they cost ?

Is there any comparrison between the Tannoy's and the q accoustic 2050i's or is it like trying to compare the taste of chalk & cheese

thanks in anticipation

Warren

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

wozza wrote: »
    Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply and the answer was as I suspected.

The surround sound 7.1 or 5.1 is not the be all & end all for the system but I do want to be able to have my cake and eat it, in respect of music and surround through 1 amp, even though I really should look at 2 dedicated amps/systems Funds are a major factor unfortunately so at this time
    Music will be on at a guess 60% with TV/Blu-ray the rest of the time.

I think I would be relatively happy with a 2.0 system initially and then expand it later with a pair of stand mounts for surround, and poss a sub & centre dependant on how the system performs.

How do the the Tannoy V4 compare against the V4i in your honest opinion, as I see what hi-fi gave the v4i only 4 stars and v4 got 5 stars the year before. Are the V4i worth the extra money they cost ?

Is there any comparrison between the Tannoy's and the q accoustic 2050i's or is it like trying to compare the taste of chalk & cheese

thanks in anticipation

Warren
    Hi Warren,

Thanks for getting back to us, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

In my opinion the Tannoy and Q Acoustics are on a different level.  The Tannoy's aren't a bad speaker at all, I do much prefer the Q Acoustics tho.  Much nice controlled and detailed sound.  Good low end too so would be perfect for a 2.0 system.

I've only heard the V4is briefly during a demo and they did sound good.  I found the V4s a bit boomy at times.  But again maybe not a bad thing if you're going to use them for cinema too.

If you didn't mind spending the extra few quid the 2050s are the way to go.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.