Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    They replied.

PR speak for:

at this time no decisions have been made about the future use of LifePaint is expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

check_six wrote: »
    I'm curious to see what will be the next step in removing responsibility from motorists. After all cyclists of all ages and levels of experience are required to have a full body hi-vis tattoo and a fog horn attached to them, I suppose the next step will be to blame humans outside of cars for being too damn squishy.

A lot of cyclists are too damn thin to see, even if covered in hi-viz.

Solution:

tumblr_ltklf77iwF1qdw1kro1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

tomasrojo wrote: »
    As bikesnobnyc puts it, just lease a Hyundai.

(He's on fire lately. His take on Life Paint: "Hopefully this backfires on Volvo and the streets of London get covered with glow-in-the-dark penises.")

Like bikesnobnyc I was also struck by the same comment in the Life Spray promotional video:
    Wow. So it's not enough to be visible anymore. Now we've got to "scream out" and glow from head to toe or else we're fair game.

I assume when she says "drivers like me" she means "oblivious idiots."

Amazing how drivers keep outsourcing any and all responsibility.

The alternative uses for Life Spray could be endless.

The interweb is full of serving suggestions:

http://www.ottawa-psychologist.net/love-and-revenge/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Looks awful

I would not be spraying it all over my nice road bike.

But for the kids bike or my commuter hack, its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

There was a mention of this in the off topic thread. I was going to open a thread about it myself the other day. I like it to be honest but worried about the hordes of drivers complaining about people not wearing it now. Very limited availability at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It just smacks of passing the buck, let's put the onus on cyclists instead of addressing the problem

Borderfox wrote: »
    It just smacks of passing the buck, let's put the onus on cyclists instead of addressing the problem

My Onus is not haveing some jerk in a subaru, spread my innards all over the road.

Anything that distracts him from talking on his phone or rolling a fag when driving is a big plus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Borderfox wrote: »

I agree to an extent, but I'd rather be realistic than potentially knocked down but in the right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

My Onus is not haveing some jerk in a subaru, spread my innards all over the road.

Anything that distracts him from talking on his phone or rolling a fag when driving is a big plus...

That's why I have lights on my bike and fluoro cycling gear, in my 20's while out training I was knocked down by a guy who went through a red light and didn't see me in flouro gear and lights during the day. No paint would have changed that but my pushing for him to be charged despite the Gardai objections saved someone else.

Educating people in cars is the key

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's been discussed a bit on the hi-viz thread. I read something about the spray-on version today that suggested that the paint needs re-application every week or so, and washes off in the rain anyway. The rights and wrongs of it as hi-viz are explored a bit in that other thread.

Here's an unfortunate quote about Life Paint:
    Nikki Rooke, Head of Corporate Communications, Events and Sponsorship for Volvo Car UK Limited, said: "It’s about making the invisible, visible."
    http://road.cc/content/news/147529-volvo-life-paint-comes-under-fire-while-freebies-fly-shelves

Invisible. I see. No, wait, without Life Paint I can't.

Followed by that great favourite of those trying to circumvent cost-benefit analysis:
    "If Life Paint saves the life of just one cyclist it will have proved beneficial."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Merged into hi-viz thread

This sort of belongs on both the Helmet and the Hi Viz megathreads, so I'll post twice, if that's ok.
    In a victory for bicycle advocates, a state senator has dropped a proposal that would have made California the first state in the country to require every adult who rides a bicycle to wear a helmet.
    The amended bill also removes a requirement that would have required bicyclists to wear “retroreflective high-visibility safety apparel” at night.
    http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/04/10/state-senator-drops-mandatory-helmet-proposal-for-bicyclists

Litter pickers on roads in Kerry and Cork are regularly in danger from speeding motorists, "despite wearing high visibility jackets."

Are hi-vis vests somehow less effective in Kerry and Cork? I wonder what is the casual mechanism for that?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Litter pickers on roads in Kerry and Cork are regularly in danger from speeding motorists, "despite wearing high visibility jackets."

Are hi-vis vests somehow less effective in Kerry and Cork? I wonder what is the casual mechanism for that?

Because they are closer to the equator in Cork the light is reflected up and not horizontally. If Kerry GAA are to be believed, it is something to do with being closer to God in their eyes, despite evidence to the contrary.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Or Cork motorists versus Kerry hi-vis wearers?

And vicky verky of course... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

RainyDay wrote: »

Some with no helmets on :eek: and on the footpath :eek::eek:

RainyDay wrote: »

Weddings and all...

4867378.jpg

will-i-am-beats-by-dre-scream-and-shout.jpg

Gardaí from Pearse St were at the Stephens Green Luas stop yesterday "handing out safety info and jackets".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Gardaí from Pearse St were at the Stephens Green Luas stop yesterday "handing out safety info and jackets".

There's a new mandatory cycle lane just up from that - it's frequented by cars and motorbikes and I've seen a few near misses over the past weeks. It continues around the green opposite a school where it's jammed with cars sometimes 3 deep depending on whether the school is starting or finishing. They'd be better implementing their safety initiative there Imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Spotted a load of people on Stephen's Green gearing up for a Bloomsday bike spin. I'm guessing they were Bloomsday people as they were all wearing straw boater type hats.

I'm not sure that the hi-vis jackets that were all over them is strictly Joycean canon though. :(

check_six wrote: »
    Spotted a load of people on Stephen's Green gearing up for a Bloomsday bike spin. I'm guessing they were Bloomsday people as they were all wearing straw boater type hats.

I'm not sure that the hi-vis jackets that were all over them is strictly Joycean canon though. :(

If you don't notice a large group of cyclists in town wearing straw hats, then your not going to notice a large group of cyclists wearing Hi Vis.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

CramCycle wrote: »
    If you don't notice a large group of cyclists in town wearing straw hats, then your not going to notice a large group of cyclists wearing Hi Vis.

"Did you see all those cyclists with the hi-vis vests at lunch earlier?"

"No, what ones?"

"ah ye did, sure weren't they wearin' straw hats?"

"Oh them, .... the eejits"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I remember when hi viz was being made mandatory on construction sites...made sense, big machines working close to other workers. Since then everyone begging for money, handing out leaflets, selling papers etc is wearing a hi viz vest. Went for a spin the other evening and passed 2 people mowing lawns with hi viz
    They now have absolutely no impact because they're everywhere. Then VMS signs were required to notify people of roadworks. Now they are used to advertise furniture sales, plant hire, garden centres etc.

Advertisement