Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

gctest50 wrote: »
    You'd want to off your game to employ him if he lets go of brakes like that
    Are you seriously questioning his employability because he's been the victim of a hit and run?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

HiViz with reflective stripes :

mORfK1h.jpg

Here another photo...

bikeorbike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Here another photo...

bikeorbike.jpg

These kinds of photos drive me mental when the RSA throws them up in support of Hi-Vis. The biggest difference between the two is the stonking great light on the front of one of the bikes. But they'll still say "look at how much more visible you are in a builders vest!" and ignore the light, probably because it would show up how rubbish the RSA free lights are. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If they took the photograph an hour later, the bike's light would dominate the picture completely (no more fluorescing).

It's like being gaslit by the RSA: "No, this thing worth 50c coupled with a €1 light is much better than your €80 light set-up".

These kinds of photos drive me mental when the RSA throws them up in support of Hi-Vis. The biggest difference between the two is the stonking great light on the front of one of the bikes. But they'll still say "look at how much more visible you are in a builders vest!" and ignore the light, probably because it would show up how rubbish the RSA free lights are. :mad:

I agree! (that was my point)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I agree! (that was my point)

Yeah, I kinda figured that - was why I referenced the RSA as the target of my ire rather than your good self. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Their whole mentality on this drives me mental. I have clothing like this, oh no would say the RSA, are you mental to go running down a dark country lane wearing this without your vest?
    night-running-gear-main.jpg?itok=1xvt6mDl

A car is not going to see you..... oh
    5f576bd674e11befbb7716b36131fcfe--nike-jacket-nike-jordan.jpg

If they do bring in such a law, and they mandated the type of vest they currently advocate, serious questions would have to be asked of them if they want you to put a vest over the better dark clothing pictured above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Ive been using one of these on club night spins for a few years now. Enough hi-vis to be effective at dusk and a lot of reflective stuff to be seen cycling from a distance away once it's dark. Totally FTW for low light and night cycling - in addition to proper lights (for which there is no substitute).
    flexi-viz-front-lores.jpg

flexifit_mens_dark_squared.jpg

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Ive been using one of these on club night spins for a few years now. Enough hi-vis to be effective at dusk and a lot of reflective stuff to be seen cycling from a distance away once it's dark. Totally FTW for low light and night cycling - in addition to proper lights (for which there is no substitute).

Like you I also use lights.
    Ive an older version of this jacket. it has "Reflective elements" which are most of the white bits in the photo.
    (it also has a handy pocket for an MP3 player and headphones, but thats a whole different discussion!)

https://www.bicycle-line.com/eng/giubbino-nordica.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭ted1

tomasrojo wrote: »
    If they took the photograph an hour later, the bike's light would dominate the picture completely (no more fluorescing).

It's like being gaslit by the RSA: "No, this thing worth 50c coupled with a €1 light is much better than your €80 light set-up".

We are all in bright fluorescent tops here , but can you spot me
    430386.jpeg

• Advertisement

There may be people not wearing high-visibility clothing in that picture, but we have no way of knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ted1 wrote: »
    We are all in bright fluorescent tops here , but can you spot me
    Worst Where's Wally ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

You'd want to off your game to employ him if he lets go of brakes like that .

Would be interested in hearing your motivation for this question and the posting (now deleted) of a link to a personal website?

He doesn't need me to defend him, but for the record the person you refer to posts here regularly using his own name. I happen to know him professionally and he is very very good at his job - not that it's relevant to this thread in any way.

Otherwise what Buffalo said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

7 abreast! maniacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

7 abreast! maniacs.

When I was sitting in my car looking at the photo I could have sworn at least 14 abreast. Now I’m out of my car it looks way less.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: I deleted the links to the work website (without knowing, nor do I know who the poster is) as its personal information and highly irrelevant to the thread, so I think we should leave it there. You can still discuss the video but there is no to be no attempt to identify the poster or link to anything bar the youtube video as that is all that is relevant.

When I was sitting in my car looking at the photo I could have sworn at least 14 abreast. Now I’m out of my car it looks way less.

It's still looks like more than two abreast.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well not only that, but does it mean that at every Dublin bike stand should the council have to install a high-vis vest dispensing machine so everyone who just wants to use the bike to get from the office to the train station can "be seen"

Here's one from Sydney I saw last week:
    yKmum8rl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Here's one from Sydney I saw last week:
    yKmum8rl.jpg

That is a depressing sight on a Friday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I'd love to place that vending machine out in the middle of the road and wait for the first clown to crash into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Saw two dark coloured cars crash into each other on the NCR this evening.

And a near miss with a bright red jeep turning across the path of a line of dark cars.

Should someone inform the minister?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Saw two dark coloured cars crash into each other on the NCR this evening.
    you'll never be a journalist.
    'two dark coloured cars were involved in a collision'.

was it a rear-ender?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

you'll never be a journalist.

Why thank you.

Dark blue and scruffy Mondeo pulled out about a quarter of an inch in front of a royal blue Taxi. Wing and A post were gonners.

i've begun to realise recently why (i think it's Cramcycle?) hates DRLs so much. have seen several instances in the last week where people have been driving at night with them, no lights on at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

i've begun to realise recently why (i think it's Cramcycle?) hates DRLs so much. have seen several instances in the last week where people have been driving at night with them, no lights on at the back.
    Haven't had the pleasure this year yet, but there was on average one of these each day on my winter commutes last year, all newish cards 14, 15, 16 regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Not just him, my own posts on this thread alone have definitely bemoaned them already!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Does anyone know where it is possible to get an inexpensive hi-viz backpack cover? I find carrying around a vest to be a bit of a nuisance tbh, and ideally it would be a cover that doesn't have a huge RSA logo sticking out like a sore thumb

Mountain Warehouse and SportsDirect have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Came home this evening from central dublin to west dublin. Lots of cars with DLRs in the dark. I pointed this out to a few drivers previously. Just get a blank stare “ah yeah sorry”, then drive off.

Tapped on a young ladies window about this time last year on the quays - 7pm and no lights on what so ever. “Ah yeah I just got the car and don’t know how to use the lights”, she giggled, then drive off on her merry way.

Advertisement