Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I think the problem with newer cars is the dash lights up as soon as ignition is on and some people (dumb ones) think that means lights are on. Team this up with drl's and you have an idiot trap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was recently on holidays in spain, was driving a golf; the irritating thing about the lights was that from what i can see, they ran in auto mode when on dips, but full beams was manual.
    what made it irritating was there was no indication on the dash to let me know what they were doing when i selected dip; i had the usual blue headlight symbol on the dash when i had full beams, but no feedback about the status of the lights otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I see from this article that Churchill were the insurers.
    Scumbag behaviour from them.
    How long before an Irish insurer tries this on?

Anyone watching crimecall??? Piece on hi vis and lights on it there, some lucky lad is the proud owner of a lovely new rsa high vis vest ann a lady got her self a warning a free front light :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Crimecall piece now. “Just wear hi vis and some lights, only costs a few euros”. So cheap hi vis and cheap lights is the answer folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They did spend a bit of time at least talking about car lights and showing them pulling over taxis for broken front lights. But when they moved on to cyclists and pedestrians, it's like they treat lights and hi-vis as interchangable items, one or the other, sure ye'll be grand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If I get particularly bored this week, I might send a letter into the broadcast authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Saw this via a tweet http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1541931213601954?platform=hootsuite&

Just waiting for this to be trotted out by Shane Ross and his minions as the high viz solution for cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have started replacing jerseys, shorts and socks with flouro yellow/green items in the last year or so. It may not be of any real benefit but I'd rather up my chances of been seen than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

A flashing light would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

mp31 wrote: »
    Saw this via a tweet http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1541931213601954?platform=hootsuite&

Just waiting for this to be trotted out by Shane Ross and his minions as the high viz solution for cyclists

Will be interesting to see if the full paper will be published as it is only the abstract from a conference proceeding that has been published at the moment

Also worth emphasising that bibs refer to bibtights or leggings (less there be any confusion) as no improvement was noted when a "fluorescent" jersey and black leggings was compared with a black jersey and black leggings
    Post-hoc pairwise comparisons (Bonferroni) revealed that that a fluorescent yellow jersey did not significantly improve the cyclist’s conspicuity relative to a black jersey. However when the cyclist paired the fluorescent jersey with fluorescent yellow leggings, participants responded from a distance 3.3x farther than an identical outfit with black leggings

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

That's a load of rubbish, if motorists were to pay more attention and actually look out for other road users we would all be fine cycling but there are too many idiots in a hurry/on their phones/shouting at kids in the back seat to give a damn about us.
    There is no substitute for decent lights and motorists paying attention

Here is an interesting idea the RSA should look at, it would bring much needed awareness to the problem of close passing vehicles

andrew_02.jpg

http://www.bikealive.co.nz/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Couldnt believe the respect Spanish drivers were giving me when doing some cycling over at l'Vuelta. Cars were literally on the other side of the road passing me, closest anyone came was about 1.5/2m away! Seems they take it much more seriously over there with plenty of 1.5m passing signs around the place. They need to get that in here pronto and make it an offence to pass within that distance, id an Aircoach pass me so close i could feel it last night! Was hoping id catch him, stop in front of him and get a pic of the driver to send onto them but never got to the prat. He almost managed to test if my See Sense crash app was working

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

longshanks wrote: »
    A flashing light would be better.

I’d have both

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Bambaata wrote:
    Couldnt believe the respect Spanish drivers were giving me when doing some cycling over at l'Vuelta. Cars were literally on the other side of the road passing me, closest anyone came was about 1.5/2m away! Seems they take it much more seriously over there with plenty of 1.5m passing signs around the place.

I used to say the same about cycling in Mallorca until this year. I'll blame it on high season brit/irish tourists in rentals, as usually when I go in low season passing distances are respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

mamax wrote: »

The complete over reliance on hi-vis clothing is worrying. The Gardai should be enforcing the existing laws for lights on bikes. These have been in existence for over 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The complete over reliance on hi-vis clothing is worrying. The Gardai should be enforcing the existing laws for lights on bikes. These have been in existence for over 50 years.
    I actually read the RSA press release, just to see the primary source. Lights for cyclists not mentioned until the 6th Paragraph! And even then, by the guard (as well as continuing the hi viz mantra(. No quote at all from anyone from the RSA about lights.

The only credit I can give them at all is mentioning torches for pedestrians (as lost in the hi viz haze as cyclist lights), and Browne Belts mentioned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

will need to bookmark that.
    i expect shane ross will now announce they are looking into the idea of making fluorescent trousers mandatory for cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mamax wrote: »
    “The evenings are getting darker and particularly so as the clocks going back this weekend,” said Minister for Transport Shane Ross RD (Ind).

“So it is vital that pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists are clearly visible to drivers, especially on dark unlit rural roads.

Typical. Not that motorists should be more aware of their surroundings and drive to meet the conditions, nope, cyclists and pedestrians, the onus is on you.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Typical. Not that motorists should be more aware of their surroundings and drive to meet the conditions, nope, cyclists and pedestrians, the onus is on you.

It would be nice to see a statement like "can motorists make sure they have both headlights working, as functioning dipped headlights are vital in illuminating the left hand verge where pedestrians may be walking. Also be mindful of pedestrians on narrow country roads, particularly at sharp bends. Please slow down and expect the unexpected on these dark evenings".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

It's worth reading the abstract, because it's not saying that hi-viz vests are the answer - rather that high-viz leggings are. It's the motion of the lower legs together with the hi-viz material. Makes sense to me. I'd like to see exactly what they used in the test, but I doubt it was fluourescent trousers either. I think hi-viz leg warmers (if they exist) or even just elasticated strips might do it.

.. and just to add, I still don't think they should be mandatory. Test conditions don't necessarily reflect reality etc etc, but I think I'd be interested in trying something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It would be nice to see a statement like "can motorists make sure they have both headlights working, as functioning dipped headlights are vital in illuminating the left hand verge where pedestrians may be walking. Also be mindful of pedestrians on narrow country roads, particularly at sharp bends. Please slow down and expect the unexpected on these dark evenings".

The problem I have with the mentality of the RSA, Ross and now the gardai is that some motorists, and we've all experienced it, will have the attitude that you shouldn't be on the road without such a vest and do a punishment pass/horn blare/shout abuse, because, for want of a better word, they've been enabled to do so by those they see as authority figures on this.

plodder wrote: »
    I think hi-viz leg warmers (if they exist) or even just elasticated strips might do it.
    i bought a pair or two in aldi about a year ago, never used them cos they're kinda uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

plodder wrote: »
    It's worth reading the abstract, because it's not saying that hi-viz vests are the answer - rather that high-viz leggings are. It's the motion of the lower legs together with the hi-viz material. Makes sense to me. I'd like to see exactly what they used in the test, but I doubt it was fluourescent trousers either. I think hi-viz leg warmers (if they exist) or even just elasticated strips might do it.
    Many who are anti builders vests have said this many times before that the best place for reflective material is the ankles! The torso is the least effective.

Ankle/ Arm bands are available periodically in Aldi and Lidl - 4 for a fiver, also have 4 blinking LEDs. You can pick up alternative options in most sports stores.

There was always logic in when they had the reflectors in the pedals!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Fluorescent yellow bibs help improve your daytime visibility to drivers...?

I'm planning to fit a high-power light to my bibshorts so that I'll know that the sun shines out of my ar....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

i expect shane ross will now announce they are looking into the idea of making fluorescent trousers mandatory for cyclists.

Like these?

REV_20130615_AFE_002_27927522_I1.JPG

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'm planning to fit a high-power light to my bibshorts so that I'll know that the sun shines out of my ar....

You need one of these (or a pair, as it would seem.....) :pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Z6Y0YNQGg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Surprised no mention of the EY Entreprenur of the Year 2017 in this thread.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1027/915597-entrepreneur-of-the-year-award/

RSA is one of the top Irish Customers that they have. Helps I guess that they are both located in Mayo.

Advertisement