Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Be interesting to see the results using a child seat and a doll , surely someones already done a test like that? I'm no genius :o
    Anecdotally, most people give me a far higher wider berth and are more considered in their overtake. This said, on occasion I do get a closer pass than normal, but it is hard to tell is this a true punishment pass or am I more sensitised to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Be interesting to see the results using a child seat and a doll , surely someones already done a test like that? I'm no genius :o

I was certain there would be a study... Then found this...

https://youtu.be/BVnSnnV582s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

A mate of mine is halfway there :pac:

22491769_10214313042039860_8386357273855250000_n.jpg?oh=1afe9d6a6bd87fadb80e2cdeb16d8e20&oe=5A6F767E

FB_IMG_1509394523372.jpg

Might ask the RSA to update their design for this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Grassey wrote: »
    Might ask the RSA to update their design for this winter.

Won't drivers have to veer towards you to read it clearly though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Taken from cool gifs thread - Definitive proof that high vis will not stop a close pass :o

2263432-212.gif?w=494

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Consistent with earlier research, estimates of response distance were, on the average, over three times greater than actual recognition distance. The extent to which participants overestimated conspicuity was greater when the pedestrian wore a retroreflective vest, and participants incorrectly judged that headlight glare would not degrade drivers' ability to see a pedestrian wearing a retroreflective vest.
    These results confirm that road users' understanding of issues involving drivers' night vision is limited. These misunderstandings may result in road users behaving in ways that increase the risk of nighttime collisions with pedestrians.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25933995

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

gctest50 wrote: »
    surely if he kept braking he'd stop a bit quicker ?

Clearly, gctest50 you haven’t a clue about the rules of the road and how you use a roundabout.

To clarify, I didn’t need to break; I have the right of way, if you disagree, that further shows our ignorance. The courts ruled in my favour.

gctest50 wrote: »

You'd want to off your game to employ him if he lets go of brakes like that.

Indeed, I am gainfully employed.

buffalo wrote: »
    Perhaps you rushed off too quickly to actually pay attention to the video, as he points out he was wearing this:

Yes, the short sleeve version.

Are you seriously questioning his employability because he's been the victim of a hit and run?

Looks like, gctest50 is indeed!

The real issue is not about hi-vis, the real issue is shifting the onus of blame in an accident. If Minister Ross managed to get his proposal into legislation, it would mean no matter the cause of an accident or death; the liability would then be on the cyclist if they were not wearing hi-vis… regardless of the motorist’s action. His proposals were shot down by the RSA. I'm told Ross is an ardent anti-cyclist.

It’s not about hi-vis, it's about paying attention to the road - both those videos show inattention form motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anecdotally, most people give me a far higher wider berth and are more considered in their overtake.
    I find motorists see me and give me much more space, whilst I'm wearing exactly the same gear as if I'm solo, when I'm out with my children. I'm more visible with them - children are obviously hi-viz!

I haven't noticed any difference in how I'm treated or how much space I'm given when I'm on my own for what I am wearing. The club gillet is "hiviz" yellow - I've had as many close and punishment passes in that as I've had in standard kit, both solo and when in a group when 6 out of 8 were in the gillet! Actually sometimes feels like they line you up better in the hi viz rather than give any more room or respect.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Wearing a hiz viz item is sensible in urban areas-

That's your opinion. On my cycle home in the evenings I see plenty of cyclists with a builder vest on, and no lights.. They are not very visible from a distance. Conversely I see cyclists with decent lights and no high vis and they are visible from hundreds of meters away. Egro highvis is pointless in an urban environment at night.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I find motorists see me and give me much more space, whilst I'm wearing exactly the same gear as if I'm solo, when I'm out with my children. I'm more visible with them - children are obviously hi-viz!

100%, child seat on the back gets me much more distance and waiting behind on blind corners or coming upto the top of a hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

CramCycle wrote: »
    100%, child seat on the back gets me much more distance and waiting behind on blind corners or coming upto the top of a hill.
    Are you using the child as some form of periscope?

Are you using the child as some form of periscope?

A good idea, he could stand on my shoulders. But no, I meant to say that other traffic gives a wider berth when overtaking and appears less likely to overtake in situations, that they shouldn't anyway but typically they would and I would have to brace to pull in or slowdown just in case.

I find I get plenty of room with the child trailer, even though it's obvious there are no kids in it.

Mind you ...

422058.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I always was of the opinion that high-vis essentially costs nothing so you might as well wear one but now that I'm cycling home in the dark and I see other cyclists close up on the roads... they really aren't that effective. Vests and jackets and stuff are actually much more effective during the day I find. I still have some high-vis stuff on, an ankle strap and I put a vest over my pannier bag but lights are the way to go, without a doubt. My bike has in-built front and rear lights but I'm going to buy another one for the back that flashes.

I still think it's sensible to have some sort of high-vis elements on you when cycling. Even if it makes you 1% more visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

That's your opinion. On my cycle home in the evenings I see plenty of cyclists with a builder vest on, and no lights.. They are not very visible from a distance. Conversely I see cyclists with decent lights and no high vis and they are visible from hundreds of meters away. Egro highvis is pointless in an urban environment at night.

Not going to disappear down a rabbit hole of pointless debate. Ive already had my post deleted for making my thoughts known.

Do what you like. I'll trust my instinct and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,032 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Do what you like. I'll trust my instinct and experience.

Do you expect others to trust your instinct and experience too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Im😂 driving a lot more than cycling these days.
    Interesting the amount of people who have hi Viz and either no lights of weak ones. Not to mention those who have bright lights turned on but half hidden by something else.
    Hi viz is useful but lights are essential.
    I cycle with a hi Viz cycle jacket and lights.
    It's a case of anything to make the cyclist more visible.

Of course there are the idiots who wear black, have no hi Viz and no lights and expect to be seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I haven't seen one person on this thread suggesting hi vis is to be used instead of lights.

Yet I see a number of posters bringing it up as an argument. Its getting old at this stage.

pablo128 wrote:
    Yet I see a number of posters bringing it up as an argument. Its getting old at this stage.

About as old as 'it's common sense to wear high vis therfore it should be made mandatory by legislation immediately... If it saves just one life' argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

About as old as 'it's common sense to wear high vis therfore it should be made mandatory by legislation immediately... If it saves just one life' argument.

There you go again. I haven't seen one person on this thread suggest that.

There are definitely people who use hiviz instead of lights. It's cheaper (often free), and requires no maintenance or charging. And, in particular, if you wear it, the Gardaí are unlikely to bother you for not having lights.

In fact:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105066582#post105066582

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There are definitely people who use hiviz instead of lights. It's cheaper (often free), and requires no maintenance or charging. And, in particular, if you wear it, the Gardare unlikely to bother you for not having lights.

In fact:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105066582#post105066582

And hence it becomes "unofficial" law, the AGS are running a PR campaign with the RSA and their Mayo friends, and before long, if it has not already happened, gardai will ignore cyclists with no lights if they have Hi Vis and courts will let cyclists with Hi vis and no lights off the hook, versus a cyclists with better than decent lights will get put against the wall and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Can't stand seeing this stuff: http://www.mayonews.ie/news/31112-mulroy-calls-for-fines-for-pedestrians-not-wearing-hi-vis

The worst is all the people on his Facebook page telling him what a great idea it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

12 element wrote: »
    Can't stand seeing this stuff: http://www.mayonews.ie/news/31112-mulroy-calls-for-fines-for-pedestrians-not-wearing-hi-vis

The worst is all the people on his Facebook page telling him what a great idea it is!

We've followed the UK's lead in the infiltration of hi-vis to every walk of life, to the extent it's becoming more and more ridiculous. I have to wear a hi-vis vest as a GAA coach to make me stand out - despite my team consisting of 11 year old boys, me wearing the club colours and being over 6 foot in height. But hey, it's the rule so i just go with the flow.:rolleyes:

Ireland (and the UK) are car dominated and car centric countries. We facilitate the private car over almost all other forms of transport.

It's all about deflecting any possible blame from the motorist, a defense of "sure he had no hi-vis, I just ran into him" will soon become acceptable. Takes all responsibility for driving according to the conditions, weather, vehicle condition etc away form the motorist and places it squarely back with the pedestrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On a country lane during the week near dusk, wearing a high vis (proper running one) as I was out for a run, and I still got buzzed by a dick in a golf on a country lane. Every other driver slowed and gave me space, this asshole gave the impression he wasn't looking out his windscreen or didn't care, as I realised he wasn't slowing or moving over despite me waving to do so as he got closer.

I'm happy in the knowledge that I know where he lives if it happens again, had he paid attention he'd know I'm a regular on the road outside his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ThisRegard wrote: »
    On a country lane during the week near dusk, wearing a high vis (proper running one) as I was out for a run, and I still got buzzed by a dick in a golf on a country lane. Every other driver slowed and gave me space, this asshole gave the impression he wasn't looking out his windscreen or didn't care, as I realised he wasn't slowing or moving over despite me waving to do so as he got closer.

I'm happy in the knowledge that I know where he lives if it happens again, had he paid attention he'd know I'm a regular on the road outside his house.

I suspect he's the type that assumes that as long as he doesn't actually hit you, he doesn't have to move over (or even slow down)!

IMO, these are the most dangerous drivers on our roads.

but if does save a life

Shock horror as MAYO Councillor, pushes for Hi Vis. I can't imagine who would benefit most out of this. Odd they never call for torches, or enforcement of the RTA, or maybe mandatory black boxes in cars etc. Stuff that may actually change behaviour.

All this will do, efficacy aside, is encourage drivers to go faster than conditions allow as they presume they will see everyone in good time (on a windy road) and that if they don't, well then it must be faulty Hi Vis or the person deserved it because they did not wear Hi Vis.

but if does save a life
    The "J1L" defence is a handy indicator of someone about to perform evidence-free blame shifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    We've followed the UK's lead in the infiltration of hi-vis to every walk of life, to the extent it's becoming more and more ridiculous. I have to wear a hi-vis vest as a GAA coach to make me stand out - despite my team consisting of 11 year old boys, me wearing the club colours and being over 6 foot in height. But hey, it's the rule so i just go with the flow.:rolleyes:

In fairness I think it's so the ref knows which voice from the rabid screaming mob of parents to listen to

Advertisement