Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GreeBo wrote: »
    Great, reflective gear makes you more visible so I guess you have no issue with wearing it or with the RSA encouraging people to wear it then.
    I have a problem with the RSA encouraging people to use it and not making a far larger issue out of decent lights. Campaign for Hi Vis after the campaign for decent lighting has achieved something. So yes, I have an issue, but it is again you misinterpreting my posts, I think now intentionally. I have no issue with Hi Vis (talking about the vets the RSA promote). In a narrow set of circumstances it may be beneficial but in any of those circumstances, decent lights will have you seen long before. As the TRL study states, you have to be aware of the limitations of what you are endorsing. Hi Vis (vests in case anyone accuses me of misleading or some other thing), are suitable in a narrow range of circumstances. It is not visible around bends, it is not visible if the driver is using DRLs in the dark, it blends in several sodium lights into the surround from dusk till dawn in urban settings.
    Whataboutery.
    It is not whataboutery. Hi Vis requires an external light source to reflect back. If drivers are using dips or DRLs, in a dark setting, it provides no added visibility. It is a clear demonstration why Hi Vis is a dangerous placebo promoted by the RSA and believed to be acceptabel as a minimum standard. Someone else posted about askign the general public about cyclist visibility. Worringly, I imagine many would respond with that cyclists should wear Hi Vis without any understanding of Physics.
    Why are you deciding they are only at your lights? The clothes are reflective, the lights are shining, they dont only shine 2 feet behind your vehicle!
    Because that is what the post said, rear brake lights.
    Is anyone saying that they are enough on their own?
    It seems that you and others are repeatedly saying that lights on their own are enough, many of us disagree with that.
    And you are entitled to that opinion. Several people believe Hi Vis vests on their own are sufficient. What I am saying is that decent lights are the desirable minimum standard for road users. You may believe that you need Hi Vis and decent Lights, a standard that is fine by me as it gets over the minimum. For the last time, i am just saying, Hi Vis on its own is not enough, you appear to agree with me on that. You disagree that decent lights on their own are enough, you may be right, I don't agree but at least we both agree that you need decent lights something the RSA are steadfastedly ignoring.

When its hidden by the lights from many other road vehicles.
    I may see the light but I can't easily & quickly determine the source of the light its not that useful.
    Whereas a reflective jacket like above, in my experience, makes it much easier to spot and more importantly distinguish.
    And my experience has not been this, I have noticed Hi Vis, I have noticed regular dark jumpers. The truth is though if you cannot determine where one decent light source comes from, how do you determine where the reflected light from the Hi Vis is in relation to your road position. It is the exact same problem.
    Only if you think that lights are the be all and end all.
    I think decent lights are the minimum standard we need to meet. All I have had from you is your point on raindrops on a rear view mirror making it appear that lights are all coming from one source or that you have a hundered cyclists in your left mirror. Either way, you should drive as if there is someone there and if you cannot tell the distance, you stop and wait until that it is clear to proceed. A shoulder check will also help, which I presume you do at every turn anyway.
    The RSA are never going to hand out €17 lights to people, would you prefer they did nothing?
    Actually yes. They are encouraging a safety device that both you and I agree is not enough. Gardai and RSa officials handing out Hi Vis vests on a dark day on the N11 when they don't have lights indicates to that person that this is sufficient, rather than either fining the cyclist for no lights or holding the bike at a local station until the cyclist turns up and fits lights. Cambridgeshire police used to do this and it was quite successful AFAIR
    If you cant accept the simple physics involved with raindrops focusing light from multple sources onto your mirror then I'm not sure there is any point in trying to continue a logical conversation with you.
    Whether multiple or one, if it worked exactly as you say (and I have never found it to be the case), then you do a shoulder check, proceed slowly, and with extreme caution, with your indicator on well in advance. The problem here is, I suspect, some motorists don't even do one of these things, let alone all of them in these scenarios.
    Every drop of rain on your mirror will look like a light source, if you have never experienced this then I question the validity of your driving experience.
    The mind is a wonderful thing in that it can usually decipher a huge amount of the noise and interpret it. There are some people who can't but I would not believe this to be the morm.
    Thats all great in theory, but the reality of the situation is that there is only one loser if a mistake is made.
    100%, hence why I don't trust other road users when out, I make informed and educated decisions as well as in the back of my brain, a risk analysis of the situation, same as most road users. The thing is, when encased in metal, your risj analysis is very different. There is another study from 2011 assessing motorcyclists driving cars vs general motorists driving cars. They found that motor cyclists are significantly more observant and risk adverse, most likely due to their learned risk analysis of road use. It is not to far of a leap to say this will apply to some cyclists as well, although not all, there are muppets in all groups.
    I countered your graphic with a real world example of what Im talking about.
    I'm sorry if the reality of the situation annoys you and I wish it were not so, but it is, so complaining about the RSA and trying to make it everyone elses problem to solve is going to get you dead.
    Here is the pic you gave:
    rain-color-night-background-260nw-775614595.jpg
    It is far from the worst rain I have driven in, it certainly isn't making the rain drops into light sources or whatever else you were trying to insinuate.
    blackbox wrote: »
    I can't understand why people think they look stupid in hi-viz vests. Do all builders and engineers look stupid?
    has anyone said this?
    2 meter high viz flags/lights to be added to all bikes? Indicators? Reg plates? Bike Insurance? Where does it end? At what point do we say, you know what? The responsibility doesn't lie with cyclists anymore, lets shift that responsibility to where it really belongs, and where it belongs in most civilized countries in Europe, the motorist. It's just used as a scapegoat excuse to push the anti cycling agenda. The RSA can die a horrible death as far as I am concerned.
    And as shown in courts across the country, where even when the victim should have been clearly visible, often in broad daylight, the question of Hi Vis comes up consistently even though it is often in scenarios where it would not have aided the visibility of the cyclist or pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Neo2020

Just reading and thinking about some posts.

And yes, the debate about Hi-vis has transcended into farce. The media does tend to portray cyclists as being reckless, irresponsible, selfish idiots who generally are at fault regardless when anything happens to them.

There is a spectrum of cyclists, from reckless to exemplary. Likewise for vehicle drivers.

I was recently struck side on by a motorist who went through a stop sign straight onto the cycle lane. I had helmet, high visibility cycling jacket and bright front and rear lights. It was early morning, but twilight so you could clearly see everything in natural light.

Does every accident now involving a cyclist boil down to whether or not he was wearing high vis. If the outcome had been different from me, is that where the focus would be, what was I wearing rather than how did it happen I was hit by a car.

Of course cyclists should be well lit up, and there are too many times at night, dawn and dusk when I see see cyclists in dark clothing with no bike lights.

But it’s missing the real issue, a cyclist is so vulnerable and the outcome of a collision is really down to chance.

The RSA, the Gardai, and politicians need to re-enforce driver responsibility to counteract the mantra that a high vis jacket is a magical cloak that protects you from everything bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Tbf, I dont think the remit of the RSA is "get the gardai to do their jobs".

RSA or somebody else, it needs to be somebody's remit, because currently the Gardai suck big round hairy balls when it comes to enforcement and road users across the board are taking the p**s with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    No. Lots of people cycle at night... even us who live “in the country” where there are no street lights.
    You really think more people cycle at night outside of sub/urban areas than in them?:confused:
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I have a problem with the RSA encouraging people to use it and not making a far larger issue out of decent lights. Campaign for Hi Vis after the campaign for decent lighting has achieved something. So yes, I have an issue, but it is again you misinterpreting my posts, I think now intentionally. I have no issue with Hi Vis (talking about the vets the RSA promote). In a narrow set of circumstances it may be beneficial but in any of those circumstances, decent lights will have you seen long before. As the TRL study states, you have to be aware of the limitations of what you are endorsing. Hi Vis (vests in case anyone accuses me of misleading or some other thing), are suitable in a narrow range of circumstances. It is not visible around bends, it is not visible if the driver is using DRLs in the dark, it blends in several sodium lights into the surround from dusk till dawn in urban settings.
    Do you have any facts to backup your assertion that "in any of those circumstances, decent lights will have you seen long before"?
    It is not whataboutery. Hi Vis requires an external light source to reflect back. If drivers are using dips or DRLs, in a dark setting, it provides no added visibility. It is a clear demonstration why Hi Vis is a dangerous placebo promoted by the RSA and believed to be acceptabel as a minimum standard. Someone else posted about askign the general public about cyclist visibility. Worringly, I imagine many would respond with that cyclists should wear Hi Vis without any understanding of Physics.
    Indeed it does, but as has been pointed out, there are lots of light sources, hence why bicycle lights can get lost in the noise.

No one on here is saying its safe or logical to go cycling on a dark road with a yellow t-shirt on, yet you seem to keep arguing that point.
    Because that is what the post said, rear brake lights.
    [
    Yeah it said rear brake lights, but you for some reason decided that that means the cyclist was right against these lights.
    I have seen my rear brake lights and indicators reflected in street signs that are at least 100M behind me.
    And you are entitled to that opinion. Several people believe Hi Vis vests on their own are sufficient. What I am saying is that decent lights are the desirable minimum standard for road users. You may believe that you need Hi Vis and decent Lights, a standard that is fine by me as it gets over the minimum. For the last time, i am just saying, Hi Vis on its own is not enough, you appear to agree with me on that. You disagree that decent lights on their own are enough, you may be right, I don't agree but at least we both agree that you need decent lights something the RSA are steadfastedly ignoring.
    Who are these "several people"?
    Are they arguing on this thread?

And my experience has not been this, I have noticed Hi Vis, I have noticed regular dark jumpers. The truth is though if you cannot determine where one decent light source comes from, how do you determine where the reflected light from the Hi Vis is in relation to your road position. It is the exact same problem.
    Every light source probably isn't a cyclist or pedestrian, every moving reflected body probably is.
    I think decent lights are the minimum standard we need to meet. All I have had from you is your point on raindrops on a rear view mirror making it appear that lights are all coming from one source or that you have a hundered cyclists in your left mirror. Either way, you should drive as if there is someone there and if you cannot tell the distance, you stop and wait until that it is clear to proceed. A shoulder check will also help, which I presume you do at every turn anyway.
    Indeed I do.
    The problem is that *I'm* not the guy who is knocking down and killing cyclists.
    Actually yes. They are encouraging a safety device that both you and I agree is not enough. Gardai and RSa officials handing out Hi Vis vests on a dark day on the N11 when they don't have lights indicates to that person that this is sufficient, rather than either fining the cyclist for no lights or holding the bike at a local station until the cyclist turns up and fits lights. Cambridgeshire police used to do this and it was quite successful AFAIR
    I would have no problem with them confiscating bikes without lights and more than I would them fining cars without lights, but again you, as a cyclist can do squat about that.
    Whether multiple or one, if it worked exactly as you say (and I have never found it to be the case), then you do a shoulder check, proceed slowly, and with extreme caution, with your indicator on well in advance. The problem here is, I suspect, some motorists don't even do one of these things, let alone all of them in these scenarios.

The mind is a wonderful thing in that it can usually decipher a huge amount of the noise and interpret it. There are some people who can't but I would not believe this to be the morm.

100%, hence why I don't trust other road users when out, I make informed and educated decisions as well as in the back of my brain, a risk analysis of the situation, same as most road users. The thing is, when encased in metal, your risj analysis is very different. There is another study from 2011 assessing motorcyclists driving cars vs general motorists driving cars. They found that motor cyclists are significantly more observant and risk adverse, most likely due to their learned risk analysis of road use. It is not to far of a leap to say this will apply to some cyclists as well, although not all, there are muppets in all groups.
    so this is why I cannot understand your being against cyclists being more visible via reflective clothing.
    We are all agreed that there are idiots and distracted people on both sides, so take things into your own hands and make yourself as visible as possible.
    Your argument continually seems to be "I shouldn't have to do anything, motorists should be better".

Again, do you lock your bike or rely on the gardai to prevent thefts?
    Here is the pic you gave:
    rain-color-night-background-260nw-775614595.jpg
    It is far from the worst rain I have driven in, it certainly isn't making the rain drops into light sources or whatever else you were trying to insinuate.
    Exactly, its far from the worst rain yet already there are several light sources reflected. I count 17. Which of them are bike lights and which are cars, or street lights, or shop lights or a million other potential things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yea, putting pressure on the Gardai to focus on enforcing the rules of the road would be within the remit of the road safety authority.
    I'll repeat my earlier analogy, you are cycling without wet gear to make the weathermen better.

I cannot get this analogy at all. It makes zero sense to me.

Do you lock your bike or are you expecting the gardai to stamp out all crime instead?

How the hell have you made the jump there?

There's absolutely no link between your analogies and the correlation between high viz and safety. There's already laws for having lights. Good lights are all you need to be seen on the road. Nothing else. There's no scenario where a cyclist will not be seen with good lights, if a driver is driving based on the current conditions.

Your previous suggestion is a slippery slope. Here's another slippery slope.

Bike gets stole, I used 2 locks. Gardai says I should have used more.
    Next bike gets stolen, I used 4 locks, Gardai says bike should be locked inside.
    Another bike gets stolen, this time it's locked with 4 locks in our underground carpark. Gardai say it should be in a secure compound.
    Next bike gets stolen from the compound, 4 locks still being used.
    Last bike gets stolen from a secure compound, Gardai suggest I dismantle my bike, put it in a safe bolted to the wall in the secure compound in my underground carpark.
    Do you think the suggestions here are ok? Especially since the Gardai haven't focused on investigating the crimes what so ever. Is it ok to place the blame on me?

You are still putting 100% responsibility on the cyclist. You haven't mentioned drivers at all in your reply to my posts. Why?

You are focused on introducing something which only appeals to the masses, it doesn't actually help anybody at all. What's should be introduced next to disperse the mob?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You really think more people cycle at night outside of sub/urban areas than in them?:confused:

No, that's not what i said. I said Lots of people cycle. Lots of people cycle in Urban and rural areas.

My point is, cycling is not unique to urban/city area's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Exactly, its far from the worst rain yet already there are several light sources reflected. I count 17. Which of them are bike lights and which are cars, or street lights, or shop lights or a million other potential things?

If that's what you see when you look into your mirror, sell your car, don't get behind the wheel ever.

Seriously though, that's the dept of field, nobody sees that fuzz when looking in the mirror, unless they are focusing on the water droplets.

Nobody, that's driving with due care, has difficulty in differentiating between a water droplet and a bike.

Crashed into the back of a bus once, thought it was my window wiper.

I cannot get this analogy at all. It makes zero sense to me.
    To me its the exact same thing.
    Rather than wear reflective gear and be more visible, you instead want motorist to drive better.
    Rather than just bring your raingear everyday, you instead want the weatherman to get better at forecasting the rain.
    How the hell have you made the jump there?
    See above.
    There's absolutely no link between your analogies and the correlation between high viz and safety. There's already laws for having lights. Good lights are all you need to be seen on the road. Nothing else. There's no scenario where a cyclist will not be seen with good lights, if a driver is driving based on the current conditions.
    There is only no link if you refuse to accept that reflective clothing increases your visibility.

Your previous suggestion is a slippery slope. Here's another slippery slope.

Bike gets stole, I used 2 locks. Gardai says I should have used more.
    Next bike gets stolen, I used 4 locks, Gardai says bike should be locked inside.
    Another bike gets stolen, this time it's locked with 4 locks in our underground carpark. Gardai say it should be in a secure compound.
    Next bike gets stolen from the compound, 4 locks still being used.
    Last bike gets stolen from a secure compound, Gardai suggest I dismantle my bike, put it in a safe bolted to the wall in the secure compound in my underground carpark.
    Do you think the suggestions here are ok? Especially since the Gardai haven't focused on investigating the crimes what so ever. Is it ok to place the blame on me?
    Whats your alternative?
    Let your bike get stolen so you can show up the Gardai?
    No one is saying its ok that cyclists get hit, but thats the reality.

You are still putting 100% responsibility on the cyclist. You haven't mentioned drivers at all in your reply to my posts. Why?

You are focused on introducing something which only appeals to the masses, it doesn't actually help anybody at all. What's should be introduced next to disperse the mob?

Because as a I cyclist I can do no more about drivers than I can about the weather, hence I always bring my wetgear and I always make myself as visible as possible, via lights and reflective clothing.

In *your* opinion reflective gear does nothing, many others disagree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Do you have any facts to backup your assertion that "in any of those circumstances, decent lights will have you seen long before"?
    i know the word 'PHYSICS' has been thrown around with abandon, but do we need to go back to first principles to determine whether a device which produces its own light is more consistently visible than one which needs a light shone onto it to be visible?
    and as mentioned, under sodium lights, the only colour any jacket can reflect is is the same colour that the light shining onto it produces.

No, that's not what i said. I said Lots of people cycle. Lots of people cycle in Urban and rural areas.

My point is, cycling is not unique to urban/city area's.

And yet I never said it was unique to those areas?!

I said
    "I'd wager that the majority of 'night' cycling is done in areas with lots of other light sources."

and you replied

"No. Lots of people cycle at night"

so what exactly are you arguing about?:confused:

• Advertisement

And yet I never said it was unique to those areas?!

I said
    "I'd wager that the majority of 'night' cycling is done in areas with lots of other light sources."

can you post a link to show where you got this info?

can you post a link to show where you got this info?

I believe I said "I'd wager" rather than "I found this fact"?

I any case, I think its pretty obvious that more people commute in cities and suburban areas than elsewhere, since thats where all the buildings people work in live. :rolleyes:

https://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/new-study-reveals-huge-numbers-commuting-bike-dublins-quays

I any case, I think its pretty obvious that more people commute in cities and suburban areas than elsewhere, since thats where all the buildings people work in live. :rolleyes:

https://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/new-study-reveals-huge-numbers-commuting-bike-dublins-quays

I think it's pretty obvious that people should use lights. If its dark use lights, if it's dark and there are street lights, use lights, if it's dark and raining, use lights, its its dark, raining and there are no other light sources, use lights. I mean good descent lights.

I think it's pretty obvious that people should use lights. If its dark use lights, if it's dark and there are street lights, use lights, if it's dark and raining, use lights, its its dark, raining and there are no other light sources, use lights. I mean good descent lights.

I hope you dodge potholes as well as you dodge questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Key functions
    The RSA works to improve road safety in Ireland by:

Developing and implementing information and education campaigns to increase awareness of road safety and promote safer driving
    Improving vehicle standards
    Establishing and monitoring a standard for driver instruction
    Overseeing the system of driver licensing and undertaking certain enforcement activities
    Working with stakeholders to ensure a co-ordinated response and ensure our collective resources are used wisely and efficiently
    Undertaking accident and road safety research in order to develop measures and recommendations to improve road safety
    Advising the Minister for Transport on road safety policy
    Producing road safety strategy documents and monitoring their implementation
    I think you could make the case on other points of the list, but at least the two I highlighted (from the RSA website) would suggest it is part of their remit.

I hope you dodge potholes as well as you dodge questions.

I do...because i can see them with my LIGHTS! ;)

I do...because i can see them with my LIGHTS! ;)

Indeed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Thread hurts brain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The picture is also not focused in the way your eyes would focus on the mirror but despite that, I find it very easy to distinguish which light sources are not from cars or bikes. It is incredibly simple. Where they can be, where they cannot be and there is even enough info in that really poor shot to say the distance at which those that maybe vehicular are. This said, most Hi Vis vests would blend with the road so hopefully anyone using them would also have supplementary lights to stand out from the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

On rural roads especially, hi-viz vests make pedestrians and cyclists much more visible in ALL light conditions.

But not more visible in no-light conditions such as... night time?
    Lights are not mandatory (unfortunately) during daylight hours.

They are for the 30 mins before sun set, and 30 mins after sun rise for all road users. But you'd have to question what use on a bright sunny summers day would have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's absolutely more than just a shred of truth in the general public's opinion of cyclists.
    Not really, when you compare it to the general public's opinion of motorists who routinely break speed limits, red lights, mobile phone laws and kill 3 or 4 people each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Plastik wrote: »
    Thread hurts brain.

Yep. This and other threads in the forum lately highlight that some people would argue with their toenails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

One thing that seems to be missed is that you say you'd see a high vis in the mirror... but by dint of the cyclist being a large light blocking mass the closer they get to the car mirror the more background light they would block thereby reducing the amount of light sources directly hitting the wing mirror, not to mention that their front light should also be bright enough to drown out the minor other lights? That's what I'd tend to observe when I'm driving .

Grassey wrote: »
    One thing that seems to be missed is that you say you'd see a high vis in the mirror... but by dint of the cyclist being a large light blocking mass the closer they get to the car mirror the more background light they would block thereby reducing the amount of light sources directly hitting the wing mirror, not to mention that their front light should also be bright enough to drown out the minor other lights? That's what I'd tend to observe when I'm driving .

The light shining on a cyclist is coming from in front of them, not behind them.
    if it was only behind them you wouldn't seen them.

Your point about their front light drowning out other lights would only work if they are right on top of your mirror, if thats the first time you see them its too late.

Yep. This and other threads in the forum lately highlight that some people would argue with their toenails.

Oh boo hoo. Someone on the internet disagrees with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Oh boo hoo. Someone on the internet disagrees with you.

I must have touched a nerve. It really doesn’t bother me. Some are getting very riled up though about big bad people on the internet. Some here are speaking more sense than others. Some are grasping at straws from an empty box. It’s mildly entertaining. Keep it up please. It’s passing a bit of time for me. Also, try not to get worked up by this post like you did my last one. It’s bad for your health. Go for a spin (on a bike) instead. :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

934ae750-e17c-41d8-bc2f-d2f64f64c984.gif

Back on topic. Less of the bickering please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mod note: All - can we keep the bickering out of it - no need for pot-shots at each other, if you have an issue with another poster you can report it or otherwise not engage with that poster.
    it's not as if it's, eh, a matter of life and death...

ah, you beat me to it.

• Advertisement

Heres a better one: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6mtw/

Statistically speaking...very few builders cycle, so even less reason to wear a "Builders hi-viz vest" maybe the RSA should look at Hi-viz 3 piece suits as Male office workers seem to make up the majority of cyclists? (in urban areas too)

Advertisement