Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with new Garden

• 29-01-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hoping someone can advise...

Built a house 3 yrs ago and did nothing with the lawns until last March/April when we moved soil around the site and got a digger into level it all off...
    Settlement has of course taken place over the 10 months (it now very bumpy again) and the area does need to be re-levelled with topsoil and then new lawns put in... The soil is fairly wet & heavy...

I am now concerned that if i spend the money on levelling area again, applying new topsoil and levelling it with Stone Burrier, Sowing Seeds etc (this is the way landscaper telling me they going to do it) is there any chance at all that the new lawn may sink as much as it has over the last 10 months...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

You could go around and dig out all the perennial weeds the likes of docks thistles plantain etc rotavator it pick all the stones and level it again. But you said the soil was moved around the site my guess is the man in the digger didn't know what he was doing and now you have subsoil where the topsoil should be. The topsoil should be darker than the subsoil so find a place where the digger man didn't dig and compare that topsoil with the soil in your lawn. Topsoil can be 6 inch to a foot or more in some parts of the county. And that's why your landscaper is saying it needs top soil you know this landscaper do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Droghead

Hi Peter,

The landscaper I know locally but I have met a few to get some quotes for the work... I understand what you saying about the earlier work that's been done but unfortunately it done now...

My concern is that a lot of settlement has happened in the last 10 months and area is now nearly as unlevel as before the work was done and I just worried that I go spend all this money on putting in my lawns that maybe more settlement will occur or would settlement at this stage be finished... The landscapers saying that the grading of the soil and rolling process that they use would result in minimal to no settlement... Would you agree????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Ya i would say its well settled by now when they put the new topsoil on and roll it then it should be ok now i am no expert but by what you have said your landscaper seems to knows what he is doing

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lavin.ie

By using the stone burier (SB) the landscaper is saving you money. There may be other grading and leveling to be done after with rota-rake or land leveler, but generally the (SB) leaves a good finish ready for seeding.
    Quick explanation how it works:
    It rotavates the soil in clockwise direction
    Throwing all the soil, rocks and sod against a grill, the stones, sod and rocks are blocked and fall into the hole generated by the rotavating action.
    The finer soil passes through and is pulled over the rocks and debris by a grading blade, there is a rear packer on the back of the machine which leaves it ready for seeding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-b-H3uYL1M

Advertisement