Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone familiar with old land rover engines?

Options
  • 29-01-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hey chaps I have a old landy(63) that had a newer 2.5 turbo engine fitted(j19/200tdi).

The breather pipe on the filler cap is ran into theair intake box before the turbo which spouting a drip of oil in shock covers the filter.
    Can I remove it and run into a smaller filter and plug up the hole deft in airbox ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Superdedupity

Id ask for this to be moved to the 4x4 forum, 101sean might be better placed to help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I do look in here occasionally!

If it's a 19J they are heavy breathers so use a catch tank as suggested, A 200tdi shouldn't breath as much oil (200tdi is a different and far better engine than a 19J)

Out of interest, if a 200tdi does it still have it's turbo and intercooler? Fitting a 200tdi without is a common relatively easy conversion in Series Land Rovers but I've seen some real abortions and when a mate got one I had to take the engine out and fit it properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

101sean wrote: »
    I do look in here occasionally!

If it's a 19J they are heavy breathers so use a catch tank as suggested, A 200tdi shouldn't breath as much oil (200tdi is a different and far better engine than a 19J)

Out of interest, if a 200tdi does it still have it's turbo and intercooler? Fitting a 200tdi without is a common relatively easy conversion in Series Land Rovers but I've seen some real abortions and when a mate got one I had to take the engine out and fit it properly!

thanks for the reply sean..yea it still has the turbo,the rad and intercooler were the one unit brand spaning new rad in her now tto..
    it seems to have been done to a reasonable standard couple of little bits to tidy up,only to be expected i suppose

Only pic I have atm of the engine...can you tell if it's a j or 200

never mind i taught more could be seen il post a better one tomorrow

• Advertisement

Only pic I have atm of the engine...can you tell if it's a j or 200

Here's a clearer pics of the engine(first 3)
    Other two are work in progress

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's a 19J, also known as 2.5TD. Didn't have the greatest reputation but fine if looked after properly with regular oil changes. Fits straight on a series 3 gearbox and plumbs in relatively easily unlike a Tdi which needs a bit more work.

Nice project on the go there.

Advertisement