Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a job in the bike industry

• 29-01-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Will be graduating next year with hopefully a good degree in Chinese and International Business. Have a Level 7 degree in mechanical engineering and 3 yrs work experience under my belt also. Weighing up options for a career and I don't think I'm going to get the call from Sky anytime soon. Really fancy getting into the bike industry. Is there anyone on here that is working with bike related companies. If so, can you offer advice on how to best seek out a position?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

well with your education why the hell not give sky a buzz and see if they will give you a job, mind you there other teams out there you might have a better time with.
    good luck in your hunt hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

You wanna stay in Chinaland or will anywhere in the world do?
    Not really able to help you just being nosey!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wheelworx had an add on Facebook for mechanics/sales people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I'm open to anywhere really. The one bit of advice I got from a fella who now works with Scott Sports is its a clicky business and best try and work my way into it from a LBS. Not sure the Mrs would be happy with me working in a bike shop though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I couldnt do it haha

The wages would be gone before I got home

I would buy the nicer bikes incase some clumsy mug got their hands on them and didnt look after them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭3102derek

When trek were based in Carlow years ago, I looked for job there.
    Went through three interviews.
    Declined it in the end as the wages were terrible iirc.

It was for general assembly at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Just get the best job you can in whatever industry you can.
    Buy a welder and a jig and build frames in your spare time to keep you sane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you can deal with Chinese suppliers and you know materials, start your own bike brand.

We can help you with important issues like getting the cranks positioned at the right angle for press shots.

What's stopping you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lumen wrote: »
    If you can deal with Chinese suppliers and you know materials, start your own bike brand.

It's working pretty well for Turas, I'm sure there's a decent living to be made out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

You're looking at minimum wage in a bike shop, plus trade discount. The UCI run a mechanics course out of Aigle; the workshop is amazing, had never seen so many wheels in one place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

agree build your own bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

LBS me backside; hightail it to North Cali /BC and offer to make the coffee for the likes of Santa Cruz, Marin, Kona etc then provide sexual favours until you've worked your way into the design dept.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

agree build your own bikes.

If you're gonna do this, I highly recommend not doing it in Ireland. I won't go into the usual rant about owning your own business here, the threads on it are plentiful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

china ownly pays $200 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Will be graduating next year with hopefully a good degree in Chinese and International Business. Have a Level 7 degree in mechanical engineering and 3 yrs work experience under my belt also. Weighing up options for a career and I don't think I'm going to get the call from Sky anytime soon. Really fancy getting into the bike industry. Is there anyone on here that is working with bike related companies. If so, can you offer advice on how to best seek out a position?

The Spokesman is looking for someone to run a franchise in north Dublin.
    Its a successful business. then franchise it to China. . there are 9 million bicycles in Bejing..

http://www.thespokesman.ie/ he announced the franchise on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ddag

Jobs do pop up on the various forums/fora out there. This one's maybe too London-specific but it might give some ideas:
    http://www.lfgss.com/forum69.html

Advertisement