Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cycling Legislation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The Road Traffic (No. 2) Bill 2013 deals with impairment testing, but does not seem to be on the Statute yet.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=23910&&CatID=59

Can any of you legal eagles enlighten me?

EDIT: just realised that the above legislation (and Oireachtas webpage) is still a work in progress.

Section 11 of the road traffic act 2010 covers roadside impairment tests.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The Road Traffic (No. 2) Bill 2013 deals with impairment testing, but does not seem to be on the Statute yet.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=23910&&CatID=59

Can any of you legal eagles enlighten me?

EDIT: just realised that the above legislation (and Oireachtas webpage) is still a work in progress.

I think you're right about that. No impairment test has been prescribed as yet under the 2010 legislation as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

Cycle Lanes

What the law says:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S.I. No. 332/2012 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2012.
    14. (1) A cycle track shall be indicated by—

(a) traffic sign number RUS 009 (with-flow cycle track) provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) or RRM 023 (broken white line) which latter signs may be marked on the right hand edge of the cycle track or on the right hand and left hand edges of the cycle track,

(b) traffic sign number RUS 059 (contra-flow cycle track) provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) which may be marked on the right hand edge of the cycle track or on the left hand edge of the cycle track or on both sides, or

(c) traffic sign number RUS 058 (shared track for pedal cycles and pedestrians).

(2) The periods of operation of a cycle track may be indicated on an information plate which may be provided in association with traffic sign number RUS 009, RUS 059 or RUS 058.

(3) Where a cycle track, provided by traffic sign number RUS 009 in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) or RRM 023 (broken white line), is two-way, pedal cycles shall be driven as near as possible to the left hand side of each lane.

(4) A pedal cycle shall be driven on a cycle track where—

(a) a cycle track is provided on a road, a portion of a road, or an area at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided, or

(b) a cycle track is a contra-flow cycle track where traffic sign number RUS 059 is provided and pedal cycles shall only be driven in a contra-flow direction on such track.

(5)(a) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 022 has been provided, save for the purposes of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place.

(b) A reference in paragraph (a) to driving along or across a cycle track shall include a reference to driving wholly or partly along or across a cycle track.

What this means:
    It replaces older legislation, which obliged cyclists to use a cycle lane where provided. You are now only obliged to use a cycle lane when it is on a pedestrianised street or is a contra-flow lane

My reading is that if a cycle lane is provided then you a obilged to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

apc wrote: »

It certainly was the case until quite recently, but Vladimir's reading is correct in the light of current law: only obligatory in contraflow lanes and pedestrianised zones.

(a) a cycle track is provided on a road, a portion of a road, or an area at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided, or

(b) a cycle track is a contra-flow cycle track where traffic sign number RUS 059 is provided and pedal cycles shall only be driven in a contra-flow direction on such track.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0332.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Cycle Lanes

What the law says:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S.I. No. 332/2012 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2012.
    14. (1) A cycle track shall be indicated by—

(a) traffic sign number RUS 009 (with-flow cycle track) provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) or RRM 023 (broken white line) which latter signs may be marked on the right hand edge of the cycle track or on the right hand and left hand edges of the cycle track,

(b) traffic sign number RUS 059 (contra-flow cycle track) provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) which may be marked on the right hand edge of the cycle track or on the left hand edge of the cycle track or on both sides, or

(c) traffic sign number RUS 058 (shared track for pedal cycles and pedestrians).

(2) The periods of operation of a cycle track may be indicated on an information plate which may be provided in association with traffic sign number RUS 009, RUS 059 or RUS 058.

(3) Where a cycle track, provided by traffic sign number RUS 009 in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) or RRM 023 (broken white line), is two-way, pedal cycles shall be driven as near as possible to the left hand side of each lane.

(5)(a) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 022 has been provided, save for the purposes of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place.

(b) A reference in paragraph (a) to driving along or across a cycle track shall include a reference to driving wholly or partly along or across a cycle track.

What this means:
    It replaces older legislation, which obliged cyclists to use a cycle lane where provided. You are now only obliged to use a cycle lane when it is on a pedestrianised street or is a contra-flow lane

As a general rule sentences are meant to be read in their entirety in order to parse their meaning.

If this is done the bit about any of these being marked as a pedestrian area becomes the defining clause.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Things I can think of off-hand that I don't think I've seen so-far on the thread:

- passing on the left
    - no cycling sign
    - cycleways
    - shared use

Only on a phone right now, so will find quotes later -- the first two is the same SI as the updated cycle tracks regs.

The explanatory note at the end of the SI says nearly what the OP said:

"(only use of contraflow cycle track and of any cycle track in pedestrianised area is mandatory)"

And the minister has said befor and after about his intent of changing the law. A court has to take his intent into account.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

monument wrote: »
    - shared use
    Are there any laws for this, I thought they were made up by councils to make their lives easier but were in no way legislated for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Things I can think of off-hand that I don't think I've seen so-far on the thread:

- passing on the left

0332/2012 again - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0332.html
    (b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

Summary: cyclists can undertake except when it'd be a silly idea, like the vehicle is indicating and about to turn left, or is unloading people or objects.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I was thinking of incorporating the overtaking on the left law in a section covering all overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'm quite surpised that I can't find any reference to pedal reflectors being obligatory. I guess I must have just assumed they were but the rule never enforced (like the bell law in Ireland, or the pedal reflector law in the UK).

I certainly can't find any reference to obligatory pedal reflectors in Irish statutes.

• Advertisement

I haven't found any either. Indeed, briefly I thought they were illegal until you drew attention to the exemption on the other thread.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

All four of what I listed are in the following which also brings in the legal us of small bicycle traffic lights and the sequence found on the Grand Canal cycle route: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0332.html

Prohibition on pedal cycles

11. (1) Where traffic sign number RUS 055 (no pedal cycles) is provided, a person driving a pedal cycle shall not proceed beyond the sign.

(2) It is not required to apply this Regulation on a public road where section 43 of the Act of 1993 or regulations made under subsection (3) of that section apply or where articles 13 (driving on footway), 16 (median strip) or 45 (pedestrianised streets) of the Principal Regulations apply.

-- I know of no use if this bar tunnels to-date (the Dutch use it on larger roads; with mandatory cycle paths to the side... paranoia or mandtory use via the back door, only time will tell).
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Are there any laws for this, I thought they were made up by councils to make their lives easier but were in no way legislated for?

That changed with the SI linked to above:

“Cycle tracks

14. (1) A cycle track shall be indicated by

And this one seems to be the most recent legislation prohibiting cycling on footpaths and median strips
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

(4) A person shall not enter a bus-only street with a vehicle other than a large public service vehicle or a pedal cycle except for the purpose of access.

replacing
    (4) A person shall not enter a bus only street with a vehicle other than an omnibus except for the purpose of access.

So its also now legal to cycle in bus only streets.

JazzyJ wrote: »
    If you were to be pedantic, you could argue that you were trying to access the street/road at the other end beforehand, and no alternative was known :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

The new layout at Newlands Cross has a diversion for cyclists:
    http://www.n7n11.ie/public/images/Cycle_Diversionary_Route.pdf

Very much an awkward route, but give the tightness of space on the temporary layout Westbound of Newlands, might have to use it.

Are these "No Cycling beyond Newlands Cross" signs 'legal'? Or do they fall under advisory?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

JazzyJ wrote: »
    replacing

The Luas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

That changed with the SI linked to above:

“Cycle tracks

14. (1) A cycle track shall be indicated by

But: are there any laws regulating how a cyclist or pedestrian must conduct him/herself on such a track? Because there really should be...

The Luas?
    If your asking can you cycle on LUAS lines, you cannot unless it is a shared use area such as the stretch before St. James front entrance (ie it shares the lane with regular traffic)
    mackerski wrote: »
    But: are there any laws regulating how a cyclist or pedestrian must conduct him/herself on such a track? Because there really should be...
    Presumably in the same way that they behave themselves on a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

CramCycle wrote: »
    Presumably in the same way that they behave themselves on a road.

If, as a pedestrian on a road, I found a bike bearing down on me, I'd jump out of its way. So I'd like to think that shared tracks might be a little different.

• Advertisement

mackerski wrote: »
    If, as a pedestrian on a road, I found a bike bearing down on me, I'd jump out of its way. So I'd like to think that shared tracks might be a little different.
    I meant from a how your meant to behave, as in bikes should not be "bearing down" on you. I would suspect that they are meant to give you a wide berth where possible and travel at a safe speed to react to those road users around them. Is there any specific legislation on how road vehicles are meant to behave towards pedestrians eg on roads with no pavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

That would be the idea alright. What I'd like to go for is having an FAQ type opening post, with discussion below. Then update the OP based on what emerges from the discussion.

I've updated the OP with regs on reflectors.

Now, does anyone know if there is any specific legislation applying to road position for cyclists? My understanding is that the same regs apply to all vehicle types, re. staying left.

Can anybody tell me where it says that if you are in a two lane road and the road is splitting and you are going to the right that you should be in the right hand lane. Had a row about this on the way in this morning when a white van beeped us for being in the right hand lane coming up to a junction where we were sticking to the right

There appears to be no legal prohibition on a cyclist changing lanes. The same laws that apply to motorised vehicles changing lanes also apply to pedal cycles.

There appears to be no legal prohibition on a cyclist changing lanes. The same laws that apply to motorised vehicles changing lanes also apply to pedal cycles.
    Sorry that was the one i was looking for

S.I. No. 294/1964 - Road Traffic General Bye-Laws, 1964 probably applies here:
    12.—(1) An authorised broken white line on a roadway shall indicate the boundary of a traffic lane.

(2) White arrows placed in traffic lanes at an approach to a road junction shall indicate to drivers the direction to be taken by traffic using those lanes, as follows :—

(a) in the case of arrows pointing straight ahead, a driver using the traffic lane in which those arrows are placed shall proceed straight through the junction ;

(b) in the case of arrows pointing or curved to the left, a driver using the traffic lane in which those arrows are placed shall turn left at the junction ;

(c) in the case of arrows pointing or curved to the right, a driver using the traffic lane in which those arrows are placed shall turn right at the junction.[

(3) A white line, terminating in an arrowhead and with an additional arrowhead branching from it to the left or to the right, placed in a traffic lane at an approach to a road junction shall indicate to drivers the direction to be taken by traffic using that lane, as follows :

(a) where the additional arrow branches to the left, a driver using the lane in which the white line is placed shall either proceed straight through the junction or turn left at the junction ;

(b) where the additional arrow branches to the right, a driver using the lane in which the white line is placed shall either proceed straight through the junction or turn right at the junction.
    17.—(1) A driver shall drive as near to the left hand side of the roadway as is necessary in order to allow, without danger or inconvenience to traffic or a pedestrian, approaching traffic to pass him on his right and overtaking traffic to overtake him on his right.

(2) Save on a one-way roadway, a driver shall drive to the left of a traffic refuge.

(3) A driver shall not drive from one traffic lane to another without good cause, and without yielding the right of way to traffic in that other lane.
    20. A driver approaching a road junction shall observe the following rules, save where a traffic sign requires a different course :

(a) if he intends to turn left at the junction, he shall drive on the left hand side of the roadway;

(b) if he intends to turn right at the junction, he shall drive close to the centre of the roadway, save that, when on a oneway roadway which is wide enough for more than one lane of traffic, he shall drive on the right hand side of the roadway.

I should probably note that under the act these bye-laws were drawn up, "driver" includes the rider of a pedal cycle.

Thanks VK, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Absolutely great thread.

Can one of the mods add it to the 'popular threads' post in the Charter & FAQ sticky?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Absolutely great thread.

Can one of the mods add it to the 'popular threads' post in the Charter & FAQ sticky?

Good idea, done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

With the recent video of motorcyclist vs cyclist doing the rounds, it might be worth pointing out that while it's probably not smart, it's not technically illegal (afaics) to use a mobile while cycling.

Road Traffic Act 2006, Section 3 - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0023/sec0003.html#sec3
    3.— (1) A person shall not while driving a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place hold a mobile phone.

Advertisement