Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cycling Legislation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Actually, a bike doesn't count as a mechanically propelled vehicle. But I'm sure if the cops wanted to prosecute you, they could use a more broader dangerous driving type offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Actually, a bike doesn't count as a mechanically propelled vehicle.

That's what I was implying... I hope! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

LOL, sorry, I managed to completely misread your post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Question for OP:

Is it your intention to incorporate in the thread:-

1. Local authority bye-laws covering e.g. cycling in parks?

2. Definition of electrically-assisted bicycles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

mechanically propelled vehicle

What if the cyclist is a mechanic? :)

ff_i_love_cycling_9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

garancafan wrote: »
    Question for OP:

I imagine that would cause too much confusion and long windedness. I would imagine it to be more sensible to stick to traffic law only. Only my opinion though

garancafan wrote: »
    Question for OP:

2. Definition of electrically-assisted bicycles?

I've a few updates to make based on the last few pages and I'll do them when I get a chance before moving on to new topics.

I'd have to go looking at bye-laws. I know a few people have looked at the Phoenix Park bye-laws and there's precious little mention of cycling in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Is there anything anywhere on tyres for bicycles? I'm thinking along the lines of a tread requirement. I'm looking through irishstatutebook.ie but I haven't come across anything so far (plenty of interesting misc., but not related to cycling).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Following some recent discussions on a few threads, I thought it worthwhile to start a thread to round up all the various bits of legislation related to cycling. It might be useful to try have everything in one place, to serve as a sort of FAQ.
    good evening Vladimir,
    I applaude your effort in putting this out there. Cyclists can be aware of the rules of the road yet every day while coming from work & going to work in Dublin city centre i see cyclists skipping through red lights & weaving between lanes of traffic flouting the rules!

my issue is that I have been told by professional drivers, (taxi, bus, motor bike couriers, truck drivers) that they KNOW the rules better than me as I am just a cyclist & I am in the wrong regardless of the situation. I really feel that this should set a wider audience rather than just cyclists.

Thanks
    bloggsie

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Bloggsie wrote: »
    I really feel that this should set a wider audience rather than just cyclists.

Thanks
    bloggsie

Well, probably, but why not assemble/clarify all the important stuff first and then maybe put out a boardsie press release or whatever?

On the mobile phone non-issue:
    Usually when I spot cyclists on the phone it's because I'm stuck behind them as they trundle along sedately. I don't really see "furious cycling" or dangerous driving charges as very likely to stick - most of them would probably be more likely to come a cropper or run into somebody if they weren't on the phone at the time. The cyclist I saw reading from her smartphone screen (one hand on the bars, one holding the phone) as she built up speed on a very steep descent last week was a bit of an exception in that regard, one of the maybe 5% of phone-using cyclists who do deserve to have the book thrown at them (whatever book that might be).

• Advertisement

Bloggsie wrote: »
    my issue is that I have been told by professional drivers, (taxi, bus, motor bike couriers, truck drivers) that they KNOW the rules better than me as I am just a cyclist & I am in the wrong regardless of the situation. I really feel that this should set a wider audience rather than just cyclists.

Tell them to read the thread so. :pac:

Or start a ninja campaign to poster bus/haulage depots, taxi ranks, etc. with copies of common RotR mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

whatever book that might be
    An ebook, obviously. That they can read on their phone.

one of the maybe 5% of phone-using cyclists who do deserve to have the book thrown at them (whatever book that might be).

Surely it should be ...the phone book? :pac:

ngbbs4c3fbe423002c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

buffalo wrote: »
    Tell them to read the thread so. :pac:

Or start a ninja campaign to poster bus/haulage depots, taxi ranks, etc. with copies of common RotR mistakes.

You don't need big posters, either - just little stickers with QR codes that the people you want to reach will scan in on their phones if you dot them around the place strategically.

I met a ninja activist a few weeks ago who showed me "his" QR codes attached to Sheffield stands. Cyclists who scan them out of curiosity while parking get to read Bernd Sluka's "10 commandments of safe cycling" on their phones:

1. You are in charge of a vehicle.
    2. See and be seen - in that order.
    3. Avoid cycle paths where possible.
    4. Avoid footpaths.
    5. Use the space on the road that you're entitled to.
    6. Back roads are more problematic than main roads.
    7. Make your intentions clear and predictable.
    8. Ride offensively on the outside, defensively on the inside.
    9. No inferiority complexes!
    10. Inspect your bicycle regularly.

Easy enough to adapt the idea to any other ninja campaign and target group.

Is it an offence to walk in a cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

depends on what your wearing! (sorry its silly half hour in my office at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You need to have a red rear reflector on your bicycle at all times.
    Some rear lights, when turned off, would act as a reflector. So I wonder does this cover you if your light is always on the bike

Because you could argue the reflector is integrated into the light, so it is both. Some appear to have both on the one unit

LRA366R.jpg
    biologic-taillight-stock-M.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Would it be the same as Jaywalking technically?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CramCycle wrote: »
    Would it be the same as Jaywalking technically?
    They jaywalking laws here take into account how close you are to a traffic light, i.e. if you are reasonably close to one you must use it, probably might include flyovers & zebra crossings.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Were cycling lanes defined in law by 1997 as part of the 'roadway'? If so, 46 (4) seems to apply:
    (4) Subject to sub-article (5), save when crossing the roadway, a pedestrian shall use a footway if one is provided

Though I imagine dedicated cycling infrastructure is ill-defined, and potentially not a roadway.

Also, I like 46 (2):
    (2) A pedestrian facing a traffic light lamp which shows a red light shall not proceed beyond that light.

Conjures up images of people stopping where they're standing because they're facing a red light, then walking forward on green, then freezing on red. I wonder would they try to leg it past the traffic light on amber?

In Irish law, "roadway" is defined as "that portion of a road which is provided primarily for the use of vehicles".

"Road" has a much broader definition and includes stuff like footpaths and hard shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Flashing lights on bicycles

S.I. No. 487/2009 - Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulations 2009

3. In these Regulations “Principal Regulations” means Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963 ( S.I. No. 189 of 1963 ).

4. Article 29 of the Principal Regulations is amended by inserting after sub-article (4) the following:

(5) In this article, ‘lit’ means the emission of a continuous light or a light that flashes not less than 60 times in each minute.”.

5. The following is substituted for Article 42 of the Principal Regulations:

“42. (1) Subject to sub-article (2), no lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle shall show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

(2) This article does not apply to a lamp fitted to a pedal cycle in accordance with article 29.”.

What this means:

These Regulations make it legal for pedal cyclists to use the flashing front and rear lamps that are in common usage.

So flashing at a frequency of 1Hz is allowed, but not below. How rare.

larryone wrote: »
    So flashing at a frequency of 1Hz is allowed, but not below. How rare.

No mobile discos with strobes allowed on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No mobile discos with strobes allowed on the road.
    Actually it says the opposite, it has to flash once per second or more.

Strobe lights for everyone!

seamus wrote: »

My physics classes from 12 years ago have failed me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Last weekend, I was driving near my home in County Limerick.

I came across a cycling club (possibly 30 riders) that were approximately 5 or 6 abreast.... similar to a pelaton in the Tour de France.

I was able to safely overtake them after two kilometres. They had zero intention of moving for oncoming cars and generated a mini traffic jam.

If it's not a road race, are they obliged to cycle single or double-breasted? I wanted to be sure about the correctness of their cycling.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    If it's not a road race, are they obliged to cycle single or double-breasted? I wanted to be sure about the correctness of their cycling.

Welcome to the first post:
    Cycling Two Abreast

What the law says:
    Originally Posted by S.I. No. 294/1964 - Road Traffic General Bye-Laws, 1964
    29.—(1) A pedal cyclist shall not, save when overtaking other pedal cyclists (and then only if to do so will not endanger other traffic or pedestrians) drive a pedal cycle on a roadway in such a manner as to result in more than two pedal cycles driving abreast.

(2) Pedal cyclists on a roadway shall cycle in single file when overtaking other traffic.

What this means:

You may cycle two abreast. You can cycle three abreast while overtaking, but only when a.) the overtaking cyclists are cycling in single file and the overtaken cyclists are two abreasts and b.) the overtaking manoeuvre is not endangering other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They may cycle two abreast in normal circumstances. 3 abreast is permitted where overtaking is occurring.

5 or 6 abreast is probably exaggerating a little, you would need to take up both sides of the carriageway to fit 5 or 6 abreast. However, 3 abreast with very poor group discipline could easily look like 5 or 6 abreast to an observer from the back.

In future if that occurs, the best thing you can do is make a note of the name of the club (most of the riders will be wearing club jerseys), and contact the club chairman to make a complaint.
    If you can't identify the club or they're causing major hassle on the road, then a phone call to the local Garda station to send a squad car out is probably best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

seamus wrote: »

No consideration for people who are photo-sensitive or may have epilepsy then - between 5Hz and 30 Hz are generally the danger zones

Advertisement