Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrghhh !! Session time outs and losing long posts I wrote

Options
  • 29-01-2014 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

This is seriously annoying.

I'm logged in and reply to a thread (either with post reply or quoting them),
    then start a long/detailed reply to help someone.
    After some amount of time (let's say 10-15 mins) I click "Submit Reply".

I'm then redirected to the login page, so I login and am redirected to a blank page, completely losing the reply I took a long time to type. :mad:

I cannot navigate back to the page I had the reply in, so all that text I typed in is gone.

I don't know how many posts I've lost with that, but it's seriously frustrating.
    I've ended up at least on the PC, copying long posts to the clipboard before hitting "Submit Reply" in case it happens.

Browser : Firefox 26 on Windows.

Although I think it happened me on Chrome on Android a few times too.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Tick the "Remeber Me" option at log in - that's always been the solution to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Dav wrote: »
    Tick the "Remeber Me" option at log in - that's always been the solution to this.

Would this be a good idea on a shared computer? I know in prison there is always one saying "oh my brother/sister/housemate used my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

bumper234 wrote: »
    Would this be a good idea on a shared computer? I know in prison there is always one saying "oh my brother/sister/housemate used my account.

Not if you log out when you're leaving the computer. That would cancel the 'Remember Me'.

Log out when you're completely finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Dav wrote: »

Okay, thanks.

In general I don't like "persistent cookies" on my machine, but since I have configured FireFox to delete them when I close the browser, it's a workaround for the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lazarus: Form Recovery :: Add-ons for Firefox is good for this, think Chrome have an add on as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If you think you've gone over the time limit you could always highlight and copy your entire text before hitting submit. If you're timed out just relog in and paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

In general, it's always an idea to copy your text before you submit anything on the Internet superhighway I find.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, I always copy if it's a long post.
    Your internet can always time out/computer crash/phone battery die/hamster fall off his wheel, so it's better safe than sorry.

With regards to leaving remember me ticked on a shared computer, I've raised this before but I'm not sure if it's been addressed. If the site goes down while you're logged in, it doesn't log you out. So if you are at a shared computer, is it possible to log out while the site is down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

With regards to leaving remember me ticked on a shared computer, I've raised this before but I'm not sure if it's been addressed. If the site goes down while you're logged in, it doesn't log you out. So if you are at a shared computer, is it possible to log out while the site is down?

I might be wrong but I'd have thought the name/password saving and remembering is done on the browser so clearing the history and any saved passwords/log ins would sort that I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Clearing the history and any saved passwords/log ins would sort that I'd imagine.

You may not always have permissions to clear the history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

You may not always have permissions to clear the history.

If it cant be cleared your end and its down on theirs then I cant see how you could log out. I know after extended downtime on most sites I usually have to log back in when it comes back so maybe they could log everyone out but may not be practical to log everyone out for short term outages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Clearing your cookies would be sufficient. And it would be a very strange set-up if you had permissions to set cookies, but not clear them

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

K-9 wrote: »
    Lazarus: Form Recovery :: Add-ons for Firefox is good for this, think Chrome have an add on as well.
    Ya this is one of the best Firefox plugins I know of - never lose anything you write, and can even check back to grab posts you wrote even if e.g. thread has been deleted.

Advertisement