Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine on the brink of civil war. Mod Warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭woodrow wyatt

gandalf wrote: »
    [

What is interesting is that they have blown $118 billion in the last year propping up the currency and banks. Whats even more interesting is that nearly €80 billion of that was wiped out since October 2014.

There are also numerous Russian banks in severe trouble who will have to be bailed out. Rosneft and other businesses are looking for hand outs and Putin has committed another $35 billion to economic stimulus programmes. Another $100 billion could be gone before the summer.

Or Russia could be seen to be buying Rubles with its Dollar reserves at a huge discount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Well the truce didn't even last one day. And Russians didn't bother to withdraw heavy weapons.

http://m.independent.ie/world-news/middle-east/at-least-25-people-killed-in-ukraine-despite-peace-deal-30988817.html

So back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Well the truce didn't even last one day. And Russians didn't bother to withdraw heavy weapons.

http://m.independent.ie/world-news/middle-east/at-least-25-people-killed-in-ukraine-despite-peace-deal-30988817.html

So back to square one.
    Before I even opened that link I knew straight away the source was Reuters.

France and Germany seem to think the truce is holding.
    http://rt.com/news/232443-ukraine-donbass-semblance-peace/

Before I even opened that link I knew straight away the source was Reuters.

France and Germany seem to think the truce is holding.
    http://rt.com/news/232443-ukraine-donbass-semblance-peace/

Ok I really had a laugh at this post. You're saying reuters isn't reliable but rt is. Good one. RT is a pro Kremlin mouthpiece. Its not reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ha ha ha ha!

Rt.com? Seriously? Putins News agency.

Funny.

:D

• Advertisement

Ok I really had a laugh at this post. You're saying reuters isn't reliable but rt is. Good one. RT is a pro Kremlin mouthpiece. Its not reliable.
    Eh? ....... RT are reporting that France and Germany say the truce is holding.
    How is this Kremlin propaganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The Russian Proxy Army & Real Army continued the assault on Debaltseve despite the so-called ceasefire under the Minsk agreement. As expected they never intended to keep to the agreement which was suspected given the movement of heavy military equipment from Russia into the occupied territories right after the agreement was signed.

It was all smoke and mirrors again from the Russians. Pretended to adhere to a ceasefire but not really. They have ceased fighting elsewhere and intensified it around Debaltseve. It is so obvious its Russians not separatists now doing the bulk of the fighting in modern Russian equipment. Its simply an invasion nothing else.

If the Russians don't withdraw their heavy weapons from Debaltseve I wonder what will Merkel's response be? Probably more hand wringing and frantic calls to Moscow. Will she go ahead with sanctions or has Putin outfoxed her again?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The worse part Merkel and Hollande actually believed putin was on the straight and narrow

I see India scraped the Rafale Fighter Deal With France, instead India will go with Russian planes.
    126 planes were supposed to be purchased directly from Dassault but seeing France fail to deliver the mistral ships to Russia, india pulled out of the deal.
    Billions of euros lost by France, unintended consequences of the sanctions on Russia.
    Someones head will roll in Paris.

• Advertisement

I see India scraped the Rafale Fighter Deal With France, instead India will go with Russian planes.
    126 planes were supposed to be purchased directly from Dassault but seeing France fail to deliver the mistral ships to Russia, india pulled out of the deal.
    Billions of euros lost by France, unintended consequences of the sanctions on Russia.

And the Indians found the Russian planes not fit for purpose with several of them crashing already. They probably should have stuck with the French. I know this fact won't go down well with a Russian nationalist such as yourself, but you need a more unblinkered view of the world which extends beyond your incredibly narrow "I love Russia" mindset.

Would you have a source or link for your India story by the way or did you just make it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Gatling wrote: »
    The worse part Merkel and Hollande actually believed putin was on the straight and narrow
    Did they?
    I doubt they are that naive but they may be overestimating his pragmatism.

Do you want to post actual facts .
    oddly Egypt are spending 6 billion on the jets too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Icepick wrote: »
    Did they?
    I doubt they are that naive but they may be overestimating his pragmatism.
    Or his control over the rebels. I mean it serves Putin's interests to imply he has total control over the Eastern rebels but reality may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

And the Indians found the Russian planes not fit for purpose with several of them crashing already. They probably should have stuck with the French. I know this fact won't go down well with a Russian nationalist such as yourself, but you need a more unblinkered view of the world which extends beyond your incredibly narrow "I love Russia" mindset.

Would you have a source or link for your India story by the way or did you just make it up?

He made it up. A quick google shows that India and the French manufacturers are arguing about the terms of deal - apparently the price has gone from 12 billion to 20 billion dollars, and India wants a large proportion of the planes built by a Indian company which would involve technology transfer which the French are understandably very cautious about. The deal is still live - a final yes or no is expected sometime in April.

Nothing to do with sympathy for Russian interests or the sanctions applied. India already operates Russian jets. They went with Rafale despite that, so if they were to end up with getting *more* Russian jets it would very definitely be a step down for them.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Or his control over the rebels. I mean it serves Putin's interests to imply he has total control over the Eastern rebels but reality may be different.
    Not many 'rebels' in higher ranks. The Russian army is firmly in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Gotta love how often the "the Kiev government are fascists" line gets thrown out when Russia is building links with far right parties across Europe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Lockstep wrote: »
    Gotta love how often the "the Kiev government are fascists" line gets thrown out when Russia is building links with far right parties across Europe

I don't think anyone seriously doubts that Russia has a far-right nationalist problem of it's own, nor that it is run by corrupt oligarchs who stole what wealth the have from the Russian people, the difference is that no one is pushing for Russia to join the EU or indeed NATO.

Lockstep wrote: »

It's far more accurate to say that Russia is forming links with extremist parties on both the left and the right with the aim of de-stablising Europe.

It should be a matter of course that political parties in EU member states have to declare who funds them.
    Tactically, Russia is exploiting the popular dissent against the EU – fuelled by both immigration and austerity. But as rightwing movements grow in influence across the continent, Europe must wake up to their insidious means of funding, or risk seeing its own institutions subverted.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/08/russia-europe-right-putin-front-national-eu

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

karma_ wrote: »
    I don't think anyone seriously doubts that Russia has a far-right nationalist problem of it's own, nor that it is run by corrupt oligarchs who stole what wealth the have from the Russian people, the difference is that no one is pushing for Russia to join the EU or indeed NATO.

When Putin is using the existence of these right wing groups as an excuse to intervene, then yeah, it does matter a huge deal. Particularly when he's funding other far right groups across Europe and and his own regime is extremely authoritarian, expansionist, illiberal and nationalist.

• Advertisement

It's far more accurate to say that Russia is forming links with extremist parties on both the left and the right with the aim of de-stablising Europe.

It should be a matter of course that political parties in EU member states have to declare who funds them.
    I would think Russia is more interested in trading with Europe rather than destabilising it.
    Theres a very big difference between "funding" a party and a party taking out a loan (.... and we should know all about political "funding" in this country!) It seems to me that Le Pen's FN party took out a loan from a private bank but of course "with close links to Putin" had to be thrown in.
    This article explains quite well the lies and propaganda and what really brings Putin and these right wing parties together.
    What she was trying to get across is more like the opposite of the truth than the truth, because what Putin and Europe’s anti-immigrant parties actually share is not extreme conservatism (which they don’t share at all; Putin isn’t that) but is instead more like the very opposite of that: they share a rejection of U.S. global supremacy or “hegemony”: they reject the U.S. as having a right to control their country’s policies and destinies — in other words: they reject U.S. imperialism

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/12/npr-propagandizes-putin-regime-change-russia.html

How to be a Kremlin bot - relentlessly claim post after post that war is peace and freedom is slavery. It doesn't even matter if you contradict yourself or fellow Kremlin bots.
    Obfuscation is the main goal.

Pointless trying to agree anything when one side (Russian) are incapable of telling the truth and you can't trust them. The idea the Russian side would become honest overnight is laughable. These guys lie, lie and lie again.

Icepick wrote: »
    How to be a Kremlin bot - relentlessly claim post after post that war is peace and freedom is slavery. It doesn't even matter if you contradict yourself or fellow Kremlin bots.
    Obfuscation is the main goal.

The Russians have put a huge effort into winning the social media war. Their bots as you rightly call them usually make out they live in the west and hate the west and western policies. The Russians view winning over public opinion as very important.

And the fighting continues exactly as Putin wanted and planned.
    Two days after a truce went into effect, the agreement reached at all-night talks in the Belarussian capital Minsk last Thursday was unraveling rapidly.

The Moscow-backed rebels say the ceasefire does not apply to the main battle front at the town of Debaltseve, astride a railway hub, where they have a Ukrainian military garrison surrounded. They have continued an all-out assault.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/17/us-ukraine-crisis-idUSKBN0LL0OM20150217

Looks like the sanctions will have to be ramped up against the Kremlin. The SWIFT banking system would seem to be the best vehicle to deliver a very stern message to Vladimir at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Looks like the sanctions will have to be ramped up against the Kremlin. The SWIFT banking system would seem to be the best vehicle to deliver a very stern message to Vladimir at this stage.

are you sure thats a smart thing to do assuming it can even be done. sanctions require EU unanimity. they might have an awful hard time pushing something like that through considering the possible ramifications and the current positions of some of the member states.
    Cutting Russia out of SWIFT banking system would mean ‘war’ – head of VTB:

Excluding Russia from the global SWIFT banking transactions system is another form of sanctions and would mean “war,” said Andrey Kostin, head of VTB Russia’s second largest bank, adding that should it happen Russia has a “Plan B.”

"In my personal opinion, if such a sanction is introduced it would mean war," Kostin said in an interview with Germany’s Handelsblatt newspaper. If Russian banks no longer have access to SWIFT, the American ambassador would leave Moscow the same day, he said.

However, SWIFT representatives said that they will not switch Russia off the company’s services despite political pressure, adding it has "no authority" to make unilateral sanctions decisions. The company said it can happen only if the EU takes the decision.
    http://rt.com/business/211291-swift-banking-russia-vtb/
    the biggest surprise to emerge so far out of the new anti-Troika/austerity Greek government was not so much its intention to proceed with the first test of "Odious Debt" - this was largely known in advance - but its dramatic pivot away from Germany and Europe, and toward Russia.

As we noted before, not only has Greece already blocked all ongoing privatization processes, a clear snub of Merkel and the Troika which demands the piecemeal blue light special sale of Greece to western buyers as part of the "bailout", but is also looking at plans to reinstate public sector employees and announce increased pensions for those on low incomes: further clear breaches of the Troika's austerity terms.

But the most important message that Tsipras is sending to Europe is that (after meeting the Russian ambassador first upon his election) Greece is now effectively a veto power when it comes to future Russian sanctions!

This was first hinted when the Foreign Minister Nikos Kotzias, who arrives in Brussels today to discuss possible additional sanctions on Russia over the conflict in Ukraine, said a few days ago that the Greek government disagreed with an EU statement in which President Donald Tusk raised the prospect of “further restrictive measures” on Russia. As Bloomberg observed before, in recent months, Kotzias wrote on Twitter that sanctions against Russia weren’t in Greece’s interests. He said in a blog that a new foreign policy for Greece should be focused on stopping the ongoing transformation of the EU “into an idiosyncratic empire, under the rule of Germany.”

And Europe, shocked that one of its own has dared to question its "unanimous" policy toward Russia, a policy driven by the US foreign state department whose opinion of Europe is best captured by the hacked and intercepted "**** the EU" outburst by Victoria Nuland in February 2014, has been forced to backtrack. From DPA:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-01-29/putins-unexpected-victory-germany-furious-greece-now-russian-sanctions-veto

The Minsk agreement was the last chance for Russia to save face and back out from a quagmire. That looks impossible now. They were never going to stop until they created a land bridge to Crimea.

I just don't see how longterm this benefits Russia, especially if there are more sanctions on the way. In the short term they should be fine. In the long term they become an international pariah, with a contracting economy, dwindling foreign reserves, junk bond status, low oil prices.

Putin in trying to defeat a phantom threat from NATO and the EU has instead destabilised his own economy.

A big price to pay for a small piece of land.

Debaltsevo has fallen to the rebels, they have defeated the best units the Ukrainian army had.
    The Ukrainian fourth wave of mobilization has only just begun,reports of only 6% of people responding to their call up.
    The forces at Debaltsevo were the remnants of the regular Ukrainian military.  They are now gone and Kiev junta can count on a trickle of replacements.
    Whatever equipment they brought with them to Debaltsevo is going to fall into the hands of the rebels.
    Their heavy equipment is for all intents and purposes irreplaceable. Once these tanks and artillery are gone, they are gone for good, and it will take a long time to bring the Ukrainian military back to the state it was only two months ago.
    So far the conflict is not official war, but it looks like it will have to be call one now, and with that the economy of Ukraine which is already suffering will completely collapse, Why you ask, the IMF won’t give money to a country at war.
    Its game over for Poroshenko, he has no options left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

The Minsk agreement was the last chance for Russia to save face and back out from a quagmire. That looks impossible now. They were never going to stop until they created a land bridge to Crimea.

I just don't see how longterm this benefits Russia, especially if there are more sanctions on the way. In the short term they should be fine. In the long term they become an international pariah, with a contracting economy, dwindling foreign reserves, junk bond status, low oil prices.

Putin in trying to defeat a phantom threat from NATO and the EU has instead destabilised his own economy.

A big price to pay for a small piece of land.

The Minsk agreement was always doomed to failure. how could it possibly work or hope to work when Washington wasnt a party to the talks. and the Americans are directing the Ukrainians and are making and have made policy decisions that have escalated the conflict from a Russian perspective and the conflict itself is a proxy war between Washington and Moscow. no Americans around the table there was never any hope of it working doomed from the beginning.

I dont think Putin or the Russians care about losing face its gone way beyond that stage. this is going to keep escalating unless everyone involved sits down together and gets a grip of things including the Americans. but for that to happen there has to be genuine will for it to happen. right now I dont think thats the case. theres a US battalion heading to Ukraine next month to train their soldiers. they have already supplied them with mortar radars and there is talk of supplying them with more weapons. but that could have an opposite
    than the one desired.
    WASHINGTON—The U.S. government is considering providing Javelin antitank missiles, small arms and ammunition to Ukraine, part of an effort to try to deter further aggression by Russia-backed rebels there, according to U.S. officials.

The Pentagon has long supported providing some lethal aid, but until recently the White House has signaled little interest in such a move to avoid escalating the confrontation with Russian President Vladimir Putin .
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-weighs-supplying-ukraine-with-missiles-1422918663
    The war drums are once again beating in Washington. An attention-grabbing report released by three of America's leading think tanks recommends that the United States save Ukraine by arming it. The U.S. government, the report argues, should alter its policy and begin providing lethal assistance to Ukraine's military — $3 billion over the next three years. That is serious money.

The rationale used by Washington's legion of escalation focuses on the notion of "raising the costs for Putin." If Kiev had advanced weaponry, so the argument goes, it would be able to inflict higher casualties on the Russian troops Putin has apparently sent into the Donbass to support the separatists there. Boiled down to its essence then, the idea is that an increase in Russian soldiers coming home from Ukraine in body bags will force Putin to back down to prevent a domestic backlash.

While it is easy to see the seductive simplicity of this reasoning, let's not forget that if the U.S. raises the ante, Putin will almost certainly do the same in Ukraine and elsewhere. First and foremost, the pro-escalation argument greatly underestimates the lengths Putin would be willing to go to in Ukraine.

Since the first stirrings on Kiev's Maidan, the West has consistently overlooked the tremendous importance of Ukraine to Russia. Russia views Ukraine similarly to how China looks at Taiwan: as an existential issue in which certain red lines must not be crossed.

Once we understand that Ukraine's status is an existential issue for Moscow, it is clear that Putin will never allow the separatists to be defeated — and indeed Russia possesses the military might to ensure that this never happens. In this regard, Putin possesses what analysts referred to during the Cold War as "escalation dominance," described by American nuclear strategist Herman Kahn as "a capacity, other things being equal, to enable the side possessing it to enjoy marked advantages in a given region of the escalation ladder."

Put simply, in Ukraine Putin enjoys escalation dominance at every level of the potential military escalation chain, and no amount of wishful thinking will change this fact.

Another fact overlooked by those in favor of arming Kiev is that Putin could choose to escalate asymmetrically, outside of Ukraine. Iran would be the worst case. In late January, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu visited Iran and signed a military cooperation pact with Tehran.

One item from this trip was particularly alarming. Retired Russian General Leonid Ivashov summarized the Tehran meetings, noting that "a step was taken in the direction of cooperation on the economy and arms technology, at least for such defensive systems as the S-300 and S-400. Probably we will deliver them."
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/opinion/article/if-u-s-arms-ukraine-russia-could-arm-iran/515998.html

Debaltsvo looks like it might fall by this time tomorrow with thousands of Ukrainian troops encircled somewhere though not quite sure exactly where they are.

*POROSHENKO SAYS UN MUST NOT ALLOW FULL-SCALE WAR IN EUROPE

As the game of chicken between Greece and the Eurogroup hots up, it appears another - potentially far more deadly - is escalating in Ukraine as neither side is willing to follow through on the terms of the Minsk Summit peace deal - removing heavy weaponry from the frontlines - as a key deadline passes without agreement. As The Guardian reports, The Ukrainian military have stated that "as soon as the militants cease fire, the Ukrainian side will begin to withdraw heavy weaponry from the frontline," and the pro-Russian separatists proclaim, "We do not have the right [to stop fighting for Debaltseve]," adding that as far as the truce, "we have everything ready for a mutual withdrawal. We will not do anything unilaterally – that would make our soldiers targets."

As The Guardian reports, and Interfax confirms, the situation in Debaltseve is deteriorating...
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-17/ukraine-truce-fails-withdrawal-deadline-passes-debaltseve-situation-deteriorating

peace for now looks a fair bit away.

• Advertisement

Debaltsevo has fallen to the rebels, they have defeated the best units the Ukrainian army had.
    The Ukrainian fourth wave of mobilization has only just begun,reports of only 6% of people responding to their call up.
    The forces at Debaltsevo were the remnants of the regular Ukrainian military.  They are now gone and Kiev junta can count on a trickle of replacements.
    Whatever equipment they brought with them to Debaltsevo is going to fall into the hands of the rebels.
    Their heavy equipment is for all intents and purposes irreplaceable. Once these tanks and artillery are gone, they are gone for good, and it will take a long time to bring the Ukrainian military back to the state it was only two months ago.
    So far the conflict is not official war, but it looks like it will have to be call one now, and with that the economy of Ukraine which is already suffering will completely collapse, Why you ask, the IMF won’t give money to a country at war.
    Its game over for Poroshenko, he has no options left.

Says who exactly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement