Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine on the brink of civil war. Mod Warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

WakeUp wrote: »
    I dont think you know much about China, Chinese politics or Chinese international relations. have you been paying attention. as if you did you would understand that when somebody like Qu Xing or any other foreign based Chinese diplomat for that matter makes a statement like he did then its certainly to be taken note of. not derided as you did by insinuating that he was a nobody. which says it all really. yet even though your sciolism is obviously and forwardly apparent your rudimentary reply to me, "delusional", is still amusing.

in other news...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-02/russia-warns-nato-any-threat-ukraine-will-see-military-response

You couldn't make this sh1t up. The aircraft carrier isn't even at the design stage yet. The russian finance minister said recently all major military projects will have to be postponed because of economic problems. Russia currently has one aircraft carrier that has a habit of breaking down and has never seen action. so an aircraft carrier on paper and a crocked out one against 12 modern US carriers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Some amount of hawks on this thread, literally itching for a huge war out there between Russia and NATO. Anyone who disagrees is pro-russian apparently... insane. A Mod asked recently where everyone on the other side of the debate went, they got fed up with the crap mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You couldn't make this sh1t up. The aircraft carrier isn't even at the design stage yet. The russian finance minister said recently all major military projects will have to be postponed because of economic problems. Russia currently has one aircraft carrier that has a habit of breaking down and has never seen action. so an aircraft carrier on paper and a crocked out one against 12 modern US carriers.

And the planned modernisation is planned to be finished before 2050 .

karma_ wrote: »
    Some amount of hawks on this thread, literally itching for a huge war out there between Russia and NATO. Anyone who disagrees is pro-russian apparently... insane. A Mod asked recently where everyone on the other side of the debate went, they got fed up with the crap mate.

The main hawks are on the russian side. They keep bringing up how many nukes they have and how great their army navy and airforce is. And they get upset when you question it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

The main hawks are on the russian side. They keep bringing up how many nukes they have and how great their army navy and airforce is. And they get upset when you question it.

who are these Russian hawks you speak of? "they" this and "they" that? who are they...

• Advertisement

but that isnt the important part. the important part is from the TASS article in the link on zh.
    Moscow will take all measures, including military-technical, to neutralize possible threat from NATO presence in Ukraine, Russia’s Ambassador to NATO Alexander Grushko says
    http://tass.ru/en/world/780572

thats the important part. those calling for Nato to roll into Ukraine and save day. do they still think thats a wise and smart thing to do. it never was.

but that isnt the important part. the important part is from the TASS article in the link on zh.

http://tass.ru/en/world/780572

thats the important part. those calling for Nato to roll into Ukraine and save day. do they still think thats a wise and smart thing to do. it never was.

If NATO really got involved in Ukraine, there would be a queue of Russian equipment and soldiers miles long trying to high tail it back to Russia. Its by and large a paper tiger army, great against poorly armed Ukrainian conscripts armed with old Russian equipment but not against modern armies. The Ukrainians don't even have modern anti tank missiles, hence their request for Javalins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

No one wants war but there should be consequences for invading a foreign country. Personally I'm in favor of tougher and more persistent sanctions. Next time Russia wants to march soldiers in a neighbours territory let them march barefoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If NATO really got involved in Ukraine, there would be a queue of Russian equipment and soldiers miles long trying to high tail it back to Russia. Its by and large a paper tiger army, great against poorly armed Ukrainian conscripts armed with old Russian equipment but not against modern armies. The Ukrainians don't even have modern anti tank missiles, hence their request for Javalins.

Well, we've discussed it here before.
    In land war, I don't think the west has much of an edge.

Well, we've discussed it here before.
    In land war, I don't think the west has much of an edge.

Ì reckon Nato combined with the Baltic states could easily give russia a heavy kicking .

But that argument will end up in the worst game of top trumps /willy waving ever .

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Ì reckon Nato combined with the Baltic states could easily give russia a heavy kicking .

Possibly.

Just never underestimate the cowardice & naivety of politicians.
    Politicians who for a generation have grown soft & for who, defence is something daddy in Washington worries about for them.

When you have 1 ruthless, dangerous egomaniac vs 20+ political dwarfs more terrified of the next opinion poll than actually leading, the winner is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Some amount of hawks on this thread, literally itching for a huge war out there between Russia and NATO. Anyone who disagrees is pro-russian apparently... insane.
    Russia invaded and is occupying the territory of a sovereign country that it vowed to protect.
    Russia's leaders have repeatedly said they will go to war with Nato and expressed their desire to invade and occupy more countries.
    Putin said, ‘If I want to, I can take Kiev in a fortnight.'
    So which side wants a huge war?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think anyone here is rabidly calling for conventional war.

Increased sanctions are the answer, Russia is already buckling and there's only so long Putin can keep the tough man facade up.

If it ever did come to conventional war, that's a worse disaster for Russia in the long-term. The country doesn't have the money to pay for a war it couldn't win anyway. It can't even afford the military it has now, which is badly out-dated generally speaking.

Nobody with a ounce of sense wants Nato to go to war with a madman like Putin at the helm, in any case.

Despite Russian Warnings, US Will Deploy A Battalion To Ukraine By The End Of The Week

"Before this week is up, we’ll be deploying a battalion... to the Ukraine to train Ukrainian forces for the fight that's taking place," stated US 173rd Airborne Brigade Commander Colonel Michael Foster said at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, DC on Monday. Despite earlier warnings from Russia (and claims that NATO had not agreed to any such foreign 'boots on the ground' action'), Sputnik News reports, Foster added, "what we’ve got laid out is six United States companies that will be training six Ukrainian companies throughout the summer."

This comes a week after PM David Cameron confirmed Britain will be sending 75 military personnel to help combat Russian military aggression.

Despite earlier reports from Russia's NATO envoy that, as TASS reports,

NATO has taken no decisions on sending British or any other instructors to Ukraine, Russia’s Ambassador to the North Atlantic Alliance Alexander Grushko said on Monday.

"NATO has taken no decisions on sending instructors," he told the Rossiya 24 television channel. "NATO is implementing the decisions that were taken at the political level at the Wales summit in September 2014."

Moscow will take all measures, including military-technical, to neutralize possible threat from NATO presence in Ukraine, he added.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-02/despite-russian-warnings-us-will-deploy-battalion-ukraine-end-week?page=2

the French and Germans are trying to get people around the table whilst the anglo-american axis want too and are sending soldiers in. the Americans are phucking insane.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-02/despite-russian-warnings-us-will-deploy-battalion-ukraine-end-week?page=2

the French and Germans are trying to get people around the table whilst the anglo-american axis want too and are sending soldiers in. the Americans are phucking insane.

Old news the American's announced back in the first week of February that US Army europe were sending 3 battalions to Ukraine to train the Ukrainian army .

more huff and puff from the kremlin

The US have had trainers there for nearly a year now...... Longer I think, Ukrainian forces have been on training jaunts (like Irish forces) with NATO for years.

Why are you stating the already known as some sort of invasion?

(Forgetting that the Poles, Lithuanians, French & Canadians have already done so.

Double speak.

The US have had trainers there for over a year now.

Why are you stating the already known as some sort of invasion?

(Forgetting that the Poles, Lithuanians, French & Canadians have already done so.

Double speak.

when are you going to get back to me with what I asked you...you said I think invading weaker nations is "right" for the fourth time can you please show me where I said that? before you start getting ahead of yourself. cheers.

Old news the American's announced back in the first week of February that US Army europe were sending 3 battalions to Ukraine to train the Ukrainian army .

more huff and puff from the kremlin

Why are Nato troops being sent into a non- Nato member country. The Russians have stated clearly what they are prepared to do if they deem it a threat. theres an element of the American political establishment that are clearly mentally unstable. they need to stay the phuck out of European affairs.

when are you going to get back to me with what I asked you...you said I think invading weaker nations is "right" for the fourth time can you please show me where I said that? before you start getting ahead of yourself. cheers.

Subtext hun.

When you spend hundreds of posts defending the indefensible armed with just stupid articles written by "Tyler Durden", I & no doubt many casual readers assume you consider the invasion tickety-boo.

Subtext hun.

When you spend hundreds of posts defending the indefensible armed with just stupid articles written by "Tyler Durden", I & no doubt many casual readers assume you consider the invasion tickety-boo.

Im afraid thats not good enough. back up what you stated please. thanks.

• Advertisement

Why are Nato troops being sent into a non- Nato member country. The Russians have stated clearly what they are prepared to do if they deem it a threat. theres an element of the American political establishment that are clearly mentally unstable. they need to stay the phuck out of European affairs.

Because they asked for help .

It's the Russians that are unstable

Why are Nato troops being sent into a non- Nato member country.
    To provide training assistance. (Unless Tyler Durden has told you otherwise?
    theres an element of the American political establishment that are clearly mentally unstable.
    I'm sure you have more info on Obamas mental wellbeing than us.
    they need to stay the phuck out of European affairs.
    Unless European nations don't mind of course.

Im afraid thats not good enough. back up what you stated please. thanks.

Noop.
    Folks will forgive my lack of will convincing you of what everyone else already sees.

Don't like my posts, report them.

would that be the same Nato that ran out of weapons after a month in Libya?...or are you talking about the Americans....taking on the Russians. on the Russian border. insane.

Noop.

Don't like my posts, report them.

nah, you will have to do a whole lot better than that. your posts in the main amuse me but I certainly wont be reporting them Id rather not report anyone for anything and I dont. now about what you stated...are you going to back it up or continue to revert to type when pressed like above?....

Folks will forgive my lack of will convincing you of what everyone else already sees.

folks..everyone else..huh?? how many of you are there Bojack? do you have multiple personalities or something.. am I talking to you directly...or you and your "gang"?...

are you going to back it up or continue to revert to type when pressed like above?....

I don't need to, you will do that for me!

Your next hundred posts here in support of Russia will show more than I ever could!

I don't need to, you will do that for me!

Your next hundred posts here in support of Russia will show more than I ever could!

you can add that also to me thinking invading weaker nations is "right". you keep making statements on my behalf. back them up please.

would that be the same Nato that ran out of weapons after a month in Libya?...or are you talking about the Americans....taking on the Russians. on the Russian border. insane.

Don't believe that for one minute ,

I'm talking about Nato and the combined Baltic states ,
    It's not insane russians are not as good as some on here are suggesting the majority of there forces are conscripts .
    Faced with modern and extremely well trained forces the fight won't be the one sided affair your fearing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Don't believe that for one minute ,

I'm talking about Nato and the combined Baltic states ,
    It's not insane russians are not as good as some on here are suggesting the majority of there forces are conscripts .
    Faced with modern and extremely well trained forces the fight won't be the one sided affair your fearing

Which countries would be providing these "modern and extremely well trained forces"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement