Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine on the brink of civil war. Mod Warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

jimeryan22 wrote: »
    Ill answer this for you no problem... In my own humble opinion Putin is playing the long game, he's not stupid enough like everyone seems to think to just go invading Ukraine, well I can't see it.. I more see him sitting back, let the IMF **** Ukraine like everywhere else and wait to dig them out as it were.. My opinion of course.. But I don't see Putin making moves like what's been made out everywhere.. You tell me seeing as you are so sure..?

And is he right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭jimeryan22

gandalf wrote: »
    And Russia carved up Poland in agreement with the Germans? Your point is?

You have heard of Katyn. It appears that you are suffering from selective history amnesia.

You also should note that I said the US are not going to make a mistake again that costs them more lives in the long run. Its better for them to face down the Nationalistic Bully now rather than a more emboldened one later ;)

Your not right in the head mate.. You make no sense... You said about the big I ams America jumping into the war because of nationalism.. Which as I said. You were wrong... And yet again, like I said the first time.. America is probably the most nationalistic country on the earth.. So what are you talking about.. They'll stop nobody.. They're more likely to have a second revolution pal.. Obamas approvals in the toilet, and he's becoming dictortorial with his "presidential orders"... Selective history amnesia..? Good one. Lol...

And is he right?

Come on mate. Don't try and put words in my mouth... I by no means romanticise Putin... He's a joke gangster like the rest... But, no matter, He didn't start all this, and he hasn't threatened anybody...

Nice sidestep Jimeryan22.This is an armed insurrection mainly being perpetrated by outside forces. The government of the Ukraine have an obligation to maintain their legitimate borders and integrity by confronting these armed elements and unfortunately when these mercenaries hide within the civilian population then innocents will be killed.

So you classify missile systems, anti-aircraft guns and armoured vehicles as small arms :rolleyes:

Straight question to you jimeryan22, do you agree with the Russians leaving the border open, allowing men and weapons to pour into another country like they currently are with Eastern Ukraine?

Oh yeah before I forget... The thing you said about weapons pouring in is also wrong... They've plenty in the country already.......

http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2014/06/sending-weapons-ukraine-wont-help/85666/?oref=d-channelriver

Come on mate. Don't try and put words in my mouth... I by no means romanticise Putin... He's a joke gangster like the rest... But, no matter, He didn't start all this, and he hasn't threatened anybody...

So you're saying that Russians are innocent bystanders then?

• Advertisement

Your not right in the head mate.. You make no sense... You said about the big I ams America jumping into the war because of nationalism.. Which as I said. You were wrong... And yet again, like I said the first time.. America is probably the most nationalistic country on the earth.. So what are you talking about.. They'll stop nobody.. They're more likely to have a second revolution pal.. Obamas approvals in the toilet, and he's becoming dictortorial with his "presidential orders"... Selective history amnesia..? Good one. Lol...

Hang on you brought the discussion back to the US during Ww2 and I provided a link showing Russia engaged in far worse behaviour and you now deem it out of bounds. If you don't want to discuss past indegressions then don't go there.

Oh yeah before I forget... The thing you said about weapons pouring in is also wrong... They've plenty in the country already.......

http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2014/06/sending-weapons-ukraine-wont-help/85666/?oref=d-channelriver

That doesn't prove weapons aren't being supplied by Russia though now does it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Yellow card for being rude and aggressive...red card for being rude and aggressive...next up is a short ban (say 3 days) for being rude and aggressive.

Word of advice: when you find yourself typing "mate" or "pal" in a post, step away from the keyboard.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Yeah they did yeah... That's why the new guy. Chocolate king worked as one of yanukovychs buddy's, look it up.. And is also just as corrupt.. Again look it up...

Candidates from all spectrums applied, including far-right, Communist and pro-Russian

The elections that have been held were widely seen as fair and transparent

The Ukrainians have voted this guy in and it doesn't matter how rich he is, JFK was rich - what matters is if he will help fix Ukraine and bring them a better future

If he doesn't, you can be very sure they will have no qualms about ejecting him - and he knows that
    If you can't understand the nuland/ngo's/link. Us involvement I can't help you jonny.. I'll find ngo's for you now then I'm done.. Same old **** on this thread and it's getting real boring

What has this particular NGO actually done in Ukraine that you are so opposed to?

So you're saying that Russians are innocent bystanders then?

Did I...? No I didn't. Read my last post again... And please, stop trying to know how someone else thinks... Your a mile off

• Advertisement

Did I...? No I didn't. Read my last post again... And please, stop trying to know how someone else thinks... Your a mile off

I'm just trying to figure out why you cannot see that Russia's actions are not helping the situation in Eastern Ukraine but are making it far worse and far more dangerous for the Ukrainians they claim to "care" about and making Europe far more dangerous for us Europeans. The biggest bad bear at the moment is not America.

I'm just trying to figure out why you cannot see that Russia's actions are not helping the situation in Eastern Ukraine but are making it far worse and far more dangerous for the Ukrainians they claim to "care" about and making Europe far more dangerous for us Europeans. The biggest bad bear at the moment is not America.
    I've never said at any point in this entire thread that Russia is not without its own blame in all this... But I am no Russian sympathiser I've just seen again throughout this whole thread nothing but anti Russian sentiment... That's pretty sickening, as is the west is without shame in this... People have done nothing but talk up us and eu as if they're are saints... They're as corrupt.. I just don't live in this little perfect eu world where we in the west are the goodies and Russians the baddies... I mean. It's kiddie ****.. Surely people can use their brain cells and see it's not so black and white... And with the stuff coming out over the past months with regards to the us's actions I won't pretend ...
    I was in the army long enough to see my share of **** in the world in multiple country's around the world... So I won't pretend any of them are any good... Corrupt elite leading us ALL to a very dark part of history.. I won't defend them while they do it.. And point fingers at other nations peoples...

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Candidates from all spectrums applied, including far-right, Communist and pro-Russian

The elections that have been held were widely seen as fair and transparent

The Ukrainians have voted this guy in and it doesn't matter how rich he is, JFK was rich - what matters is if he will help fix Ukraine and bring them a better future

If he doesn't, you can be very sure they will have no qualms about ejecting him - and he knows that

What has this particular NGO actually done in Ukraine that you are so opposed to?

I mentioned his corruption jinny. Not his money... Again. Look up his history

I've never said at any point in this entire thread that Russia is not without its own blame in all this... But I am no Russian sympathiser I've just seen again throughout this whole thread nothing but anti Russian sentiment... That's pretty sickening, as is the west is without shame in this... People have done nothing but talk up us and eu as if they're are saints... They're as corrupt.. I just don't live in this little perfect eu world where we in the west are the goodies and Russians the baddies... I mean. It's kiddie ****.. Surely people can use their brain cells and see it's not so black and white... And with the stuff coming out over the past months with regards to the us's actions I won't pretend ...
    I was in the army long enough to see my share of **** in the world in multiple country's around the world... So I won't pretend any of them are any good... Corrupt elite leading us ALL to a very dark part of history.. I won't defend them while they do it.. And point fingers at other nations peoples...

Ok let me state this for one last time.

I don't see proof US boots on the ground in the Ukraine. I don't see proof that EU boots are on the ground in the Ukraine. There is plenty of proof that there are Russian boots on the ground. Some of the major players in the Pro-Russian Sepratist movement are RUSSIAN. There is nothing simplistic or childlike about that. It is a fact. You seem to have issues with accepting these facts and condemning this and are intent on throwing up smokescreens about a corrupt world elite conspiracy.

Hang on you brought the discussion back to the US during Ww2 and I provided a link showing Russia engaged in far worse behaviour and you now deem it out of bounds. If you don't want to discuss past indegressions then don't go there.

Sorry..? I think you'll find, you brought the conversation to ww1 with your statement... Not me..

Your statement:
    What I am seeing is a mirror of a situation we had in Europe 76 years ago where a country wanted to rebuild an Empire it had lost and the other powers in place ignored them and millions of people paid the ultimate price.

I don't see proof US boots on the ground in the Ukraine. I don't see proof that EU boots are on the ground in the Ukraine. There is plenty of proof that there are Russian boots on the ground. Some of the major players in the Pro-Russian Sepratist movement are RUSSIAN. There is nothing simplistic or childlike about that. It is a fact. You seem to have issues with accepting these facts and condemning this and are intent on throwing up smokescreens about a corrupt world elite conspiracy.

And you said to me I don't read..?
    Where did I say us or eu boots on ground...???????? Show me
    Of course there is Russians there it's in their back garden for Christ sake...
    I'm intent on no such thing.. You just keep misquoting don't you

Sorry..? I think you'll find, you brought the conversation to ww1 with your statement... Not me..

BTW that's WW2 and as a comparison it is extremely valid where a aggressive nationalistic country laid claim and took over territory in another country without the permission of that country.

A very valid and apt comparison.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/461770/Expert-likens-possible-Putin-action-on-Ukraine-to-Hitler-s-1938-move-on-Czechoslovakia

And you said to me I don't read..?
    Where did I say us or eu boots on ground...???????? Show me
    Of course there is Russians there it's in their back garden for Christ sake...
    I'm intent on no such thing.. You just keep misquoting don't you

You're seem to be implying that its the US and EU's fault that this situation exists. The country outside the Ukraine that is most responsible for this mess is Russia and thank you I take this statement as your admission of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

It was plenty Irish volunteers fighting during Spanish war - should Ireland be blamed for support of pro-Stalin regime?

You're seem to be implying that its the US and EU's fault that this situation exists. The country outside the Ukraine that is most responsible for this mess is Russia and thank you I take this statement as your admission of this.

You do that. You've been taking what you want from what I say all along anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Yes, they are Russian - ethnic Russians born and bred in Eastern Ukraine who fear with justification the extreme nationalists in the Kiev government.
    The US is too smart to put "boots on the ground" in Ukraine but they certainly have "advisors" aka CIA lurking in the background. By the way the Provisional IRA waged a campaign for years by smuggling weapons from the Republic into Northern Ireland without the complicity and support of any Dublin government. It is very easy to smuggle weapons across a border if an organization is dedicated to a cause.
    * It is NOT my intention to debate the NI conflict.

BTW that's WW2 and as a comparison it is extremely valid where a aggressive nationalistic country laid claim and took over territory in another country without the permission of that country.

A very valid and apt comparison.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/461770/Expert-likens-possible-Putin-action-on-Ukraine-to-Hitler-s-1938-move-on-Czechoslovakia

Like I said. YOU brought it up... Not me... And it's in no way comparable so carry on...

Yes, they are Russian - ethnic Russians born and bred in Eastern Ukraine who fear with justification the extreme nationalists in the Kiev government.
    The US is too smart to put "boots on the ground" in Ukraine but they certainly have "advisors" aka CIA lurking in the background. By the way the Provisional IRA waged a campaign for years by smuggling weapons from the Republic into Northern Ireland without the complicity and support of any Dublin government. It is very easy to smuggle weapons across a border if an organization is dedicated to a cause.
    * It is NOT my intention to debate the NI conflict.

And the Chechens are they there as well?

What about Russian citizens like Aleksandr Borodai, Aleksandr Mozhayev and Igor Girkin all in the thick of action?

Its very easy to smuggle arms across the border when Russia is complicit in the whole operation you mean ;)

Like I said. YOU brought it up... Not me... And it's in no way comparable so carry on...

It is totally comparable to the current situation. In fact it nearly appears as an exact mirror of the operation 76 years ago.

It is totally comparable to the current situation. In fact it nearly appears as an exact mirror of the operation 76 years ago.

No. No it doesn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vadzen

It is cheap show...
    If Putin is so independent and against USA and NATO:
    why did Putin allowed to open USA military base in Ulyanovsk???!!!
    why does Putin keep his daughters abroad safety?
    why does Putin keep Russian money in USA?
    why does Putin keep so close Ben Lazar?
    why did Obama not block Putin visa to USA?
    Questions for thinking (not repeating other words) people only. I am not waiting for answers.

War is good choice to switch attention from internal economical and political problems outside.

In this political show people, include civilian people, are dying, really dying.
    Reason for that is just 1. They have voted for independence from Ukraine and Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I mentioned his corruption jinny. Not his money... Again. Look up his history
    Yeah they did yeah... That's why the new guy. Chocolate king worked as one of yanukovychs buddy's, look it up.. And is also just as corrupt.. Again look it up...

He wasn't "Yanukovych's buddy", you appear to be mixing up names at this point

I doubt he's squeaky clean, likewise I doubt the Ukrainian majority who overwhelming voted for him over the other candidates are in the dark about his past.

But claiming he is "just as corrupt" as a man who has stolen billions and is wanted by several countries on serious laundering charges is perhaps a bit over the top

We'll see how he performs - he'll certainly be under a lot of scrutiny, and he's in a very un-enviable position of trying to right a wrecked economy in one of the most corrupt countries in the world, even more so than their powerful neighbour who appear to be doing everything in their power to destabilise Ukraine

Ukrainians have had to sit there and watch neighbours like Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, even Romania grow at an almost exponential rate - while they have remained relatively one of the worst performing countries in the region, and that includes an effing dictatorship next door - they've had close ties with Russia for 20 years and it's led to little or no growth, they want to try Europe

Apparently doing so is some sort of crime under Russia's eyes whom appear to view Ukraine as a restless province to be punitively punished rather than the sovereign country which they are

The people of Ukraine have democratically chosen a man who is choosing to do more business with the "West". They are an independent country and it's clearly their right to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

interesting to note that chocolate king President Porochenko has declared that he has no intention of selling his own private TV Channel 5.
    Why oh why would the President of a European democracy want his own private TV channel? ....... plus ca change! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] Putin [...] didn't start all this, and he hasn't threatened anybody...
    Getting back to this thread a little late, and I suspect it's pointless to do so, but you seem entirely unaware that (a) Russia invaded Crimea and (b) the Duma has passed legislation "permitting" the Russian army to invade mainland Ukraine and (c) the Russian border with Ukraine seems unusually porous to hundreds of heavily armed militants - something quite odd in a country with Russia's reputation for blocking easy travel in and out of the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement