Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine on the brink of civil war. Mod Warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

sin_city wrote: »
    Last I checked Siberia was in Russia. I’m sure they can deal with the grumbling in Moscow.

In the same way Crimea is in Ukraine?

DO you know what a "federation" is?

;)

I’m sure they can deal with the grumbling in Moscow..

By introducing censorship and closing down the free press.

You'd be happy about that no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What else do they have?

Potatoes and vodka.

Other than Oil….this is where you show your ignorance:

Russia supplies about 30% of Europe’s gas…they have just signed a $20 billion gat deal with China.
    Russia accounts for around 20 percent of the world's production of oil and natural gas.

How are those "other than oil"???

Seeing as you enjoy the personal comments, you're showing a remarkable lack of intelligence.

:confused:

What is the US’s biggest export? Probably US dollars….guess how that has been going over the last few years?
    Wonder what will happen when it loses the reserve status….well check out how the British did after they lost it?

Why do you have to compare everything to the US? Feeling inferior?

But seeing as you ask, just to start with the closest stuff:

Probably the chip that's powering your computer right now, the operating system that its using and the browser you're using to access boards.ie

And while your phone might be from a Japanese company I'd take a wild guess that the OS is from the USA.

AM I right?

But back to Russia...

They have vodka, and magnesium? Wohoo.

Oh and they sold a few ships to the French. Go france.

:pac:

• Advertisement

I hope I’ve answered you’re query and maybe next time you’ll be more knowledgeable.

Its "your" not "you're".

But maybe you're russian grammar checker screwed up?

What an ignorant post.

Does Russia make anything? Airplanes, not sure….Warships yes…they recently sold some to France. I’m sure you knew that.

I hope I’ve answered you’re query and maybe next time you’ll be more knowledgeable.

No, you haven't answered at all.

Unless all Russia makes is warships??

Can you name one product in your bedsit that is made in Russia? Just one.

Even a component of another product?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Oh and they sold a few ships to the French. Go france.

Actually it's the other way around, the Russians bought some helicopter carriers from the french, the first is due to be delivered in the next few months.
    http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/746775

Actually it's the other way around, the Russians bought some helicopter carriers from the french, the first is due to be delivered in the next few months.

That's so sad. They cant even build a Helicopter carrier.

:D

I pity the poor bastards who have to fly in a Russian helicopter.

Maybe they could buy some from the united states?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

In the same way Crimea is in Ukraine?

DO you know what a "federation" is?

;)

Was only part of Ukraine for a few decades and is nearly completely Russian, hence the very small number of deaths due to it becoming part of Russia again

Really funny….you trying to be condescending to me on what federation is when you clearly had your head up your arse on Russian exports.

What does Australia make, make does Brazil make, what does Pakistan make? Who cares…does a country have to manufacture when it has all the necessary raw materials?

No, that’s why they will trade Manufacturing countries like Germany and China want access to Russia’s resources so they trade with them.

What do Western countries in the G8 make outside of Germany and Japan?

I would argue that the US’s manufacturing industry has been dying a slow death and outside of armaments the US does not manufacture anything near what it should.

The US has a large military which supports its monopoly and the monopoly its companies have worldwide….and it still runs a trade deficit…Do you even know what that means long term?
    Actually it's the other way around, the Russians bought some helicopter carriers from the French, the first is due to be delivered in the next few months.

My bad, I assumed it was the other way around as Russia is the largest arms exporter in the world with the US second.
    Thanks for calling me up on it.

Seeing as you enjoy the personal comments, you're showing a remarkable lack of intelligence.

I gave a huge list…for the record platinum and iron are defined as other than oil.
    Why do you have to compare everything to the US? Feeling inferior?

No, because the USD is the reserve currency at the moment and the US is currently the world’s only superpower…That’s why
    But seeing as you ask, just to start with the closest stuff:

Probably the chip that's powering your computer right now, the operating system that its using and the browser you're using to access boards.ie

Intel only have one Assembly test location in the US so it’s likely the chip came from outside of there.
    The OS? Isn’t Firefox open source. Thought that was free…Yes I know Apple are a big company but does that help the average American…who really manufactures their stuff.

By the way, Last I checked most of the largest companies in the world were oil companies and Russia has a lot of oil…That’s why Gazprom is the third most profitable company in the world…The American and British get their oil from other places by overthrowing countries and taking the oil.

I guess in the end you are supporting the overthrow of democratically elected governments in order to give Western companies the ability to steal their resources.

Overthrow of Iran so BP and the US oil companies could get the oil there….Iraq, Libya, Guatemala…Bananas?...It goes on and on….. Right up to the overthrowing of Ukraine

• Advertisement

So all that's a roundabout way of admitting that Russia doesn't actually make anything?

So all that's a roundabout way of admitting that Russia doesn't actually make anything?

You're right...they don't make as much as they do in Bangladesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:
    What an ignorant post.

Does Russia make anything? Airplanes, not sure….Warships yes…they recently sold some to France. I’m sure you knew that.

Its "your" not "you're".

But maybe you're russian grammar checker screwed up?

Cut out the smart alec replies thank you. Last warning on this.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Equal measure hilarious - equal measure incredible.

Thinking the world really is that stupid, Russia is offering "peace keeping" troops to be deployed to east Ukraine.

How noble!
    AFP reports that the forces of the Russian-led CSTO military alliance are ready if needed for a peacekeeping operation, a senior official said Friday, as pro-Kremlin fighters were beating back Kiev's troops in eastern Ukraine.

Troops from the Collective Security Treaty Organisation "are ready to participate in peacekeeping operations no matter how difficult," its chief Nikolai Bordyuzha was quoted as saying by RIA-Novosti news agency.

He said CSTO leaders could decide to deploy peacekeepers "on the territory of a member state or beyond."

In addition to Russia the CSTO includes Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kirgyzstan and Tajikistan.

Russia has previously intervened in conflicts in the region calling its troops peacekeepers, including in Moldova and Georgia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/11062950/Ukraine-Russia-crisis-live.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Yes, it is stupid - peace keeping duties should be left to NATO. Nobody can deliver peace better than NATO.

Yes, it is stupid - peace keeping duties should be left to NATO. Nobody can deliver peace better than NATO.

Well, the UN would be my choice.
    But I defer to your expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The offer is interesting, but unlikely to be workable. Peacekeeping requires allowing the O/P the first step and responding with the minimum amount of force necessary as distinct from peace-enforcement. There's a world of difference between both. Given what's been going on in Ukraine, I can't really expect Russian forces to take up duty in a P/K role there, due to Russia being one of the players on the ground. Russia has fulfilled UN-P/K duty in Europe in the past but this time they are part of the problem, not likely to fit into the P/K role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

As said UN peacekeepers would be preferential though I'm sure Russia would veto that proposal if it was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm how does a country act as Peace Keepers against their own troops aggressive actions :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

When it comes to stoping a well armed force, NATO would be my preference too. The UN have a record of running away when confronted with a minimally armed force. I don't believe the UN has one fighter jet of its own. It's dependent on powerful individual nations to enfore its will. The problem is when the UN requests these nations to act on its behalf, people immediately accuse these nations of acting alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Equal measure hilarious - equal measure incredible.

Thinking the world really is that stupid, Russia is offering "peace keeping" troops to be deployed to east Ukraine.

How noble!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/11062950/Ukraine-Russia-crisis-live.html

They encourage and foment conflict and then offer their own troops as peacekeepers. You couldn't make it up.

I really think Putin has lost it. Years of being surrounded by Yes men has finally left him thinking he can do as he pleases anywhere.

realweirdo wrote: »
    They encourage and foment conflict and then offer their own troops as peacekeepers. You couldn't make it up.

I really think Putin has lost it. Years of being surrounded by Yes men has finally left him thinking he can do as he pleases anywhere.

Of course...he's the new boogie man in the western press...difference between him and Saddam Hussein or Bin Laden is that Russia won't take that crap that was thrown at say the likes of Libya or Iraq.

What you don't need to make up is Victoria Nuland arranging who she wants in the Ukraine cabinet after the Western backed coup overthrew the government...you didn't need to make it up because you can hear the phone calls.

Putin is no saint but you must see it's not a case of good guys vs bad guys.

What you don't need to make up is Victoria Nuland.

Aah yes.... Vicky.

The most powerful woman on earth the conspiracy folk would have us believe.

Who knew a former deputy at the US dept of foreign affairs could weild the power of nations!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Of course...he's the new boogie man in the western press...difference between him and Saddam Hussein or Bin Laden is that Russia won't take that crap that was thrown at say the likes of Libya or Iraq.

What you don't need to make up is Victoria Nuland arranging who she wants in the Ukraine cabinet after the Western backed coup overthrew the government...you didn't need to make it up because you can hear the phone calls.

Putin is no saint but you must see it's not a case of good guys vs bad guys.

Oh please, only one nation is flooding the Ukraine with military hardware and troops and that is Vladimir Putins Russia.

Saddam Hussein was a "boogie man" for a very good reason.

Bin Laden was a "boogie man" for a very good reason.

So by your logic Putin has a very good reason to be christened the new boogie man. Violating International Law and invading your neighbour does tend to get you labelled as a rogue nation alright.

gandalf wrote: »
    Oh please, only one nation is flooding the Ukraine with military hardware and troops and that is Vladimir Putins Russia.

Saddam Hussein was a "boogie man" for a very good reason.

Bin Laden was a "boogie man" for a very good reason.

So by your logic Putin has a very good reason to be christened the new boogie man. Violating International Law and invading your neighbour does tend to get you labelled as a rogue nation alright.

But.... But .... Vicky made a phone call....she said a naughty word about the EU!
    She threw some cash at some political parties & handed out cookies.... !

Surely that's easily equivalent with annexing your neighbours territory, killing & injuring thousands and (perhaps) bringing down a civilian airliner....

They are comparable surely?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Just when you think Kiev cant be any dumber than they already are.Ukraine the joke that just keeps giving. threatening to turn off European energy from Russia because thats a potentially really smart thing to do. idiots. now this.

Ukraine to request Nato membership:

Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseny Yatsenyuk said today (29 August) that his government will introduce a proposal in Parliament to change the non-aligned status of the country, and to request membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
    http://www.euractiv.com/sections/global-europe/ukraine-request-nato-membership-308084?

good luck with that. tick dafuq tock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

WakeUp wrote: »
    Ukraine to request Nato membership: good luck with that. tick dafuq tock.

If I get to vote on it it's a no, nein, never.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    If I get to vote on it it's a no, nein, never.

Do you think you will be?

WakeUp wrote: »
    good luck with that. tick dafuq tock.

Yeah..... Can't see that being on anyone's priority list anytime soon!

• Advertisement

But.... But .... Vicky made a phone call....she said a naughty word about the EU!
    She threw some cash at some political parties & handed out cookies.... !

Surely that's easily equivalent with annexing your neighbours territory, killing & injuring thousands and (perhaps) bringing down a civilian airliner....

They are comparable surely?!?
    Aah yes.... Vicky.

The most powerful woman on earth the conspiracy folk would have us believe.

Who knew a former deputy at the US dept of foreign affairs could weild the power of nations!

Is that an attempt to win an argument?

Once you say "conspiracy theory" it's an attempt to discredit the opposing view. You may not know it but you are enacting CIA memo# 1035-960

Only morons cared about Victoria Nuland swearing....that was what the BBC highlighted. The issue of the call is who she is arranging to be in the government. Arseniy Yatsenyuk was who she wanted to be in charge....who is in charge by the way? "Biden's willing"...wonder why she said that?

Ok, regarding the killing...how many died in the Crimea due to Russia taking over that area?

If you want a serious debate then please leave the conspiracy stuff out....People like you shout it out when people question the gas attack in Syria, the WMDs in Iraq, the babies in the incubators in the first gulf war....and so on.....you go missing when the truth comes out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement