Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine on the brink of civil war. Mod Warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

mmmcake wrote: »
    Has there been any real proof of a russian invasion, you know good videos or photos or are you happy with some stranger on facebook saying it happened.
    The satellite pictures released by NATO look well dodgy,left over black and white ww2 reconnaissance pictures,with a nice layer of vaseline over the lense. Google earth has better quality photos of the cars outside my house.
    The was a expert on the tv and in his opinion he can see that some people appear to be wearing what looks to be russian army clothing, that to me means nothing, sure i can go to a army surplus store tomorrow and get dressed head to toe in army clothes.So if you saw me walking around ireland tomorrow dressed in army clothes would you consider that proof of a invasion.
    It appears to be that the ukraine army is taking a beating from a rag tag bunch of rebels and are trying to save face by claiming they have been invaded by russia.

The very latest Russian artillery , armoured vehicles in there 100's .air defence systems , drones .
    and special forces only issued gear .

They found these in an army surplus store ?
    Currently there are no listing for army surplus stores in eastern Ukraine .

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

WakeUp wrote: »
    I want to see this sorted out through talking and diplomacy.
    ...by the West. If Russia wants to go ahead and annex a few more former Soviet republics while the West talks, who cares? They're not our problem. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/05/nato-4000-rapid-reaction-force-baltics-russia
    christalmighty you couldn't make it up! This is the result of the NATO summit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...by the West. If Russia wants to go ahead and annex a few more former Soviet republics while the West talks, who cares? They're not our problem. Apparently.

well the west have involved themselves havent they?..so they are a now a party to this. Ill point this out for the I dont know how many time but Ukraine is neither a member of the EU nor of Nato..right so,,,whats the plan then?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/05/nato-4000-rapid-reaction-force-baltics-russia
    christalmighty you couldn't make it up! This is the result of the NATO summit.

I know. NATO members agreeing to help each other. Shocking :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well the west have involved themselves havent they?..so they are a now a party to this. Ill point this out for the I dont know how many time but Ukraine is neither a member of the EU nor of Nato..right so,,,whats the plan then?...

Hopefully tight squeezing sanctions till russia withdraws unconditionally from Ukraine and allow Ukrainians to decide there own countries fate .
    Ukraine will most likely then apply to join the EU and or NATO.

Now what would happen if either happened would be down to how desperate the Russians want half or all of Ukraine,
    Let's hope we don't get to find out

Gatling wrote: »
    Hopefully tight squeezing sanctions till russia withdraws unconditionally from Ukraine and allow Ukrainians to decide there own countries fate .
    Ukraine will most likely then apply to join the EU and or NATO.

Now what would happen if either happened would be down to how desperate the Russians want half or all of Ukraine,
    Let's hope we don't get to find out

You cant bully Russia. you cant bully a nuclear power. so these sanctions that are designed to try and bully and intimidate Russia to come around are not going to work. ever. Ukraine will never be in Nato at least not Ukraine as an entire unit. Putin is waiting for Winter. when the gas is cut and the Ukrainians start freezing to death among other things I give them a week before they have no choice but to sit down with the Russians. they should talk to them now before the snows set in.

You cant bully Russia. you cant bully a nuclear power. so these sanctions that are designed to try and bully and intimidate Russia to come around are not going to work. ever. Ukraine will never be in Nato at least not Ukraine as an entire unit. Putin is waiting for Winter. when the gas is cut and the Ukrainians start freezing to death among other things I give them a week before they have no choice but to sit down with the Russians. they should talk to them now before the snows set in.

No see the EU will supply Ukraine with fuel remember this isn't the first time russia has threatened to turn off the heating it's been a regular occurance for kiev since the orange revolution the original uprising in Ukraine,
    I ask if russia won't be bullied why should russia be allowed to bully Ukraine .

No see the EU will supply Ukraine with fuel remember this isn't the first time russia has threatened to turn off the heating it's been a regular occurance for kiev since the orange revolution the original uprising in Ukraine,
    I ask if russia won't be bullied why should russia be allowed to bully Ukraine .

no but you see they wont. how is the EU going to supply Ukraine with fuel if they sanction they very people providing us with the energy? and in turn those very same people go actually alright fair enough so phuck you too and turn off the gas. and what if they decide to turn it off anyway. where is the energy going to come from. if we have supply issues here in the EU no gas will be leaving the union in reverse flows or whatever, that much is obvious. look I understand that Russia shouldnt be allowed to bully Ukraine and all that and I agree but the west is trying to bully nuclear armed Russia. that isnt going to work. not now not ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

no but you see they wont. how is the EU going to supply Ukraine with fuel if they sanction they very people providing us with the energy? and in turn those very same people go actually alright fair enough so phuck you too and turn off the gas. and what if they decide to turn it off anyway. where is the energy going to come from. if we have supply issues here in the EU no gas will be leaving the union in reverse flows or whatever, that much is obvious. look I understand that Russia shouldnt be allowed to bully Ukraine and all that and I agree but the west is trying to bully nuclear armed Russia. that isnt going to work. not now not ever.

You do realise that Russia needs to sell it's fuel to survive too, right? WHile it would have a pretty negative impact on Europe in the short term if Russia cut off supply, it would only serve as an impetus to source other options to meet that need and ultimately leave Russia in an economically worse position than it is in now.

• Advertisement

What I'm seeing in your posts in Russia has nukes there for we all bow before them , let them have half of Ukraine or all of if they want it's a necessary evil .
    then the can roll into the cocky Baltic states as one misinformed poster calls them under the guise of protecting Russian speakers .

Once a bully starts hurting people there is only one way to make them stop you stand up hit back hard .The Russia economy is heading for a downward spiral as it is .
    Sooner or later the Russian public will want to know why they have been isolated

You do realise that Russia needs to sell it's fuel to survive too, right? WHile it would have a pretty negative impact on Europe in the short term if Russia cut off supply, it would only serve as an impetus to source other options to meet that need and ultimately leave Russia in an economically worse position than it is in now.

with all due respect, I would suggest you have this wrong. yes Russia will hurt if it cuts off European supply. but Russia can still survive. Europe on the other hand deprived of energy, that will have all sorts of severe implications. a pretty negative impact. yeah you could say that. serve as an impetus? source other options? where is this magic supply of energy going to come from in the short to medium term? short to medium being years. where?..tell me please.. because I keep hearing this and no one can give me an answer that makes sense and isnt a fairy tale. whatever about Europe, Ukraine, for their own sake need to start talking to the Russians.

Putins Trump Card in Ukraine: Winter is coming:

As Putin pushes Ukraine to bend to his will and allow greater independence to Russian-backed separatists in the country's southeast, the Russian president holds a trump card: Winter is coming.

“I think that nobody thinks of [winter] anymore, except Russia,” Putin said on Sunday, according to The New York Times. “There are ways of helping resolve the issue. First, to immediately stop hostilities and start restoring the necessary infrastructure. To start replenishing reserves, conducting the necessary repair operations and preparing for the cold season.”

Geysar Gurbanov, a Rotary international world peace fellow currently at Harvard, recently explained the leverage that Putin has over Ukraine as the temperature drops.

"According to the U.S. Energy Information Agency, [Ukraine's] primary energy consumption is fueled by natural gas (40%) and coal (28%)," Gurbanov writes in The Duke Chronicle. "With winter coming to Ukraine in less than four months and the coal mines located in the easternmost part of the country ravaged by conflict, Ukrainians will freeze in their homes as their gas supplies from Russia are depleted. Therefore, if the rebels fail to achieve their goal, Gazprom, Russia’s energy giant, will help Putin to win the war eventually."

So Putin's remark could be interpreted as a veiled threat signaling that if Ukraine's army doesn't back down against the separatists (and embedded Russian soldiers), then Moscow will use gas as a weapon.
    In 2013, Russian gas accounted for half of the total gas consumed in Ukraine. On June 16, Russia cut off gas supplies to Ukraine over unpaid bills. Earlier this month, Gazprom said that Ukraine's outstanding debt for gas supplies stood at $5.3 billion as of Aug. 1.

Moscow has already said that Ukraine would have to prepay for future gas shipments unless Kiev begins payments on accumulated debts. The EU is currently trying to broker a deal that would allow shipments to resume temporarily.

In any case, Putin has the upper hand as Ukraine's gas reserves run out as winter sets in.

“Can Ukraine now survive without Russian gas? No, it can’t," Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk said earlier this month, according to RIA Novosti.

http://www.businessinsider.com/putins-ukraine-trump-card-winter-2014-8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD REMINDER:
    Some posts have wandered off-topic as often happens in a long thread. Our original topic was "Ukraine on the brink of civil war," so a focus on the Urkaine in someway would be appreciated. Thanks.

What I'm seeing in your posts in Russia has nukes there for we all bow before them , let them have half of Ukraine or all of if they want it's a necessary evil .
    then the can roll into the cocky Baltic states as one misinformed poster calls them under the guise of protecting Russian speakers .

Once a bully starts hurting people there is only one way to make them stop you stand up hit back hard .The Russia economy is heading for a downward spiral as it is .
    Sooner or later the Russian public will want to know why they have been isolated

you can see what you like in my posts, with all due respect , I dont give a sh1t. you said to me "you see" the EU will do this and that and supply the Ukraine with fuel should supply come under threat or be interrupted. thats nonsense fairyland stuff. Im merely pointing out the reality of the situation should it happen. The Russian economy may well be heading on a downward spiral but so to will Europes if this escalates and continues on this path.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

with all due respect, I would suggest you have this wrong. yes Russia will hurt if it cuts off European supply. but Russia can still survive. Europe on the other hand deprived of energy, that will have all sorts of severe implications. a pretty negative impact. yeah you could say that. serve as an impetus? source other options? where is this magic supply of energy going to come from in the short to medium term? short to medium being years. where?..tell me please.. because I keep hearing this and no one can give me an answer that makes sense and isnt a fairy tale. whatever about Europe, Ukraine, for their own sake need to start talking to the Russians.

Putins Trump Card in Ukraine: Winter is coming:

As Putin pushes Ukraine to bend to his will and allow greater independence to Russian-backed separatists in the country's southeast, the Russian president holds a trump card: Winter is coming.

“I think that nobody thinks of [winter] anymore, except Russia,” Putin said on Sunday, according to The New York Times. “There are ways of helping resolve the issue. First, to immediately stop hostilities and start restoring the necessary infrastructure. To start replenishing reserves, conducting the necessary repair operations and preparing for the cold season.”

Geysar Gurbanov, a Rotary international world peace fellow currently at Harvard, recently explained the leverage that Putin has over Ukraine as the temperature drops.

"According to the U.S. Energy Information Agency, [Ukraine's] primary energy consumption is fueled by natural gas (40%) and coal (28%)," Gurbanov writes in The Duke Chronicle. "With winter coming to Ukraine in less than four months and the coal mines located in the easternmost part of the country ravaged by conflict, Ukrainians will freeze in their homes as their gas supplies from Russia are depleted. Therefore, if the rebels fail to achieve their goal, Gazprom, Russia’s energy giant, will help Putin to win the war eventually."

So Putin's remark could be interpreted as a veiled threat signaling that if Ukraine's army doesn't back down against the separatists (and embedded Russian soldiers), then Moscow will use gas as a weapon.
    In 2013, Russian gas accounted for half of the total gas consumed in Ukraine. On June 16, Russia cut off gas supplies to Ukraine over unpaid bills. Earlier this month, Gazprom said that Ukraine's outstanding debt for gas supplies stood at $5.3 billion as of Aug. 1.

Moscow has already said that Ukraine would have to prepay for future gas shipments unless Kiev begins payments on accumulated debts. The EU is currently trying to broker a deal that would allow shipments to resume temporarily.

In any case, Putin has the upper hand as Ukraine's gas reserves run out as winter sets in.

“Can Ukraine now survive without Russian gas? No, it can’t," Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk said earlier this month, according to RIA Novosti.

http://www.businessinsider.com/putins-ukraine-trump-card-winter-2014-8

There are other sources of energy, particularly natural gas. The US could certainly have the capacity to supply Europe, and with Russia's supply cut off, the perfect storm of opportunity and ability to stick it to a rival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

There are other sources of energy, particularly natural gas. The US could certainly have the capacity to supply Europe, and with Russia's supply cut off, the perfect storm of opportunity and ability to stick it to a rival.

Russia will sell to china, remember this is not about Ukraine, it's the response from the west to the BRICS deal

but you see they dont. thats fairlyland stuff. its nonsense.

Recent entreaties by various US politicians to help wean Europe off of Russian gas are simply preposterous. The numbers don't add up, and they never will.

Let's begin with the facts:

16% of natural gas consumed in Europe flows through Ukraine

Europe, including all EU members plus Turkey, Norway, Switzerland, and the non-EU Balkan states, consumed 18.7 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of natural gas in 2013. Russia supplied 30% (5.7 Tcf) of this volume, with a significant amount flowing through Ukraine. EIA estimates that 16% (3.0 Tcf) of the total natural gas consumed in Europe passed through Ukraine's pipeline network, based on data reported by Gazprom and Eastern Bloc Energy.
    (Source)
    If the US wants Europe entirely off of Russian natural gas (NG), it will have to immediately replace 5.7 trillion cubic feet per year, or 15 billion cubic feet per day.

The entire set of US shale gas plays, which consist of 8 major plays and a slew of minor ones, cumulatively provide the US with 27 billion cubic feet per day. That is, just over half of the entire current US shale gas play would have to be dedicated to the European cause of eliminating Russian natural gas dependency.

And even with the shale plays, in April 2014 the US remains a net gas importer. In 2013, the most recent full year of data, the US had to import 1.3 trillion cubic feet to satisfy domestic consumption.

More pointedly, 2013 was a pretty cold winter, the kind that comes along every so often, and the US barely made it through that period without running dangerously low on NG as it was.

To make it through the heavy demands of winter natural gas must be stockpiled in advance. As a result, the gas storage report always shows seasonal builds and draw downs of natural gas:

In all my years of watching the energy statistics I've never seen NG storage get this low. Look how far below the average 5 year range it got...all the way down to just 800 billion cubic feet in storage.

And this was with the "shale gas miracle" chugging along merrily in the background.

If the US had magically managed to have the appropriate liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals all built and had wanted to completely supply Europe with US gas to replace Russian gas, it could have only done so for 53 days (800 bcf/15 bcf/day) before the US would have completely run out of its gas in storage.

Of course, this could never be done. If NG ever gets too low in storage, you run the risk of having the pressure drop in all the associated pipelines and delivery systems to such a low level that things have to be shut down. Pilot lights go out, system pressures falter in some areas before others, turbines can't be run, and industrial processes terminate.

If you thought the winter of 2013 was hard, imagine it with the added specter of having to re-light every residential pilot light in a region. There are not enough service people to do that.

And well before a crisis moment like that arrives, a form of utility triage would be implemented; Step 1 of which would be shutting off exports of LNG to Europe and any other ex-US destinations.

What then would Europe do? Freeze and suffer through its own chain of shortage-related failures because the US could not actually supply what was needed?

What would quickly happen is that Europe would return to Russia for at least part of its gas needs. So all that the US could ever do, realistic or not, is supplant some of Russia's role as NG supplier to Europe.

ngs.gif
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-20/us-gas-will-never-replace-russian-gas-europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Fantastic effort there, your mental flexibility to get around the facts of the situation and spin the blame back on NATO/ the rest of Europe is impressive.

This argument that the Ukrainians started this mess by attacking ethnic Russians is demonstrably false. Russia created this situation by supporting insurrectionists in Crimea and then sending in troops, violating another countries borders. The same actions that are now occurring in the East of the country.

Oh yeah and who exactly are the ones that are dropping those bombs on the people in the East only the goverment in Kiev. They are ones who are responsible for the destruction and death being caused and no one else. NATO and America cheer it all the way. 'Kill your own people to carry out our agenda' is their philosophy.

Your comment about Russia supporting insurrection's in Crimea is laughable. First of all the democratically elected President was illegally overthrown, and puppets installed. Russia legally have their Black Sea Fleet there. Do you honestly think the they would allow that to be handed over to an illegitimate Kiev goverment, for the US/NATO to then stroll right in?

Do you not know that over half of the population there are also ethnic Russians. They welcomed the Russian troops with open arms, and since it's annexation no uprising, no violence, no deaths have occurred. That's speaks for itself.

I'm guessing you'd say what the hell lets go in and bomb the Crimean people, and force them to be part of Ukraine even though they don't want to be, and in all fairness I wouldn't either. Look at the way Kiev are dropping bombs and killing those civilians in Donetsk and Luhansk. You wouldn't put up that from Kiev if you had to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Conas wrote: »
    Oh yeah and who exactly are the ones that are dropping those bombs on the people in the East only the goverment in Kiev. They are ones who are responsible for the destruction and death being caused and no one else. NATO and America cheer it all the way. 'Kill your own people to carry out our agenda' is their philosophy.

Your comment about Russia supporting insurrection's in Crimea is laughable. First of all the democratically elected President was illegally overthrown, and puppets installed. Russia legally have their Black Sea Fleet there. Do you honestly think the they would allow that to be handed over to an illegitimate Kiev goverment, for the US/NATO to then stroll right in?

Do you not know that over half of the population there are also ethnic Russians. They welcomed the Russian troops with open arms, and since it's annexation no uprising, no violence, no deaths have occurred. That's speaks for itself.

I'm guessing you'd say what the hell lets go in and bomb the Crimean people, and force them to be part of Ukraine even though they don't want to be, and in all fairness I wouldn't either. Look at the way Kiev are dropping bombs and killing those civilians in Donetsk and Luhansk. You wouldn't put up that from Kiev if you had to live there.
    any sources to back that nonsense up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭mmmcake

The very latest Russian artillery , armoured vehicles in there 100's .air defence systems , drones .
    and special forces only issued gear .

They found these in an army surplus store ?
    Currently there are no listing for army surplus stores in eastern Ukraine .

Still no proof only conjecture.
    Army surplus store, don't know what it would be called in that part of the world, you can be certain something similar exists in every country world wide. I believe Jamaica and a few small caribbean countries are the only places in the world where you cannot buy army camouflage clothing
    As for weapons, anything the USA army has can be bought in a store in the USA, why not the same in Ukraine or Russia. Anyway did the rebels not capture large weapons dumps in the early days of the war.

New sanctions are DOA,Read this morning that Czech republic and Slovakia have said they will veto any new sanctions. Cold winter time in central Europe and they get their gas from Russia, they not going to freeze for Ukraine.

I think its just about saving face now for NATO, Russia has the upper hand in all areas and it has not played its aces gas and oil.

The loses keep stacking up for Europe, how long will the EU politicians support a country not in the EU.
    France has only delayed the delivery of the war ships, they will meet the terms of the contract after a small delay. If they don't their reputation as a reliable partner will be shattered, if you where India,Brazil,China or another country would you buy any weapons off them knowing that they might not deliver.They have too much to lose, delivery will happen, jobs will be lost otherwise.

• Advertisement

You cannot not prove otherwise.

Sure they are losing the plot, Ukrainian government intends to approve Yatsenyuk’s border wall plan,the border with Russia is 2,295 km long. They want the broke EU to pay for it.
    Yatsenyuk wants a 4 metre wide and 2 metre deep ditch to keep the russians from invading.
    It sounds like something you would read on The Onion web site.

mmmcake wrote: »
    You cannot not prove otherwise.

Sure they are losing the plot, Ukrainian government intends to approve Yatsenyuk’s border wall plan,the border with Russia is 2,295 km long. They want the broke EU to pay for it.
    Yatsenyuk wants a 4 metre wide and 2 metre deep ditch to keep the russians from invading.
    It sounds like something you would read on The Onion web site.

Where is all this exactly ,

Have you anything to back up what your claiming

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fig of Fallacy

Icepick wrote: »

Not sure what part of the post your referring to as nonsense. If by any chances your referring to the claims that Kiev has embarked on a murder spree against civilians in the east of the country while trying to seize those areas, you should think again.

A big part of this current problem/argument we are all having is that the western audiences have not seen the carnage on TV screens or elsewhere (or at least its been heavily sanitized in order to make Kiev out as good guys etc).

What the Kiev government has done in the east is almost at the same level as what was happening in Gaza. Just less than a thousand civilians have been killed by indiscriminate shelling and bombing. Hundreds of thousands of people have fled over the border to Russia.

When the russian aid convoys were going into the besieged areas the NATO countries were screaming invasion and so was Kiev! You cant get more immoral and outrageous than that.

Not sure what part of the post your referring to as nonsense. If by any chances your referring to the claims that Kiev has embarked on a murder spree against civilians in the east of the country while trying to seize those areas, you should think again.

A big part of this current problem/argument we are all having is that the western audiences have not seen the carnage on TV screens or elsewhere (or at least its been heavily sanitized in order to make Kiev out as good guys etc).

What the Kiev government has done in the east is almost at the same level as what was happening in Gaza. Just less than a thousand civilians have been killed by indiscriminate shelling and bombing. Hundreds of thousands of people have fled over the border to Russia.

When the russian aid convoys were going into the besieged areas the NATO countries were screaming invasion and so was Kiev! You cant get more immoral and outrageous than that.

I seem to remember you saying about genocide and racist crimes perpetuated by the Ukrainian government.
    Recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

no sources, just waffle again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Sources all over the place. No uprising, violence, or deaths have been reported in Crimea since they voted to be part of Russia. Unless now you can prove us all to the contrary I'll happily listen. Must be painful for you to know that US/NATO and their puppets in Kiev can't impose their warmongering, corrupt way of life on the people there. As the overwhelming majority of the people wanted to be unified with Russia. So put up with it, if you truly want peace.

Where is all this exactly ,

Have you anything to back up what your claiming

why was your post above mine deleted?

Unlike you post which claimed there is a russian invasion, yet offers zero proof, the Ukraine wall plan can be verified.
    A quick google will provide many sources of proof
    washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/09/03/the-maginot-line-didnt-stop-the-nazis-could-a-wall-save-ukraine/

So Yatsenyuk was hand picked by the US to lead the ukraine, the chosen one, the david moyes of ukraine politics, its speaks volumes about the quality they had to pick from.
    He is either mad or delusional, possibly both.

I seem to remember you saying about genocide and racist crimes perpetuated by the Ukrainian government.
    Recently

I said "If you lived in crimea, and you voted to join back with russia, then you had to witness the other eastern parts of ukraine fall victims to a genocidal rascist crime spree by NATO backed Kiev..................... then you would have a very different point of view."

Elements in the Ukrainian army are racist towards the people in the regions they are trying to get ahold of. Many cases of shelling civilian areas and other such things is what has lead to this death toll, not fog of war or accidents.

Is the death toll too low for you to consider it genocidal? Perhaps collateral damage would be the term in different circumstances. I beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

no sources, just waffle again

Mod: Attack the post, not the poster, thanks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

w w w.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/rbth/politics/11067547/ukraine-crisis-truth-mh17.html

(spaces in link between the www)

From article -> interview with Sergei Lavrov

"The cost in human life of this conflict has already been high and tens of thousands of people have been displaced because of the fighting. How do you view the humanitarian situation in Ukraine?

The humanitarian situation in the Lugansk and Donetsk regions of Ukraine is catastrophic and continues to deteriorate. And it is not only our view. This assessment is widely shared in the United Nations, including the UN Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs, in the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and in the Council of Europe.

More than 2,000 people have been killed and more than 5,000 wounded, many of them children. There is an acute shortage of food and medicine and growing risk of outbreaks of infectious diseases.

More than 200,000 people in Lugansk are deprived of electricity, drinking water and means of communication. A lot of people have fled the area of conflict. Since April 1, nearly 775,000 Ukrainian citizens entered the Russian territory, and 190,000 Ukrainians applied for a refugee status in Russia.

Temporary shelters have been put up in our country to accommodate tens of thousands of refugees. Under these circumstances it is crucial to ensure the immediate supply of humanitarian aid to the people of south-eastern Ukraine."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement