Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book flight now or last minute for New York?

Options
  • 29-01-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi guys,

Myself and boyfriend are finishing final year of college in May so we want to go to New York for a week or so at the end of May/start of June time. We are flexible with dates.

We want to save a bit of money if we can so we are wondering would it be cheaper to try get a last minute deal for flights or is it a case the sooner you book the better?? We don't mind booking a few days in advance.

Anyone any ideas of what would be the best plan? Thanks very much! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I would book now to be honest. That time of year tends to be pretty busy due to holidays starting and J1'ers starting their summer.

Just figure out a price that you're happy paying and look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would agree. Last minute deals are not always possible to get. You are risking a lot by waiting. I would book now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I would agree. Last minute deals are not always possible to get. You are risking a lot by waiting. I would book now.

+1 The North Atlantic is a major source of profit for Aer Lingus so it's quite possible that as a policy they'd be prepared to let planes go with empty seats rather than allow the myth to develop that you can wait until the last minute to get bargain seats. As long as seat sales are going well, they will probably screw anyone who looks for a flight at the last minute.

Airlines are the same as holiday tour companies in that they have to plan capacity in advance and for sure if they get it badly wrong and there's excess capacity (i.e. they overestimate demand), they can be forced to let seats go at knockdown prices but as long as demand is reasonably matching expectations, they prefer not to get into price slashing because if the public sniff a sale in the offing, advance bookings will dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rogorose

Thanks for writing back guys, I really appreciate it!! have booked flights twice before within Europe so not very experience with how these prices go! I agree its a risk leaving it till last minute so I'm going to shop around and get something sorted these days! Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to it :)

Advertisement